+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Draytek 3300 and Multiple ADSL in Technical; Originally Posted by uk101man I'm currently working for a Company that provides ADSL and DSL and we had a request ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uk101man View Post
    I'm currently working for a Company that provides ADSL and DSL and we had a request for ADSL bonding but when I looked into it I found out that BT wholsale (The people who simply the DSL network) have stopped doing bonding and was advise it could be done with two adsl lines at the client site, the router will need to do load balancing......of course I may be wrong/mistaken as i've just knocked my head and have a trickle of blood running down the side of my head ;-)
    BT wholesale don't do the line bonding, never have done. They've also said for years they don't support MLPP adsl line bonding, but that doesn't stop ISP's from delivering it as it's done at the CPE and at the ISP so BT wholesale aren't involved.

Thank Post
    Currently using a 3300v with ADSL from two different ISPs. Both going through a vigor 100 first. No problem at all and works well as a load-balancer.

Ben

Thank Post
    We have been using a bonded solution for the past 18 months from EXA Networks. Currently we have 2x2mb lines but am looking at upgrading this to 4x2mb in september as we need more upload speed.
    Last edited by dave.81; 8th April 2008 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    BT have stopped supporting bonding using some older protocols, Managed Communications can offer a fully support and BT apporved bonded adsl solution.

Ben

Thank Post

Draytek 3300

I think that the simple answer to the original question is yes, the Draytek will load balance across multiple ADSL lines and that if you choose different suppliers that would be a better option. You can use the Draytek 100/110 as the PPPoE ADSL modem and the 3300 will treat each connection as just another connection. I have recently noticed that Griffin Internet do what they describe as a Engineering level ADSL connection that gives 2MB symmetric connections that might be useful if you have people dialing in or you send out a lot of data. Bonded connections are another option but if you are using multiple ADSL on one router you are achieveing the same thing and do not need to go the bonded route if you feel aprehensive about reliability although I cannot say I have found them to be necessarily less reliable.

If you need to NAT various services you can NAT using either IP aliases or WAN ports.

If you need a UTM device the 5510 is a good option but only has two WAN ports.

The draytek works well using x21, ADSL, SDSL and 100/1000 MB fibre and is a good no-nonsense device. The only pain is that the username for admin is set to dyatek and at time of writing the firmware does not allow a change.

SC

Thank Post
    The legacy way of bonding requires the telco to support MLPPP (multilink PPP) which BT stopped supporting. The only other option to truly bond (not load-balance) is to use "broadband bonding". Broadband bonding is a technology that does not require the telco equipment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12