+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Network cable labelling in Technical; I'm just running all our new cabling for the shiny VMWare hosts we've bought in and was wondering what you ...
    Thank Post

Network cable labelling

I'm just running all our new cabling for the shiny VMWare hosts we've bought in and was wondering what you use to neatly label your cables?

Want something that goes around the cable and stays there... our usual labelling machine only wraps 1/2 way around the cable and it eventually starts coming off as it's not really designed for cabling

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I'm just running all our new cabling for the shiny VMWare hosts we've bought in and was wondering what you use to neatly label your cables?

Want something that goes around the cable and stays there... our usual labelling machine only wraps 1/2 way around the cable and it eventually starts coming off as it's not really designed for cabling
    Paper an sellotape for me (cheap skate i know)

I also use different colour cables. For example vMotion network card the cables are purple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries

4. Thanks to nephilim from:

gshaw (31st May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Paper an sellotape for me (cheap skate i know)

I also use different colour cables. For example vMotion network card the cables are purple.
    Yup the ones I ordered are multicoloured as well

Green for iSCSI network
    Yellow for vSphere admin \ vMotion
    Black for network links
    Purple for iLO
    Orange for DMZ

Think I'm going to look into those printable laminating labels, looks just the ticket

Thank Post
    Ohhh I'd also be interested to see what people do. Putting in a new network, so looking at labelling everything. Currently looking at getting a DYMO | RHINO 6000 but would be interested to hear what others are using

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    The rhino will automatically print flag labels for cables and there are cash back offers at the moment on the range.

Ben

Thank Post
    I use these cable labels

They are cable ties with a space to write on or stick a sticky label on

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Ohhh I'd also be interested to see what people do. Putting in a new network, so looking at labelling everything. Currently looking at getting a DYMO | RHINO 6000 but would be interested to hear what others are using
    Hope it lasts longer than my Dymo has its now sitting in its case as useless as anything, tbh I should have an argument with Dymo as its only printed maybe 2 tapes worth of stuff and the print quality is very poor.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Hope it lasts longer than my Dymo has its now sitting in its case as useless as anything, tbh I should have an argument with Dymo as its only printed maybe 2 tapes worth of stuff and the print quality is very poor.
    Had the same Dymo at my last place and tbh it lasted pretty well. Which model did you have?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Had the same Dymo at my last place and tbh it lasted pretty well. Which model did you have?
    The smaller one of the two Rhinos on the offer (cannot find the case as its buried under IT related stuff in my room!)

Thank Post
    @john If the print quality is bad, try cleaning the print head using a cotton bud with some cleaning fluid on (I use the Screen cleaner we've got) they print using thermal contact printing (even the ones with the black tape in still rely on thermal contact) but if there's a slight layer of crap on the print head it stops it working properly. You probably won' even see it, it only has to be a tiny layer to effect the print quality. Same goes for thermal fax printers and thermal receipt printers as they all work on the same principal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I don't label the cables. I label the patch panels with a label printer and I document what's plugged into every port in the switch.
    THere is zero pint in labelling cables - they can be moved around. It makes much more sense to document the switch ports properly and label the patch panels.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    @john If the print quality is bad, try cleaning the print head using a cotton bud with some cleaning fluid on (I use the Screen cleaner we've got) they print using thermal contact printing (even the ones with the black tape in still rely on thermal contact) but if there's a slight layer of crap on the print head it stops it working properly. You probably won' even see it, it only has to be a tiny layer to effect the print quality. Same goes for thermal fax printers and thermal receipt printers as they all work on the same principal.
    Tried that one already, using the spatula in the unit and no difference I think he heads duff in it, I argued with Dymo when I got it that the print was poor compared to my 8 year old model I bought the Rhino to replace it and they argued when I scanned a sample label that it was within tolerances I should have sent it back to where I bought it from as not suitable tbh and got my money back and got one from somewhere else.

Thank Post
    Velcro Straps(Adhere to themselves) - Easy to remove if you need to re-configure and come on a 20m roll.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't label the cables. I label the patch panels with a label printer and I document what's plugged into every port in the switch.
    THere is zero pint in labelling cables - they can be moved around. It makes much more sense to document the switch ports properly and label the patch panels.
    I guess it could be argued the cables patched into panel ports could be moved as well

These are server cables so won't be moving about anytime soon... as it's set up the rack doesn't have patch panels for server > switch connections so it's straight cabling from switches to servers which won't be touched once it's in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread