+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear Prosafe layer 3 switches - cost effective or put my money elsewhere? in Technical; Hi, I'm looking to improve our school's network infrastructure. Starting at the core, I have both the HP 5406zl and ...
    Thank Post

Netgear Prosafe layer 3 switches - cost effective or put my money elsewhere?

Hi,

I'm looking to improve our school's network infrastructure. Starting at the core, I have both the HP 5406zl and the Netgear Prosafe GSM7352S-200 in mind.

Both HP and Netgear provide lifetime warranties on these particular models. The netgear solution being 3x cheaper.

I'm tempted to go for the Netgear solution due to the fact that it has integrated 10Gb SFP+ ports, and 4 SFP ports, full layer 3 capabilities, 48x 1Gb copper, stacking capability with 48Gb redundant ring (additional modules, but the costs are so small compared). Also, Netgear's network management solution is very cost effective on comparison.

The HP is what most have and swear by it, and if money were not too much an issue then that would be my clear choice, but the features and price of the Netgear option look to good to ignore.

Brief current network setup;
    • HP 4104gl at core (to move from core by either option)
    • mix of 20 (HP and 3Com) switches around site
    • 300 PCs, Macs and laptops (72:8:20)
    • OM1 fiber between buildings (to be replaced by OM3)
    • will be a full star network, currently some daisy chaines in place.

What are your opinions on the Netgear option as a viable alternative?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If their purchasing support is anything like it is in New Zealand run in the opposite direction from anything Netgear offers you, it is a trap and a rip off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not go to 3com. Its owned by HP, and doesnt have the rip off pricing HP offers. 2 models (1 HP, 1 3com) which were identical in every respect, had big price difference, yet they had the same warranty and support cover.

Thank Post
    I've got a core stack that consists of GSM7352S-200, GSM7328S-200 and a GSM7352S-V1 and have no problems with them. Performance is good, they are easy to manage and as you state the price point is low for these when compared to other manufacturers.

I think that a lot of people see the Netgear name and get a bit of snobbery and just think that they only do home netowrking kit or they've been burnt by a cheap home router and this devalues the brand for them.

5. Thanks to mounters from:

Oops_my_bad (22nd May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My responce is not in regard to their low level gear but rather their enterprise gear and their mistreatment of the NZ market and consumers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    My responce is not in regard to their low level gear but rather their enterprise gear and their mistreatment of the NZ market and consumers.
    Whilst that may be the case in NZ, I've personally had no such problems here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mounters View Post
    Whilst that may be the case in NZ, I've personally had no such problems here.
    Exactly they may not be such douche bags to you guys at the moment but they certainly have the potential to be.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the repsonses so far, 3Com i thought were integrated into HP but, HP still seem to be running the 3Com product line separately as nephilim suggests.

Support is the main concern I have, as is the products capability. It would be interesting to know what kind of experience that you've had with them SYNACK?

@mounters - have you utilised the 10Gb ports and/or the stacking ability? Do you have other manufacturers switches and/or utilise VLANs?

Thank Post
    Yes the switches are stacked using the stacking kits, we do use VLANS and have a 3com switch connected up with a LAG (2*1Gb connections) as well as many other different models of Netgear switches with no problems.

I don't use the 10Gb ports yet, but hopefully will be for a storage project if I can get funding.
    Last edited by mounters; 8th April 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: addiitonal info

11. Thanks to mounters from:

camel (8th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My issue is a procurement one, Netgear have a habit of discontinuing lines with no notice and as we are in NZ they don't replace them instantly so we are now in a position where we can't buy more Netgear switches of the type and size that we want as they have none in NZ and won't get them. We have several Netgear switches already but literally can't get more in the apprpriate product line to add to our network. Their responce is pretty much 'you're in NZ, we don't care'.

Personally I would never choose Netgear stuff again and will tell others to hopefully prevent them from being sent up the river by Netgear. Sure they may be better in the UK and may actually care but if they can be so abrupt and unhelpful to us what might they do to you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I am looking at making a core of the Netgear switches this year, to support a 10G link to our 2nd campus in 2012. Pricing is looking good on the kit, however having just got the new disty catalogue today, I see that Netgear have a new range of switches for high end coming out very soon, and they are chassis switches so I may now hang on until I can find more info and pricing out on them as they could be a better core.

We use a lot of Netgear and they have been good, and when I needed to use Netgear support no issues with them, very efficient and helpful I know that @Dos_Box likes the Netgear range as well from discussions in the past so why spend more when Netgear have the stuff.

This is a link to the new Netgear Chassis Switch - http://www.netgear.com/images/XCM880...HR18-31485.pdf

Thank Post
    We have used the latest Netgear stuff in a Stacking configuration in several places recently because it was proving impossible to get an alternative solution with the desired configuration of copper, fibre and 10GBE in an at a realistic price.

You only need one Layer3 device in a stack to make the whole thing fully routable, the high density dual personality switch let us bring together all of the sites 16 fibre links together in the same stack as all of the servers.
    We have another connecting the 3node Hyper-v Cluster to it's ReadyNaS CSV at 10GBE

We have built 4 sites using the same configurations for almost a year now and never had them miss a heartbeat.

I'm totally vendor agnostic, HP's warranty service is fantastic there is no doubt on the few occasions I have needed to use it the "No Fuss, No Hassle" next day replacement flown in from Holland has been a lifesaver.

As a partner, Netgear are fantastic we get better contact and support than any other Vendor, however as an end user from experience I have to agree with Synack they need to improve a lot to be accepted as a major player.

Netgears Lifetime warranty has limitations, you often have to jump through hoops emailing copies of invoices to prove purchase dates and ownership and on average it has taken me upwards of 3 days to get a warranty replacement for a failed unit.

However, they have improved in other areas. Most of my Netgear Switch failures in the last 10 years have been a result of firmware upgrades gone wrong, leaving me with £1000 door stops.
    Now with Dual Images in flash, safe mode recovery and the ability to boot from USB on some units has eliminated this, so we are back to power supplies and fans being the most common point of failure and these are still quite rare and apply to most switch vendors.

Of course wherever you are in the world, you only get what you pay for, if your stack is going to cost you 1/3rd of the equivalent HP or Cisco it's pretty obvious that the supporting framework is likely to be less well structured?

Netgear probably provide the best overall cost per port in this market sector and support network aside are good value and at those savings having a spare unit is probably viable but the HP probably has the higher backbone capability so I would have to take a close look at the traffic requirements across this array and put my money with whichever vendor meets the requirements.

15. 3 Thanks to m25man:

camel (26th April 2011), john (9th April 2011), srochford (9th April 2011)

Thank Post
    The repsonses have been great so far. I've been researching further but I would like to get my hands on some kit to test. Does anyone know of hosted events or suppliers that will allow me to try out or trial Netgear switches either at their shop or on site?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    some companies may offer a trial, but with strict limitations. One company I used to deal with at an old school (subsequently lose the details) offered a trial of 1 month, but you could not add VLANs or make any modifications beyond the settings already there.

Thank Post
    we are a large campus with 2 large buildings, each with a GSM7328FS at their core. These are connected via 10gig modules & OM3 to a GSM7352S switch which has our servers connected to it, effectively giving us a 10gig backplane, then 1gig to each satellite switch in each building. It's never missed a beat. You may also be interested to know you can use any compatible tranceiver in your netgear switches, unlike HP who lock them down to their own. £45 cheap tranceivers? No problem!

19. 2 Thanks to Oops_my_bad:

camel (23rd May 2011), john (21st May 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast