+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, How Many cable Drops????? in Technical; Hello I know this may be a bit of a daft question..... As part of my college project we have ...

Thank Post

How Many cable Drops?????

Hello I know this may be a bit of a daft question.....

As part of my college project we have to design a network for a college and the network in question is to include 1 workstation in each 'normal' teaching room.

I was wondering how many Ethernet drops real classrooms have and how many you would include for expansion e.t.c

Thanks for any comments....

Thank Post
    Well each vanilla classroom we have is given a minimum of 8 network points. 4 at the front of the room with the IWB, 2 in one of the rear corners (or alternative suitable position for 1/2 PCs or a printer) and 2 in the ceiling near to the projector. This provides us with points for IP Phones, laptops, wireless points, network connected projectors, network printers, the IWB PC and any other devices we may decide should be network connected (door access control being the next big one for us!)

Thank Post
    We tend to say install at least a double per PC but if its a classroom personally I would say 2 doubles as it will allow for expansion.

Thank Post
    In our new build we have specced a minimum of 6 for each teaching space that does not have fixed computers; one for the teachers PC, one for a phone, and and 2 spare coming down the wall. The other two are in the ceiling void and these end up being used for various things as time goes on - projectors, wireless points stuff like that. Of course if we know there will be a requirement for some fixed curriculum PC's we add those in as well with a couple spare for luck, but the rooms are so small in our new building there is little space for desktops in many of the classrooms - hence the future proofing for wireless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You trying to get extra credit?

If the brief specs 1 per classroom then why go to greater legnths?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If the brief specs 1 per classroom then why go to greater legnths?
    To allow for future expansion? It makes much more sense (from a financial and 'minimal disruption' point of view) to put a reasonable amount of spares in while the job's getting done, to save the extra expense and hassle when X months down the line you need another line in there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    It's a college project i.e paper exercise.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    We tend to say install at least a double per PC but if its a classroom personally I would say 2 doubles as it will allow for expansion.

I echo this. Paper project or not it makes sense.

Thank Post
    Na you're all wrong. You put a WAP in the middle of the building and thats it. Wasting tax payers money the lot of ya!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In my new classrooms I have:

1 at door height for wireless
    1 in the ceiling for a projector
    2 each side of the interactive whiteboard
    4 along two sides of the classroom

That is 14 in each room. All are accompanied by a double socket.

As we are a special school our classrooms need a lot of flexibility, so far it has worked really well. Generally there are only 3 desktops in each room.

I don't have the switch capacity to cope with all of these, but only 6 are active in each room. It allows staff to arrange the room to suit the needs of the students.
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 28th February 2011 at 11:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Na you're all wrong. You put a WAP in the middle of the building and thats it. Wasting tax payers money the lot of ya!
    Wrong still, all the pupils and staff will be running everything on their phones. No infrastructure needed! I mean what could go wrong, Gmail works fine on my Samsung Omnia on Vodafone...

I would also go for 2 double sockets per classroom, one at the front with the projector connections and one near the back.

Thank Post
    Our new build specs are 7 per classroom split as 3 high level - 1 for projector and 2 more for possible wireless AP's (to give flexibility on locations for them, not all will be used) then 4 low level - 2 either side of the IWB. 1 will be in use for a fixed teachers PC leaving 3 for other possible equipment. Larger spaces such as science labs have more put in sensible locations around the room - usually 4 or 6 more. To go with every low level network point there's a double power socket - normal configuration is a double network point with a double power socket either side.

Fixed ICT areas are mapped out with the standard 7, plus 1 per PC and 6 additional spares in sensible places for printers and other equipment. Offices have 4 points per workstation - this might seem overkill but there's all sorts of office devices that could require a connection and you never quite know where it will all be.

Thank Post
    New build? 4 drops at teacher's desk (thin client, laptop, $random, $random). 4 drops in diagonally opposite corner. Sufficient ceiling-based points to give decent wireless coverage - where depends on wall & insulation type and neighbouring rooms.

Refit of existing build? Depends what the walls are made of (possibly adamantium in some of the older parts of the school) and how documented the service runs are.

Thank Post
    I've always gone for 2 per classroom but would probably flood wire if we had a new classroom block built. If the specification says 1 pc per classroom I'd allow for 50% expansion(I've always been tought to include 50% as standard) and maybe recommend that due to the changing requirements of schools and colleges that more than 100% expansion could occur in the next 10 years so additional points could be required

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    I've always gone for 2 per classroom but would probably flood wire if we had a new classroom block built. If the specification says 1 pc per classroom I'd allow for 50% expansion(I've always been tought to include 50% as standard) and maybe recommend that due to the changing requirements of schools and colleges that more than 100% expansion could occur in the next 10 years so additional points could be required
    I'd love to flood wire our new building, but the reality is under the funding agreement in place we only get to have a certain number of network points in the building (1.6 per student) so we have to be careful where we locate them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast