+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Subnetting school network in Technical; Hi, I was just wondering how many schools have already subnet their network. I am facing the problem of running ...

Thank Post

Subnetting school network

Hi,

I was just wondering how many schools have already subnet their network.

I am facing the problem of running everything into one big networks ( 10.X.y.y/16 ) that by default has been given to the school. I would like to subnet the network so the servers, wireless, clients, guest wireless, etc runs on different networks and I can add security and performance into it. However I am not allowed to subnet the network as the LEA will not change their ip address in the router.

My idea was to subnet the network into different networks depending on the number of hosts needs, etc. The LEA answer is to use block allocations ( they understand it as subnetting !?!), but it will not solve the problem of having a big broadcast domain and I'll never be able to use dhcp relay agent to make life easier.

Should they change it if requested? Or I am missing something?

Many thanks,

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They should change their IP/subnet as you request - your network is your network, not theirs.

However, there is another possibility if they want to play silly buggers. That is to use a completely different IP address range, stick your own router in between theirs and yours, using an IP on one of your subnets, and one of their IPs on the other side, and then NAT things across. That way, they don't have to do anything, and you have complete freedom to do what you want with your network. Downside being its more complicated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is no reason not sub-net with in that range.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They should change their IP/subnet as you request - your network is your network, not theirs.

However, there is another possibility if they want to play silly buggers. That is to use a completely different IP address range, stick your own router in between theirs and yours, using an IP on one of your subnets, and one of their IPs on the other side, and then NAT things across. That way, they don't have to do anything, and you have complete freedom to do what you want with your network. Downside being its more complicated.
    I agree.

You could use something like Smoothwall Express to do this. Its free and easy to use.

Thank Post
    As localzuk has said. I've always stuck our own firewall between us and the LEA and used NAT, the LEA can take a jump if they expect me to make our network visible to them, bad security if you do in my opinion.
    Just make sure you're using ranges within your personal NAT range that aren't used by the LEA, so if they use 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 range then use either 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 or 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255. I tend to avoid the 192.168 range as a lot of devices use that as their default network, which can play havock when someone plugs some new random device in and you get an ip conflict.

Thank Post
    Thank you for your replies. I am please to know that I was not wrong and that there is people out there with a similar situation.

I was thinking of doing what you've just recommended to me ( do my own routing ). But I am concerned about the firewall and filtering rules that there is currently in place. Right now they do all the web filtering for us and they manage the firewall.

We have several servers that require external access. If they are currently associating an external ip to and internal ip how can I manage that myself? Will they need to change the policies to point to my firewall/NAT box?

It seems to me stupid that the school is paying for a service that is not getting...

Many thanks

Thank Post
    You can still use their proxy server for filtering etc, the router/firewall you put in yourself will have an option to use an upstream proxy. For external access to servers, then yes you will need to get them to change it so that they point to your firewall and that then points to your servers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    There is no reason not sub-net with in that range.
    If the LEA refuse to change the subnet mask on their router within the school things would break. Their router would see the subnets of the allocated range as one subnet - which would mess up routing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread