+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Network over mains cabling in Technical; Originally Posted by mb2k01 While we're eBuyer'ing, these are the ones I have Extra Value 200Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack.. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    While we're eBuyer'ing, these are the ones I have Extra Value 200Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack.. | Ebuyer.com

Edit: Doh! Same as above!
    Not they're not as has just been pointed out to me the value ones listed above are pass through ones, your's aren't which is good to know as they are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by adhutton View Post
    They aren't pass-through ones. The Ebuyer Extra Value model still lets you use the plug for something else which at home is very useful.

A
    Ah yes I can see that thanks for pointing that out looks like a good idea. If only they incorporated power monitoring as well

Ben

Thank Post
    I've used the Devolo ones to great effect. Their advantage is that they come with a security app so you can encrypt any data sent between them. Slows access down a little but probably a good plan if, like me, you've got a web-savvy weirdo living next door (and therefore possibly on the same mains circuit).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Don't all homeplug devices have to have a key set on them?

Ben

Thank Post

silly question but.....

if you have one of these connected on your house mains, sure the next house in the street, that is on the same colour phase as yourself will have access to your internet/network connection?

does it carry so far?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm good point.

Even the cheap ones mention the encryption, but that's just applicable to data interception. What about Mr&Mrs Freeloder next door fancying a bit of your plump bandwidth?

I guess it's best to fork out for ones that have got some proper security.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    if you have one of these connected on your house mains, sure the next house in the street, that is on the same colour phase as yourself will have access to your internet/network connection?

does it carry so far?
    no it does not work like that..

the meter will stop that from happening.. if it's a digital one. plus some of them will not work over more that 1 rcd on the fuse board.
    the Netgrar 200mb and 1gb ones say that work over 3 rcd's but i have never got them to work over 3 rcd's.

as most fuse boards have [main switch] [RCD] jacuzzi / playroom [RCD] cooker trip / lights down /lights up/ other.
    crap [RCD] mains up / mains down / ...

unless you have old fuses with fuse wire and mechanical meeter.. then be friend a neighbour 3 houses up and check there mains....

Street order for the coloured phases should be ..... red, yellow, blue.
    But it never works out like that..

use to work for powergen..

7. Thanks to Cools from:

farmerste (1st July 2011)

Thank Post
    I've used the Devolo boxes for a number of clients. They've been very good and the new ones which create a wireless access point are even better. Software is good (now they've got the bugs out of it) and the security is effective.

I recall reading, somewhere or other, that they cause a huge amount of interference to radio waves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post

does it carry so far?
    In my experience there are times when it will struggle to get across the internal ring mains.

My system would ontly work on one ring main either up stairs or down but for some reason it struggled to go between both. Equally if you have double plugs etc it will lose speed.

In my 100 year old house with the older style fuse blocks I was also getting about 50/Mbs using AV200 boxes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    They've been very good and the new ones which create a wireless access point are even better.
    That's what I've bought - one "normal" one by the router and one wireless one so my phone can connect from the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    I recall reading, somewhere or other, that they cause a huge amount of interference to radio waves.
    That's a shame - I have a radio alarm clock plugged in to the same double socket as the wireless is going to go...

Excellent nickname, by the way :-)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought the Solwise ones from my original link (only saw the link to the pass-through ones too late) and they work a treat. The wireless was a bit fiddly to set up, as I had to connect to it on a cable, swap my network card properties to match then log in and manage the wireless, but once set up it works fine. SSID and passwords match my main router, so I can now move (almost) seamlessly around the house. while browsing.

Thank Post

split load consumer box????

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    In my experience there are times when it will struggle to get across the internal ring mains.

My system would ontly work on one ring main either up stairs or down but for some reason it struggled to go between both. Equally if you have double plugs etc it will lose speed.

In my 100 year old house with the older style fuse blocks I was also getting about 50/Mbs using AV200 boxes
    i would imagine the problem here is because some houses are equiped with split load consumer units, where the sockets 'should' be on a RCD circuit, and lights etc are usually on just MCB ( min circuit breakers/fuses).
    perhaps the RCD circuit will absorb some of the energy, or perhaps the house is wired according to older-15th edition wiring, or a mixture of these?

Thank Post
    Good thread and i have been considering these for some time. Decided on 200mps model for budget / ADSL restrictions so which of these does the panel think is best?

TP-Link - £38

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Dink - £52

D-Link DHP-307AV/B 200 MBPS PowerLine Homeplug AV Network Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Solwise - £56

Solwise HomePlug AV Mini Push Button SecureSync - NET-PL-200AV-MINI

Thank Post
    Out of that list I'd go for the TP-Link - I very nearly did at the time, but then decided I'd try the eBuyer ones as I was ordering some other stuff from them at the time.
    Curious btw... Is there a reason you're not wanting to go for the eBuyer ones I did - they're a whole 50p cheaper, unless you're saving on postage?

Quote Originally Posted by snrweb View Post
    Good thread and i have been considering these for some time. Decided on 200mps model for budget / ADSL restrictions so which of these does the panel think is best?

TP-Link - £38

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Dink - £52

D-Link DHP-307AV/B 200 MBPS PowerLine Homeplug AV Network Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Solwise - £56

Solwise HomePlug AV Mini Push Button SecureSync - NET-PL-200AV-MINI

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Curious btw... Is there a reason you're not wanting to go for the eBuyer ones I did - they're a whole 50p cheaper, unless you're saving on postage?
    Only because they are all black

Thank Post
    Not commenting on these items in particular, but I've had some bad experiences with ebuyer value things before, kind of think there's a reason they're cheaper, if you know what I mean...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12