+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Server Based Computing in Technical; What about server and infrastructure costs on top of that ... what is the rough break down of server for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Server Based Computing

What about server and infrastructure costs on top of that ... what is the rough break down of server for connections from 400+ clients, what are the network overheads (does it really need for all servers to be hooked up via gig connections), what is performance like over wireless?

What Proxy / filtering software works fine with Citrix / Terminal Services?

Just a few more questions?

Thank Post

@Grumbledook: You can easily get 30 clients onto a dual-processor box with 3GB RAM. Also bear in mind that you probably won't have all 400 clients connected at the same time.

All your heavy network traffic travels between servers so they are the only boxes that need gig connections (and they are generally all in the same place so a single gig switch will do). Your clients can use wireless and it's fine as long as they have a connection - like I said, it should work OK over dialup connections (that's what Citrix was origionally designed for after all) and you can even buy wireless thin client terminals if you so wish.

As for proxy and filtering software... since this runs on another server in between your network and the outside world, you can use whatever you like. In fact almost all software is OK and with isolation environments in Presentation Server 4, it is like running a single instance of an app anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

On your setup Ric [25 users per server - which I agree is about right] - 400 users equates to 16 servers. You update/ replace those how often? At least every 3 years I'd suggest. Plus the Citrix software - not cheap - I worked out with the upgrade advantage it was cheaper to buy again outright in 3 years - Then you've got the clients which cost the same as a PC [as you've said].

Seems like this to me:
    Y1 - twice the expenditure [servers + clients - brand new throughout]
    Y4 - same expenditure as vanilla system [just replacing the Citrix servers]

Bandwidth is not a problem on Citrix really - but then try the online demo on Citrix.com [where'd that go anyway?] and you'll find it a bit faster than treacle - explain that to me - and surely that should be the best showcase/ best hardware to user setup.

Agreed Geoff - buy new cases/ mobo's mice etc - but the idea is to do it cheap - those old AT cases are hard to come by now.

With DIDA isn't multimedia with video editing part of the course? People complain on my system if all machines aren't capable of multimedia - even serving CD's or multimedia rich apps is a no-no on a thin client system - you have to run all that on a fat client somehow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Agreed Geoff - buy new cases/ mobo's mice etc - but the idea is to do it cheap - those old AT cases are hard to come by now.
    You can fit an AT style mobo in an ATX case. The screw holes fit. The only issue is the back plate for the onboard peripherals. If you buy a new case it should come with both types. Cheapest ATX case I can find is £16.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@ Geoff: What about the power supply? - the mobo connectors are different - and the power switch is integrated. Cheap cases = problems - spend £40 and you're safe I recon.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm guessing you can't pull the power supply out the old cases and use them in the new?

You can get ATX -> AT conversion cables.

Thank Post

Well, I've bought some Citrix licenses, set everything up, set up the volume on my Winterms and then realised I'd bought a server with no soundcard - doh! ops:

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Well, I've bought some Citrix licenses, set everything up, set up the volume on my Winterms and then realised I'd bought a server with no soundcard - doh! ops:
    Doesn't matter with Citrix - sound just works. RDP still requires a sound card but there is a way around it IIRC.

Thank Post

Interesting... will look into that - cheers Ric_

Andy.

Thank Post

Got it! Been on that screen about 4 times already today - staring me in the face - duh! Need to find the ICA eqiuivalent of bringing local disk drives to session (for pen drives).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12