+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, How much storage space do you give your users? in Technical; 50Mb sounds pretty small -as you say, there are apps that can dump nearly that much stuff without you doing ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    50Mb sounds pretty small -as you say, there are apps that can dump nearly that much stuff without you doing anything remotely "wrong"

It's relatively cheap to buy more disc space but it gets more expensive when you factor in backups (and think through "how fast could I restore this when it all goes horribly wrong) and "cheap" is always an unhelpful term when you've got no money at all!

Those who were at Microsoft yesterday saw the presentation about Office 365 (Microsoft Office 365 - Online Services & Hosted Software in the Cloud) - this isn't actually available yet but it may be something schools could look at. I've no idea about what sort of SLA you get with the free service but it does give 25Gb of space which might be suitable for some things (but then you get issues of how you get 25Gb of data per user to and from the cloud!)

Not expecting any sympathy, but it all gets much harder with university students - we have individuals here who have >4Tb of data each and storage for that is just a little bit challenging :-)

b_m

Thank Post
    Hi,

Thanks for all posts so far. As many people have commented, space per se isn't the issue,. but backups can be more tricky.
    We're currently running 2 servers on our curriculum domain, students spread across the 2 servers (Year 7, 9, 11 on one, 8 and 10 on the other).

Both servers have a single LTO tape drive for backup. I believe that this is where the issue lies.

Should we be looking at a different backup solution- and if so, what would people suggest?

Thanks,

b_m

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by b_m View Post
    Should we be looking at a different backup solution- and if so, what would people suggest?
    Get / build a server with a larger storage capacity than the server(s) you want to back up - say mayb 1.5 - 3 times larger. Then have rsync copy the files from your two live file servers nightly (or maybe hourly, depending on how you want to work) to your new backup server. Have a script run on the backup server to de-duplicate those files and make versioned backups, so one folder for yesterday, last week, last month, etc. This way, you can have a file share available for users to simply copy previous versions of their files off - you can even mount it as another Windows drive letter, there's no need for them to have to come to you to restore any backed-up files.

If you want to be able to take files off-site or have them placed in a fire safe, add some removeable harddrive caddies or eSATA drives to your backup server and have the backups duplicated on there.

Thank Post
    We start everyone off with 500Mb but up it for students on request (mainly media or tech courses). They also have space on our share point VLE which is pretty well unlimited.

Staff have whatever they need. I think 20Gb is about the biggest so far (not including departmental shared areas). Again they all have space on the VLE to.

Thank Post
    We currently run unlimited quotas for both staff and students and they don't get abused. We are moving across to a SAN solution over the next few months and will probably implement quota's but will remain quite high.

Probably 1GB per student and 5gb per member of staff. Those students studying media, art, graphics and ICT in our sixth form are close to around 5gb and will have their accounts increased accordingly.

b_m

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We currently run unlimited quotas for both staff and students and they don't get abused. We are moving across to a SAN solution over the next few months and will probably implement quota's but will remain quite high.

Probably 1GB per student and 5gb per member of staff. Those students studying media, art, graphics and ICT in our sixth form are close to around 5gb and will have their accounts increased accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    We start everyone off with 500Mb but up it for students on request (mainly media or tech courses). They also have space on our share point VLE which is pretty well unlimited.

Staff have whatever they need. I think 20Gb is about the biggest so far (not including departmental shared areas). Again they all have space on the VLE to.
    Hi,

You clearly have far advanced infrastructures compared to us! Could you give details of your backup solutions? Thanks so much for your time!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't enforce any quotas but the average student has about 60mb in there. I regularly clean out mp3, zips or video files though.

Staff range from 100mb to 5gb but I send polite emails every so often to big users.

Total backup for the school is around 280gb which is very reasonable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Staff get 1GB by default and rarely go over it. So far I've not had to raise anyone's quota; the few who've had emails from the storage server telling them they are maxed out soon found something to get rid of. I also encourage staff to store things on the shared drives instead, which are not quota'd. In general this isn't abused as staff are remarklably reluctant to expose the unnecessary junk they store to their colleagues.

Pupils get 100MB. Astonishingly, no student has ever filled their 100MB in the time I've been here. We only go up to Year 8 though. Also, AppData doesn't count towards their limit.

Backup for the entire server infrastructure (including full OS backups) is on a 3TB iSCSI NAS. It's about half full at the moment. The user data backups on their own (all staff, pupils, and shared areas) use just under 700GB.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 26th February 2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Add backup data figures

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12