+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Looking for wireless review in Technical; Hi Guys, I'm currently investigating managed wireless solutions (for a couple of Primaries that we support). Very seriously considering advocating ...

Thank Post

Looking for wireless review

Hi Guys,

I'm currently investigating managed wireless solutions (for a couple of Primaries that we support). Very seriously considering advocating Ruckus, but i'm looking for an article that I've seen online somewhere that I think explains their how their technology works (it may well be another company but i'd like to find it all the same.)

I though the article was either on the reg or linked here, but I can't see it by having a browse. It was talking about how their technology works and why it is so particularly apropriate to a metro wireless type deployment. Also, there were some photos in the article of the PCBs that have been in use for various revisions of the APs, I think they had lined a table top with them.

If anyone can locate the article for me I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    Hi Matt,

I saw this Blog article: newtstuff.blogspot.com/2010/12/ruckus-smart-antennas-may-be-key-to.html It is pretty good and i think it may even be the article you are talking about.

I am a big fan of Ruckus kit, and have deployed several solutions to Primary / Secondary schools my self, I have seen very good performance from the ruckus AP's and the setup and configuration of the controller is very simple!

You will find Ruckus cheaper and it will out perform other solutions that are within any primary schools budget!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My research attached to the post...

Its a bit out of date (by 2 years) but a good starting point. I wrote it up then but technologies have changed a bit so use it as a base point, not as an exact review for the technology of now.

Having seen some kits (Meru at a school near me, Ruckus at my place, HP at another school near me, various others), I would go for either Ruckus or Meru now, depending on requirements.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    I get a 'Page not found' error.....

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/attach...-research.docx

Its a bit out of date (by 2 years) but a good starting point. I wrote it up then but technologies have changed a bit so use it as a base point, not as an exact review for the technology of now.

Having seen some kits (Meru at a school near me, Ruckus at my place, HP at another school near me, various others), I would go for either Ruckus or Meru now, depending on requirements.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    edited the post

Thank Post
    4thLine you are a genius! The article I was after was the original at Wired.com which i found through that linked blog post. Thank you again.

nephilim thanks for the document it is very informative, just a few questions. Did you have the 196 laptops in your ruckus test streaming Iplayer connected to 1 AP? How big is your site to get coverage by 10 APs.

Thanks again guys.

Matt

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yes...it streamed but buffered alot because so many devices were taking it...as for how big our site is, total coverage with 10 APs is just under 3 acres excluding field.

Thank Post
    There isn't a wifi system available to the general public yet that can cope with 30 laptops all streaming YouTube or iPlayer without utilising MIMo, Pico Cell or Dual Band technology and even those that make claims to do so, cost a fortune and all fall far short of what many on this forum expect from a wireless solution.
    No single solution that I have worked with caters for all the various requirements demanded from them and different schools have different needs of their wireless solution.
    Just because one vendors solution appears to work well in one school does not automatically qualify it as the best solution for everyone.

Here is how some schools cope....
    http://sitelife.flukenetworks.com/ve...d3f22.Full.jpg

In the meantime we just have to make the most of what we have available to us and view every vendors offering with an open mind (and wallet).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread