+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Getting reaaally fed up now! in Technical; Hi Thanks for your feedback. Do you not have problems logging in 15 machines at once. I assume your wireless ...

Thank Post

Logging in not a problem?

Hi

Thanks for your feedback. Do you not have problems logging in 15 machines at once. I assume your wireless cards are n ready?

Mark

Thank Post
    I have no problem with 32 logging in although 5-10 usually decide to connect to another AP. What speed are they connecting at? It sounds like an interference problem rather than a bandwidth problem. Might be worth making sure there are no overlapping APs on that channel. I've found Ruckus will sometimes automatically stick itself in a busy channel so I set my channels manually.

Thank Post

Manually setting channels

All our channels are set by the zone director. It had not occurred to me to set the channels manually. I think interference is the problem and I think too many AP's are close to each other. I am seriously looking at investing in a Wi-Spy device to see what is really happening on the wavebands.

The main problem area is science where we have two blocks seperated by a 12 foot gap and I see overlap between them. Once science teachers laptop constantly swaps between one AP and another because they have similar signal strengths.

Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    All our channels are set by the zone director. It had not occurred to me to set the channels manually. I think interference is the problem and I think too many AP's are close to each other. I am seriously looking at investing in a Wi-Spy device to see what is really happening on the wavebands.

The main problem area is science where we have two blocks seperated by a 12 foot gap and I see overlap between them. Once science teachers laptop constantly swaps between one AP and another because they have similar signal strengths.

Mark
    Take a look at inSSIDer | MetaGeek its free and a good tool to start with.

Last edited by ZeroHour; 6th July 2011 at 11:43 AM.

Thank Post
    If you have an android phone you can get Wifi Analyzer from the marketplace or just use inSSIDer and a laptop.

Edit: ZH beat me to it!

Thank Post
    I've not seen any problems and there have been no complaints regarding the speed. We did have to move the location of the AP as originally we had it in a room opposite, no too far away but the signal going through 2 walls wasn't great. Now we have the AP in the same room, it serves all 18 really well. We always use windows built in software for managing wireless connections, never the supplied software.

The cards are Cisco Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N PCI (both size back planes included) and they cost 23.00 from Ebuyer.

Baring in mind the AP is only connected on a 10/100 switch, shared with other computers, they work really well. I have been really suprised as it's a PE room and they spend a lot of their time on youtube or sports websites with video.

We are now seriously looking at the whole school solution. I like the idea of buying a new POE core switch to stack to our 2 X HP4108GL's. My thinking is running all AP's in the 100 metre range back to this. I'm still not sure on this, it seems very messy. Ideally we would use our exissting cabinets but I just don't think the links are quick enough despite the good performance from the Ruckus at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

Sound advice

Hi

A big thanks to Mark from Computer Products Ltd | Home who rang and discussed my issue. He has come up with some straight forward practical things to try:

• Reduce the power on the AP's which are close together
    • I have a Wi-Fi Analyzer free App on my Android Phone and can use this to check for general bandwidth crowding
    • Check from the Ruckas web console how many AP's can be seen from a classroom and turn down the power so these are not fighting for the connection

I had another really good idea to increase the bandwidth available for the AP's in one science block. Since I now have two Optic fibres from the core going to the science blaock I will trunk these to provide a 2Gb backbone and then the 4 AP's and the 4 wired PC's will have 2Gb to share! I will do this this summer.

Mark
    Last edited by Dantech; 6th July 2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Typo's

Thank Post
    What authentication methods are you using? We have had some problems with laptops not connecting because they failed the radius authentication. If you log in to one of the problematic laptops with a local account and watch it try to connect.

We have found some wifi drivers don't work at all well, and have had to hunt down different drivers to the ones that the manufacturers list. Our Toshiba M40s and Samsung NP210+s where particularly bad for this. The M40s wouldn't talk wpa2, the 210+s where very slow and hung when trying to do a windows update. We have also found we have fewer problems with windows 7 laptops than windows xp.

Thank Post

Authentication Methods Used

Hi Chris

We use WPA2 and you are right we do not have a problem with Windows 7 laptops (we can't afford new ones). When the system first went in everything was XP and we did not have anywhere near the problems we have now. Like you the exact drivers are crucial to success. We had a Realtek driver on the HP 550 Laptops (we have 90 of these) had a known issue, but after updating them all we are having few problems with them and they have Windows 7 on them now. The science ones are old running XP and I need to find time to update these drivers. I found this same wireless card in my Toshiba brand new n ready laptop and always had random disconnection problems at home on my Belkin Router but wierdly not on the Ruckas at work. After updating the driver the speed of connection leapt at home and with the Ruckas.

The company that installed it did not raise the issue of suitable drivers and suitable wireless cards. I discovered Ruckas do have a less of tested ones, but obviously that can't test all of them. Unfortunately for the unwitting IT Manager who buys laptops based on price and features the wireless card was not scrutinized. If I were buying a new laptop now I would be really carefully to ensure it had wireless n and had a driver I could investigate before I bought it.

My advice to everyone is to update to the latest driver on ALL the wireless devices.

Thank Post
    I just want to say out of sheer desperation I e-mail Ruckus direct and explained my problem and experience with my Support people. They have been brilliant and are going to send someone to sort it out. I have had someone ring me straight away and has gone off to analyse the data. I really hope they fiond the cause.

Interstingly has anyone checked the CPU utilization on the real time monitoring screen. I am seeing 100% CPU utilization every few minutes and that is today when our entire network core switch was replaced and only 3 clients connected to the system! I wonder if my Zone director is faulty. Can someone please look at theirs and tell me what is "normal".Mon-5-min-3-clients.JPG

Take a loook at the attachment of the 5 minute graph. It does not seem normal to me.

Thank Post
    I just registered so I could reply regarding wireless on Acer. I found an easy solution to my Acer laptop wireless problem. For $13 I purchased an Airlink101 AWLL5088. I think it is the smallest USB N wireless device you can get. I've had it for 2 weeks and all my wireless issues have been resolved.

I wanted the smallest device possible because I want to simply keep the device permanently plugged into the laptop.

Dan
    (I don't work for Acer or Airlink.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I just registered so I could reply regarding wireless on Acer. I found an easy solution to my Acer laptop wireless problem. For $13 I purchased an Airlink101 AWLL5088. I think it is the smallest USB N wireless device you can get. I've had it for 2 weeks and all my wireless issues have been resolved.

I wanted the smallest device possible because I want to simply keep the device permanently plugged into the laptop.

Dan
    (I don't work for Acer or Airlink.)
    Hi - Thanks for you feedback. I used a USB n wireless adaptor a Cisco WUSB600n which is Dual-Band Wireless -N and found that the pre-athentication did not complete in time. In other words you have to wait until windows has fully loaded before the USB drivers for the adaptor load and by then the drive mapping in the network login script which maps the users h: drive has failed. Therefore the users ring to say they cannot access their work. The solution to this is to manually map the drive everytime (or I suppose you could schedule it but I never tried) or get them to logout and in again. We do not get this problem with built in wireless adaptors. I know if I had the money to replace all my laptops and replace my Access points with 1 Gb ones that the whole thing would be a lot better. Unfortunately we do not have the funding to do this at the moment. Maybe there is some company out there who would like to donate us some! No? I guess they are just as strapped for cash as everyone else. That is why this year I invested in improving the infrastructure in readiness for new laptops.

Mark

Thank Post
    Hi Everyone

Two years on and things are totally different. I would not have anything else but Ruckus. My wireless is rock solid reliable and this last year we have had no problems at all. What made the difference I guess you are saying?

1. I VLAN'd the network - no more broadcasts flooding my network on one flat VLAN
    2. I was allowed to put new Dual Band AP's in each classroom where they were really needed (the old ones were put in corridors serving three classrooms.
    3. I discovered steel re-enforced concrete floors in libraries and other blocks may give 5 bars on the signal but actual throughput of data was terrible with only 3 to 5 laptops working.
    4. Fit your AP's (one per teaching space) in the middle of the ceiling (mine were put in the void sitting on the ceiling tile itself) beaming down ontp the lids. So they effectively all have line of sight.
    5. Get your Microsoft deployment image done right - the Microsoft way.
    6. Provide an optic fibre feed direct from the core switch to the PoE Switch powering the AP's - don't piggy back off of a switch with 46 computers on! This is how Nexgen set it up originally and it is just asking to fail.

Mark

Many thanks to the UK MD at Ruckus for saving my job! Also above advice from the top radio guys recommended by Ruckus who we paid (reduced rate) to do a days survey and recommend the changes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12