+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, 5Ghz Bridge Over Trees in Technical; We have three buildings A, B & C around 500 meters apart. We need to extend the network from A ...

Thank Post

5Ghz Bridge Over Trees

We have three buildings A, B & C around 500 meters apart. We need to extend the network from A into B & C. There is no line of sight between A and either B or C, they are obscured by a line of trees. Beside building B is a tall floodlight and there is direct line of sight point to point between this and the top of building A (picture below). Along that line, there is clearance of maybe 6 meters (diameter) between the centerpoint of the line and the top of trees.

wirelessbr.jpg

(Picture shows target floodlight pole (red arrow)). The Target building B is off to the left of the picture while building C is off to the right (blue and green arrows)).

We can mount equipment on the floodlight pole at the point marked by the red arrow and we can access power at the base of the floodlight and house equipment there (i.e. POE switch). There is line of sight between this point and buildings B & C.

Can anyone recommend suitable bridges, antenna's, cables, etc which will do the job? I've been looking at 5Ghz wireless bridges which I think will be suitable but any advice from anyone who actually knows this stuff would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by pcstru; 20th May 2011 at 09:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi PCSTRU,

this would be right up our/ our sister companies street, i'll drop you a PM with some further info.

3. Thanks to CPLTD from:

pcstru (20th May 2011)

Thank Post
    The Ubiquiti 5.8Ghz (Licensed) kit will cut through that.

You can install it yourself if you have the correct HSE/Risk Assesment and Working at Height Qualifications

These units will operate within the 5Ghz A Band if you select the Regional Compliance Option.
    If you choose to operate outside this you uncheck the box and it will operate on the 5.8Ghz Band at 1 Watt Output giving you enough power to get through the trees without an issue.
    The license is 50 should you wish to use that band and covers you for upto 50 radios all from the Ofcom Website.

5. Thanks to m25man from:

pcstru (20th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Interesting units, thanks. When you say 'cut through that' do you mean cut straight through the trees or bridge to the floodlight and then use a couple more units to form another bridge to the target buildings? I'd be a bit worried not having any LOS - we might get a signal but how degraded might it be in terms of speed?

Thank Post
    use mikrotik look at Landashop - Landashop, the Landatel's online shop

The Ubiquiti stuff is very good and simple to set up. My mums partner runs 5Ghz hotspot in tenerife using mikrotik stuff .
    Last edited by markcuk; 20th May 2011 at 03:52 PM.

8. Thanks to markcuk from:

pcstru (20th May 2011)

Thank Post
    I have a bridge where trees overhang the LOS and even in heavy rain/snow the trees that drift in/out of the LOS have no effect.
    I also run a Nanostation Bridge myself which links my workshop to my house OK its only 50 Meters away but both units armounted Internally (pointing towards each other also with trees in the way and no effect whatsoever).
    As the spec says these will work over 30Kms so a few hundred yards should not be an issue.

Your more likely to get grief from the tree hugging fraternity when the local wildlife starts growing second heads...

As for Mikrotik good stuff and many of the other bridge vendors use their stuff inside but their kit tends to be for professionals that need to build bespoke links they have little available straight from the box you need containment, Antennas pigtails etc..
    If you want Mikrotik your probably better off finding someone that has already put a product together with the boards in it. I cant be doing with building my own arrays... but it is good stuff.
    Last edited by m25man; 20th May 2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Typo

10. Thanks to m25man from:

pcstru (23rd May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    You could use 4 ubiquitis to create 2 bridges.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread