+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, WFS709TP Access Points refusing connection in Technical; Hi All, We currently have 2 Netgear WFS709TPs running in a Master-local configuration and around 11 Access points. Recently we ...
    Thank Post

WFS709TP Access Points refusing connection

Hi All,

We currently have 2 Netgear WFS709TPs running in a Master-local configuration and around 11 Access points. Recently we have been having problems with users connecting to certain APs. The SSIDs are displayed but the clients cannot connect (any client, from iphone/ipad/mobile device to Windows XP SP3 laptops and netbooks) However if the AP was power cycled, then the AP would start accepting clients again. I have checked the controller and it appears to still think the AP is available and restarting the AP from the controller doesn't fix the issue.

Nothing has been changed on the network recently that would affect this as far as we can tell.
    The current setup also involves the APs (all WAGL102s) being connected around the network apart from 1 that is connected to one of the ports on the controller. All switches are HP Procurve.

Any ideas please, im scratching my head on this

Thank Post
    Had exactly the same problem with 2 WFS709TP's and around 25 access points.

I found using WPA PSK/TKIP instead of WPA2 helped but involves reconfiguring all the client PC's to use the new wireless settings.

Also, goto RF Management > Optimization > Load Balancing
    You'll see the Maximum User Count Low and High Watermark has a high value. I changed mine to 8 for low and 30 for high. Dont seem to get many issues now.

Almost forgot, i had no issues with my Windows 7 machines, it only effected my XP clients.

3. Thanks to accura2000 from:

ninjapirate (2nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, i've adjusted the Load Balancing and will see how it goes. We are not using WPA2 for any of the SSIDs but will bear this in mind for the future.

Slightly related question, Is there somewhere in the software to show the client count for each AP? (i've looked under Network > All Access Points but it displays all client columns as 0!)

Thank Post
    The best i have found is under reports, theres one for Top congested AP's. My access points also rarely show clients connected in the list, i do sometimes get 1 or 2 showing but it is very rare.

Thank Post
    I know this is an old post but did you ever solve the disconnection issue. I am having problems with a WFS709TP with WAGL102s attached. Solid as a rock with laptops but will not keep a connection for ipads. If I power cycle the APs they will connect for a short while and the drop and refuse to reconnect. Many thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread