+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Cisco, Procurve and my wonderful county :) in Technical; So I have a Procurve (HP) network with 3 vlans, Curric, Admin and Videoconferencing. This covers the school nicely and ...
    Thank Post

Cisco, Procurve and my wonderful county :)

So I have a Procurve (HP) network with 3 vlans, Curric, Admin and Videoconferencing. This covers the school nicely and I don't think needs much explaining.

Prodived by County to connect to the internet I have a cisco router and switch with 24 ports. These have 4 vlans, Curric, Admin, We-learn and videoconferencing

On the county Cisco switch Port 1 is connected to the router, ports 2-10 are Curric, 11-16 are VC, 17-22 are Admin and 23 & 24 are We-learn.

From the county cisco switch I have a single connection from a port on the curric, admin and VC vlans into one of the Procurve switches. The ports on the procurve are set as untagged and to the correct vlan for each.

The various Procurves are connected by tagged connections (trunks for you cisco bods) and all work fine, they can connect to the county cisco on whatever vlan they are set to and then to the outside world.

So everything works fine. As you may have guessed I have no control over the county ciscos, hence I haven't simply trunked from the cisco to the procurves.

So I'm happy, everything works and its a lovely vlan setup so I can change things around real easy.

Now here is where things start to go wrong...

I've been given 2 48+2Gbit port Cisco Catalyst 2948G switches. They are pretty old, but they do work and it seems a terrible waste not to use em.

So I set one of them up to take a trunked/tagged connection from a Procurve. Set the vlans up to match the procurves, set dot1q-all-tagged so that even the native defafult vlan 1 is tagged and set the vtp to transparent.

Plug in to the procurve, takes it sweet time but before too long I can connect machines to it and they dhcp and can ping about the place on whatever vlan I set their port to. For the Admin and VC vlans, 2 and 4 are the IDs, I can reach the county cisco and get to the outside world.

However , for the Curric vlan (ID 1) I cannot reach the county cisco and worse still the port on the county cisco connected to my procurve shuts down and no one on the curric vlan can talk to the county cisco or get to the outside world, even those that previously could before I connected my cisco switch.

Now the first time I connected I got an error message coming up on the county cisco (I can at least connect to the console and see the error messages ) complained about SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1q BPDU on a non trunk FastEthernet 0/18 VLAN 3. So this was picking up a spantree message on the admin port connected to my procurve.
    It gave the same spantree message some other ports and blocked each port.

So I turned off spantree on my cisco and the county cisco stopped complaining and unblocked the ports... even told me it was unblocking them

So here I am, the admin and VC vlans are fine, but the curric one doesn't work. On the very slim chance anyone has come across something like this before, could you tell me where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: Cisco, Procurve and my wonderful county :)

Cisco default vlans (1) are not quite the same as all the rest as far as I understand it and there are some restrictions on their use. Its seems that vlan 1 on ciscos cannot carry tagged data. You need to use a different vlan ID for the curriculum vlan if you wish to use it with the cisco switches.

Thank Post

Re: Cisco, Procurve and my wonderful county :)

I've tried both tagging and untagging, but the same effect. I too had read that cisco default vlan cannot carry tagged data, but it offers me the command:-
    set dot1q-all-tagged enable
    Which returns:-
    Packets on Native vlan will be tagged.
    Which seems to suggest otherwise, anyway, I tried both already

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread