+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, New wired network - opinions welcome in Technical; I'm soon going to replace my current wired network with a new solution. Every active piece of kit in the ...

Thank Post

New wired network - opinions welcome

I'm soon going to replace my current wired network with a new solution. Every active piece of kit in the backbone will come out and be replaced.

I've currently got:
    2 x 24 fibre port core switches
    32 x 48 10/100/1000 Mbps port + 4 fibre port edge switches in 13 stacks of 1, 2, 3 or 4 switches.

I intend to keep the same topology. All switches are POE on every port, but I could reduce this down to 1 switch per stack. As you might expect, we make use of VLANs. I also want a system that gives good management information to a centralised console, so either one that has a decent piece of bespoke management software or provides good SNMP information for a standard piece of software.

Your opinions are welcome please, particuarly if you have recently upgraded / replaced your network.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanks to a public tender we are "forced" to take HP E4800 swtiches. These are former 3Com 4800G devices.
    We are running OSPFv2/v3 with PIM-SM (IPv4) so far.
    And yes, we are using this switch for core, distribution and access. You can stack these as well, although some additional modules are needed. One great thing is, that they also have HP´s lifetime (hardware) warranty.

specification sheet:
    HP E4800G Switch Series (QuickSpecs/c02514897.pdf)
    Last edited by snoerre; 23rd June 2011 at 12:59 PM.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I've done alot of work on the HP side of things and I lay my switches out with GIG at the top, POE middle and 10/100 bottom, I don't see the point in having ALL POE, just a waste, please see image attached on a simple cab layout.

SWITCH.jpg

HP ProCurve Manager software is pretty good for information on your network

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by todav View Post
    I've currently got:
    2 x 24 fibre port core switches
    32 x 48 10/100/1000 Mbps port + 4 fibre port edge switches in 13 stacks of 1, 2, 3 or 4 switches.
    Can I ask what's wrong with your current setup if you've already got stackable Gbit switches at the edge?

5. Thanks to paulfinlay from:

SimpleSi (23rd June 2011)

Thank Post
    At my last school we tendered and got a new Juniper network. Dual EX8208 Juniper core switches going out to 11 satelite cabinets with 2-4 EX4200 switches in them. The EX4200's were a combination of full PoE/partial PoE (all EX4200's have at least 8 PoE ports) and 24/48 port switches.

The EX4200 also have a stacking cable to turn them into a single unit. From our tender Juniper actually came out more cost effective (with install and training) then HP, Cisco, 3Com (they were just being bought by HP), Extreme networks and Brocade. They were also brilliant units

Would certainly recomend talking to net-ctrl about the possibility of a Juniper network and see what they can do for you!

7. Thanks to Soulfish from:

todav (28th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Sorry, I've been out of it for a few days:
    The current setup is poor. With both core switches on the network will fail, meaning I can only run it in a non-redundant state and at half the desired speed. This is a product issue, not a configuration issue. Also, without naming a brand name, the company is no longer around in its previous form and the upgrade and support paths are pretty weak. I never would have chosen this network and just want something reliable!

Thank Post
    Would certainly recomend talking to net-ctrl about the possibility of a Juniper network and see what they can do for you!
    Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Thank Post
    Juniper all the way - fantastic bit of it - I've heard that the kit they have now has a piece of software what tells you there's a fault on your network (if there ever was one) and pin points it so you know exactly where the problem is and it even tells you how to fix it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread