Wireless Networks Thread, Old version of school website appears from internally in Technical; My school have got a new website which has been live for a couple of weeks. Same domain name, and ...
2nd March 2011, 10:04 AM #1
Old version of school website appears from internally
My school have got a new website which has been live for a couple of weeks. Same domain name, and all works fine - except from inside school.
As far as I know it is with the same hosting company, and the URL resolves to the same IP address both internally and externally, and I have also tried using an alternative DNS server, but to no avail.
A traceroute shows that both from outside and inside, the same server is reached
I then thought it might be the proxy appliance caching the old version, but if I try to enter a direct link that didnt previously exist (and thus wouldnt be in the cache) eg www.schoolname.org/about.htm it cannot find it.
Also, from externally I can do a directory listing, eg schoolname.org/images/ whereas internally access is denied, so it is as if it is going to a totally different server
We already have our support company looking at it, which they have been for a few weeks, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could be causing it, as it has me stumped!
IDG Tech News
2nd March 2011, 10:11 AM #2
Where is the server hosted? Have you tried internally to go direct to the IP/folder/ in your browser?
tracert the fqdn domain, where does it stop?
2nd March 2011, 10:12 AM #3
- Rep Power
if you have changed your hosting recently but kept your domain then the PTR record is out of date. Someone somewhere hasnt updated their dns. It could be your ISP or if you have another conflicting record on your PDC
2nd March 2011, 11:43 AM #4
I think it's DNS internally - because I've just found it works from our other site across the road (DNS servers at each site, one internet connection, link between each site)
Digging around the setup is extremely strange...I'll try and write it down later if I can do it in a non confusing way. But basically it seems like the proxy appliances are also acting as DNS servers...or are forwarding requests to elsewhere, and querying both, they each come back with a different IP address (correct for the site I can access it from, incorrect from the one I cant...unsurprisingly)#
And also, on the DNS server at the non-working site, the servers DNS settings are pointing to Google DNS for the primary and itself for the secondary...I thought it was only supposed to point to itself! (although I have tried swapping the order around and it still doesnt work)
Unfortunately since they're currently being managed by the support company, I dont have admin passwords to get into the web interfaces of these things yet, to see exactly what they're doing
Last edited by sidewinder; 2nd March 2011 at 11:45 AM.
2nd March 2011, 11:48 AM #5
- Rep Power
just point all your dns to your PDC and add an entry that is correct in the dns. Bodge but it will work. Then tell the PDC to forward requests to the proxy server if it cant resolve a lookup
By school in forum Web Development
Last Post: 15th June 2010, 10:38 PM
By arthur231283 in forum Web Development
Last Post: 13th November 2009, 02:02 PM
By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
Last Post: 5th September 2009, 07:25 PM
By AJKOK1 in forum Network and Classroom Management
Last Post: 29th October 2007, 10:30 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)