+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Adding a second range of IP's to network in Technical; Hello, We'd requested more IP's from SWGfL and have been allocated another block but it's not consecutive with our existing ...

Thank Post

Adding a second range of IP's to network

Hello,

We'd requested more IP's from SWGfL and have been allocated another block but it's not consecutive with our existing range. I have doubts in how to best set this up and was hoping for some advice.

Basically we currently have 10.4.x.0/22, 255.255.252.0 and now also have 10.4.y.0/22, 255.255.252.0. What would be the best way to set this up?

A) Treat as one big range and just set our DHCP server to only dish out the ranges we have?

B) Setup separately and route traffic?

C) ?

PS. Our router is SWGfL supplied Cisco jobby and they have remotely configured the new range on the same port as our existing range.

Thanks guys

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Run as separate VLANs ? Bit of work required though.

I'm currently sussing out how to VLAN ours up, not asking for another IP Scope from SWGfL though just going to use some private scopes.

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In EMBC-land we tend to have the routing done at the school's core switch rather than at the router, to allow for VLANs to be easily configured. The core switch gets given the old router address (LAN address) and the connection between core switch and router is done on a small linking range. Other RBCs will vary ...

Thank Post
    Funnily enough, we also requested another block of IPs from the SWGfL but I have yet to get the second block to talk properly to the first.

As it stands, I've got the second block set up as a scope in a DHCP Superscope, clients which end up with an address in the second block can access some of our Intranet pages and most other resources - however some users have reported their user experience as being rather slow if their PC ends up in the second range and have even had users report not being able to access certain web-based resources. Symantec Ghost seems only able to see clients in our original block and not the second as is sometimes the case with ThinStation.

If someone has got a good solution to this, i'd certainly love to hear it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shielder View Post
    Funnily enough, we also requested another block of IPs from the SWGfL but I have yet to get the second block to talk properly to the first.

As it stands, I've got the second block set up as a scope in a DHCP Superscope, clients which end up with an address in the second block can access some of our Intranet pages and most other resources - however some users have reported their user experience as being rather slow if their PC ends up in the second range and have even had users report not being able to access certain web-based resources. Symantec Ghost seems only able to see clients in our original block and not the second as is sometimes the case with ThinStation.
    How are you configuring the network to get the two subnets talking? Probably like you, I just want to get it working as a flat network to extend the number of IP's available nothing overly complicated.

If I setup a PC that bridged the two networks that would seem a bit of a bottleneck? must be a better way

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    In EMBC-land we tend to have the routing done at the school's core switch rather than at the router, to allow for VLANs to be easily configured. The core switch gets given the old router address (LAN address) and the connection between core switch and router is done on a small linking range. Other RBCs will vary ...
    What should I be looking for to configure our central switch to do this? We have a D-Link DXS-3350SR Layer 3 switch.

EDIT: Looking in the manual it looks like IP Multinetting, Static/Default Route Settings and IP Interface Settings may be what I need but want to fully understand it before touching anything.
    Last edited by Tricks; 9th March 2011 at 12:39 PM.

Thank Post
    How are you configuring the network to get the two subnets talking?
    I've just assumed that the SWGfL-supplied Cisco Router was set up enough to allow the two subnets to talk to each other. However, I'm starting to think that there's something else I need to do for it to work properly. I'm tempted to set up a PC with Untangled just to see whether its possible to keep it all as a flat network but unfortunately time has got the better of me and i'm still waiting for a nice quiet period when I can try this.

I've looked at VLANs but quite frankly they scare me.

Thank Post
    According to SWGfL their router is configured to allow traffic between new and old subnets. Sure I tested this yesterday but today does seem to work fine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread