+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Getting reaaally fed up now! in Technical; To say I am cheesed off with my Ruckus wireless system is putting it extremely mildly. Thanks to my last ...

Thank Post

Getting reaaally fed up now!

To say I am cheesed off with my Ruckus wireless system is putting it extremely mildly.

Thanks to my last post on Edugeek I made contact with a very nice man with the same name as me from a company called c-p-ltd who were incredibly kind and sent me a Ruckas loan kit of the 1GHz dual band AP's so I could see whether or not they were worth investing in. We had up to then 30 - 10/100 AP's which are zf2942 Ap's. Having tried out the zf7363 1GHz dual band I was blown away by the performance. The max through put we ever measured with the zoneflex was 28mbp/s on the old ones. With a new laptop which was n ready and the only one of two in the entire school(!) I got a throughput speed of 132Mbp/s.

we called in some "experts" to review our wired network who said our installer had basically fitted the netgear PoE switches (unmanaged midspan injection of PoE) into a port in a 48 port switch with a 1Gb feed, so in reality the PoE switch would get 1/48th 1Gb max in worst case scenarion and this was divided between four AP's - then you divide it by the clients... you get the picture!

So I bought 7 of the new AP's from C-p-ltd and they were here within two days and I spent last half term installing them. It has made a more reliable connection in our languages area, but because they are not n capable not that much of a difference yet. We still have problems getting 15 to login.

Do I really have to replace every laptop before I see any real improvement?

Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    depends on the laptop...Acers are notoriously rubbish at wireless (from personal experience)...toshiba's would be good to go with and work reliably with ruckus.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply Nephilim (interesting choice of name that!)

I have really gone off Acers and do not buy any now. Our problem is most fo the laptops we struggle to connect with are 5 years old - yet I get blamed for it not working! The language ones work better now that we updated the realtek drivers to the latest. They are all HP 550's and about three years old now. It's just that I cannot get more than 15 laptops to login in one teaching room - but the AP is the other side of a wall. every where the signal is excellent but logging in seems to be problematic and we do not use roaming profiles. We delete local profiles once a term to avoid unneccesary login delays.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the name comment

The 5 year old laptops will be an issue, but not much of one. They will most likely be working to a B/G standard, which will make the AP go to that standard unless you got the dual band ones (in which case that wont matter).

As for the laptops not logging in, have you checked the event logs on the dashboard on the zone director as well as the event viewer on the laptops?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Warning with the Toshiba's I have seen a model we got as a prize result have possibly the worst wifi ever, it basically was useless and LOTS were complaining about it.

6. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

SimpleSi (5th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    I have a ruckus wireless system and some of my laptops are old Dell 505s - they connect fine - even in a classroom with 16 netbooks logged on to the same AP. Obviously they are slower but you would expect that.
    I also have 4 Tosh Sat Pros which connect reliably as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    we called in some "experts" to review our wired network who said our installer had basically fitted the netgear PoE switches (unmanaged midspan injection of PoE) into a port in a 48 port switch with a 1Gb feed, so in reality the PoE switch would get 1/48th 1Gb max in worst case scenarion and this was divided between four AP's - then you divide it by the clients... you get the picture!
    Those are PoE switches - what you maybe need is a proper PoE injector midspan, which simply adds PoE to individual network connections. You would plug each port you wanted to enable PoE on from your main 48-port switch to the midspan, and then from the midspan out to the PoE device. Each device would, at worst, get 1/48th of the available bandwidth, not 1/48th between all PoE devices, although in practice I doubt the throughput of your switch is actually a problem.

Thank Post
    See if you can identify what channel is causing the problem .. In one of my schools we had all sorts of problems until I found that channel 6 for some reason didn't work in a section of the the school ... I used Inssider 2 to log the ch6 signal and found that there were lots of dropouts etc ... I avoid channel 6 in that part of the school and all is well now ... What's causing the dropouts I don't know .. but in that particular school they cannot even get a mobile signal in parts of it ....

10. Thanks to Brpilot99 from:

SimpleSi (5th July 2011)

Thank Post
    If your laptops support 802.11a you can stick them on the 5Ghz a/n band. I found this had better performance for my laptop suite as our 7363 Ruckus was placed in the same room. At 2.4Ghz they were syncing about 24-36mbit while the other half were deciding to connect an an AP further away because of all the wireless traffic I guess. Now I have them all connecting at 54mbit in the 5Ghz band, it's noticeably faster and with less connection problems.

Thank Post

Great Idea

Thanks for that tip. I did not even think this would make a difference. I will investigate this.

Thank Post
    Hi,

What is the location of these AP's?

Are they connected or within a 100 metre radius of your core switch? If so, do you have 7 spare 10/100/1000 gb ports on your core switch? if you do, you could have them cabled to your core and you would have a connection as fast as it possibly can be for your current set-up. This isn't a massive job at all.

If you don't have any spare gigabit ports, you could look into the cost for a module. We have a HP 4108GL and a refurbished 6 port module cost me around £100. A 24 port is £675.00

if on an edge switch, each Ruckus AP is like a 30 port switch. If this is just connected to a port on a switch which as you say has another 47 ports then the bandwidth is limited to the pipe going from that edge switch to the core. Are other switches in the cabinet also sharing this pipe?

If it's an edge cabinet, how many actual fibres do you have? 1 x OM1 fibre? total, 1 per switch, etc?

Gary

Thank Post

AP locations

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I have thought of all that. Our site has ten buildings spread apart physically with 1Gb Mulimode fibre between them. Each building has at least one edge switch at the receiving end of the cable from the core. We are maxed out on fibre connections with all 12 being used (some buildings have two fibres going to them, hence 12. In the science block I ran a new 1Gb cable last half term and used a cheap HP switch which has the new 1Gb AP's plugged into these using Mid-span injectors (this was cheaper than buying a dedicated PoE switch for just 4 AP's). This way the 4 AP's have a dedicated 1Gb feed from the Core switch. However we still struggle to get 15 laptops in together, but these are all HP nx6325 running XP Pro with a b\g network card.

We are replacing our core switch on 18th July to provide us with a 24 port 1Gb Optic Module. This will provide a further 12 optic links which will allow us direct 1Gb feeds for data direct to the AP's. However because I am also replacing 3 edge switches to provide 1Gb on the desktop we are also provide proper PoE switches in these areas. It all conmes down to affordability I'm afraid. Ideally I would buy all new 1Gb dual band Ruckas AP's and buy laptops with n ready wireless built in.

I found through experience NOT to use an n ready USB adapter because the computer does not pre-authentic properly and mapped drives under this scenario do not map properly leaving our users with no home drive h\:

Mark
    Last edited by Dantech; 5th July 2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo errors

Thank Post
    Is purchasing some high powerered standard pcmcia cards an option?

4 AP's sharing a 1Gb pipe to the core should be sufficient. The type of switch they are connected to may make a difference. Are you using romaing, madatory profiles, etc...how big is it?

I take it when you get your new core switch you are going to utilise the spare fibre that is your 8 other cabinets? The gbic modules are pricey but you will have nearly double the bandwidth available with this change.

We're looking at a whole school wireless solution at the moment...this post has helped.

Thank Post

PCMCIA Cards

Quote Originally Posted by ronnoco View Post
    Is purchasing some high powerered standard pcmcia cards an option?

4 AP's sharing a 1Gb pipe to the core should be sufficient. The type of switch they are connected to may make a difference. Are you using romaing, madatory profiles, etc...how big is it?

I take it when you get your new core switch you are going to utilise the spare fibre that is your 8 other cabinets? The gbic modules are pricey but you will have nearly double the bandwidth available with this change.

We're looking at a whole school wireless solution at the moment...this post has helped.
    Hi

Look at Aruba too. Their system broadcasts on one channel and appears to get over the simultaneous login issue. To rip out the Ruckas after investing nearly £20 in the last 3 years is not something I would do lightly.

I am thinking of trunking two 1Gb ports to provide a 2Gb feed to a couple of areas where laptops are used heavily.

Thanks for the suggestion about the PCMCIA cards - I have not used these for so long that I forgot these may work. I will look at cost and availability.

Best of luck with your search. By the way our system was originally installed by Nexgen Solutions and worked well for the first year until we introduced Vista. We dsicovered that IP 6 screwed things up so we have turned this off on all our network. However one day in the not too distant future we may have to use it as the IP addresses have all run out!

Mark

Thank Post
    We actually have Ruckus already. We purchased it earlier this year for a new co-location build. Although it's not gone in the build yet because it's not finished, we have used 1 AP in a mini ICT Suite and have been been very pleased with it.

We have a room with 18 Dell Optiplex computers, all with Cisco Linksys dual band PCI wireless cards conencted to 1 Ruckus AP. This AP is patched to the gigabit port on a HP Procurve 10/100 switch which it shared with another 20 computers. There is a 1 Gb OM1 fibre back to the core. Machines are a mixture of Windows 7 and XP and generally speaking, it all works well.

The bandwidth for your example really shouldn't be a problem. I would try the PCMCIA cards. USB in my experience have never been great. PCMCIA will be quicker. Just make sure you get the correct type because there are 3 versions now.

Good luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast