+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Back up solutions in Technical; Currently we back up our network daily with ARCserve Backup on to a HP Ultrium tape (200/400GB limit, which is ...
    Thank Post

Back up solutions

Currently we back up our network daily with ARCserve Backup on to a HP Ultrium tape (200/400GB limit, which is reaching capacity). We have a 2 week tape rotation so sometimes restoring a file can take time.

I want to possibly upgrade our backup by creating a DISK(building A) to DISK(building B) to TAPE(rotation + weekly sent off site) scenario. (Buildings A & B connected via Fibre)

Does anyone have recommendations on Hardware, Software for this solution? I haven't done much in the aspect of creating the backups as it was already installed when I got here, but wanting to make it more efficient.

Any help appreciated. Also price is a big factor.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations on Hardware, Software for this solution?
    Go and buy a couple of cases (Antec do 3u rackmount ones, if you want rackmount equipment) and build a couple of file servers. Building A (your live file server) could maybe have a hardware RAID card in for added performance. Building B (your backup server) should be larger than building A - at least 1.5 times the size, I should think. You can buy 5-disk caddies that will fit in 3 standard 5.25" expansion slots, so you could fit 10 SATA disks in one of those 3u Antec cases - maybe 10 2TB disks in one and 10 3TB disks in the other. Then just have your live file server rsync files accross to your backup server overnight (or however often you think is appropriate) and have a script on your backup server to de-duplicate files and arrange them in per-day folders. This gives you a backup server that can be used as a live file server should the main one be out of service, and it gives you a read-only file area (that you can mount as a Windows drive) that people can restore their own files from without having to come and ask you.

I know nothing about tape devices, I'd simply use removeable harddrives or backup to an offsite server, but I'm sure someone sells direct-attached tape drives you can connect to a SAS or SATA connection on your backup server.

The two servers, one with a RAID card, and 20 SATA disks should come to around £3,000 in total, giving you around 16TB of useable live storage and a few weeks' worth of backups (depending on how much data your users write every day, of course). That doesn't include the tape drive, though.
    Last edited by dhicks; 18th March 2011 at 01:38 PM.

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

JoeBloggs (18th March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread