+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear Prosafe layer 3 switches - cost effective or put my money elsewhere? in Technical; Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad we are a large campus with 2 large buildings, each with a GSM7328FS at their core. ...
  1. #16

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,507
    Thank Post
    1,492
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    we are a large campus with 2 large buildings, each with a GSM7328FS at their core. These are connected via 10gig modules & OM3 to a GSM7352S switch which has our servers connected to it, effectively giving us a 10gig backplane, then 1gig to each satellite switch in each building. It's never missed a beat. You may also be interested to know you can use any compatible tranceiver in your netgear switches, unlike HP who lock them down to their own. £45 cheap tranceivers? No problem!
    Nice to hear good success with that combination, we are looking at using those exact two switches for linking our buildings up and doing that so nice to hear you are having good success with them

  2. Thanks to john from:

    Oops_my_bad (22nd May 2011)

  3. #17
    Oops_my_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Man chest hair
    Posts
    1,738
    Thank Post
    438
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Nice to hear good success with that combination, we are looking at using those exact two switches for linking our buildings up and doing that so nice to hear you are having good success with them
    If my cabling all came back to the one location then I'd go for one of those new chassis you mentioned, would be ideal. Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed

    A further word to the OP, 3com have been bought out by HP completely, so whilst you can probably still get hold of later 3com kit it will more than likely be going EoL soon whilst HP finish asymilating 3com. At least with 3com they were still making access points for their managed controllers several years after they were released, so it's not suprising all our kit is now EoL following HP's buyout, with no easy migration option. HP's product lifecycle is rediculously short as well.

    So it looks like your choices are either HP or Netgear

  4. #18


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post

    A further word to the OP, 3com have been bought out by HP completely, so whilst you can probably still get hold of later 3com kit it will more than likely be going EoL soon whilst HP finish asymilating 3com. At least with 3com they were still making access points for their managed controllers several years after they were released, so it's not suprising all our kit is now EoL following HP's buyout, with no easy migration option. HP's product lifecycle is rediculously short as well.

    It's the other way around. HP bought 3com because their kit is good and their O/S is better, much of the 3com kit remains at the expense of procurves..

    discontinued Networking - HP Small & Medium Business products

    Discontinued product
    » HP E2600 Switch Series
    » HP E3400 cl Switch Series
    » HP ProCurve 1800 Switch series
    » HP ProCurve 2300 Switch series
    » HP ProCurve 2512/2524 Switch series
    » HP ProCurve 2700 Switch series
    » HP ProCurve 2900 Switch series
    » HP ProCurve 408 Switch
    » HP ProCurve 5300xl Switch series
    » HP ProCurve 6108 Switch
    » HP ProCurve 9300m Routing Switch series
    » HP ProCurve Edge 8100fl Fabric Switch series

  5. #19
    camel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    east midlands
    Posts
    109
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 38 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    we are a large campus with 2 large buildings, each with a GSM7328FS at their core. These are connected via 10gig modules & OM3 to a GSM7352S switch which has our servers connected to it, effectively giving us a 10gig backplane, then 1gig to each satellite switch in each building. It's never missed a beat. You may also be interested to know you can use any compatible tranceiver in your netgear switches, unlike HP who lock them down to their own. £45 cheap tranceivers? No problem!
    Yes, great to hear about your experiences too. @Oops_my_bad, what size school/establishment do work for? And, do you utilise any other switching hardware, alongside the Netgear core? Thanks, Rob

  6. #20

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,507
    Thank Post
    1,492
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    If my cabling all came back to the one location then I'd go for one of those new chassis you mentioned, would be ideal. Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed
    We will have 2 Campuses from Sept 2012 so were aiming for that copper switch on both sites linked with a 10g fibre to each other to be the cores for both sites, and on the main site which has all the Servers, SANs etc on it we will have the copper switch (may actually, from my initial calculations need two of them) and the fibre switch as we will have a large number of the cabinets on fibre by that point, and the closer ones on bonded copper so we will finally have all the cabinets being fed from the core rather than fed from each other which is something we have at present.

  7. #21
    Oops_my_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Man chest hair
    Posts
    1,738
    Thank Post
    438
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Yes, great to hear about your experiences too. @Oops_my_bad, what size school/establishment do work for? And, do you utilise any other switching hardware, alongside the Netgear core? Thanks, Rob
    L3 at the core, L2 at the edges. We have a mix of GS748TP's and GSM7224/7248's at the edge, these are all getting replaced with GS748TP's. Not that there are any issues with the GSM7224/48's, it's just we have a lot of PoE devices such as phones, CCTV and Wireless AP's that we've outgrown them. And we have tonnes of PoE bricks in those cabs :| About 1500 lusers here...

  8. #22
    Oops_my_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Man chest hair
    Posts
    1,738
    Thank Post
    438
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    We will have 2 Campuses from Sept 2012 so were aiming for that copper switch on both sites linked with a 10g fibre to each other to be the cores for both sites, and on the main site which has all the Servers, SANs etc on it we will have the copper switch (may actually, from my initial calculations need two of them) and the fibre switch as we will have a large number of the cabinets on fibre by that point, and the closer ones on bonded copper so we will finally have all the cabinets being fed from the core rather than fed from each other which is something we have at present.
    Sounds good Is your fibre on site or by Campus I'm guessing you've got to run it via BT or something? Check your distances - if it's 500m or less (might even be 300m) on OM3 you should be able to get away with short range tranceivers

  9. #23

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,507
    Thank Post
    1,492
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Sounds good Is your fibre on site or by Campus I'm guessing you've got to run it via BT or something? Check your distances - if it's 500m or less (might even be 300m) on OM3 you should be able to get away with short range tranceivers
    We own all the land both sides of the road and a conveniently located underpass so were getting the diggers in and going to fit it all It will be OM3 and support 10Gb no issues BT wanted heading for 30K a year for that speed, the campuses are literally across the road from each other its crazy!

  10. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    110
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    so it's not suprising all our kit is now EoL following HP's buyout, with no easy migration option. HP's product lifecycle is rediculously short as well.
    Hi, may I ask what product is now EoL?

    Talking about Netgear. Pricing is really nice. I do like their new 30 year warranty and I used it many time. I had some GS724T V1 with defective fans. The whole switch was replaced by a new one. This was GS724T version 3. The software was completely new, meaning the switch hardware was completely different. And here is the disadvantage of Netgear products. Netgear buys its switches from different hardware makers. You don´t know what you really get as Netgear seems not to build those devices on its own.
    Last edited by snoerre; 5th June 2011 at 06:55 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Netgear ProSafe Wireless Question
    By TechSupp in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th October 2010, 03:12 PM
  2. cost effective printers
    By kevbaz in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th November 2009, 02:07 PM
  3. Cost effective printer
    By laserblazer in forum Hardware
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12th May 2009, 08:21 PM
  4. NETGEAR's ProSafe AP on Aruba controller?
    By MicrodigitUK in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11th February 2009, 01:31 PM
  5. Netgear Prosafe support number?
    By contink in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th June 2008, 10:55 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •