+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, APC PowerChute - Shutdown on High Temp (Script?) in Technical; Hi all, We currently have 8 servers connected to 3 x UPS`s. Each UPS has a management card. Our air-con ...

Thank Post

APC PowerChute - Shutdown on High Temp (Script?)

Hi all,

We currently have 8 servers connected to 3 x UPS`s. Each UPS has a management card.

Our air-con unit has failed (again). This time I was given money to install a system that would shutdown all the servers if the temp ever got high enough again....

So.. I replaced one of the older management cards with a new AP9631 that also has the environmental monitoring and comes with a temp probe.

I have spoken to APC and they are telling me that as I have 3 APCs all connected to different servers, that I would have to buy another 2 x AP9631 cards for the other 2 APCs.
    Does anyone know a way that instead of spending MORE MONEY, I could use the "Run Command" option in Powerchute to tell the other servers on the other APCs to start shutting down?

APC have said I cant do this but, couldnt I just setup all the powerchute agents on all servers to talk to the one ups with the management card?

Please help!

Thank Post
    Just install PowerChute network shutdown on the servers. Then point it at the relevant ups environmental card, set an action for overtemp, turn off "shutdown ups" option to stop it taking them all out at once.

If you think it's likely that power/temp will go at the same time and are happy with a single (or two for example) shutting everything down then you can just use one card with multiple clients.

I have the core switch (because powerchute network uses snmp to send the status) on it's own ups so it will have a good uptime while everything else shuts down.

Even stuff not connected to the ups is useful to shutdown with high temperatures.

3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

burgemaster (10th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I posted elsewhere today, oddly enough, those servers of mine that are plugged into the UPSes via USB have a cmd file on with the following line in
    Code:
    START "" shutdown -s -f -m \\SERVER -t 3
    One line for each server named. It's triggered at (e.g.) 7 minutes battery life remaining, then at 5 min, the server hosting that file shuts itself down. Presumably you can stagger it in a similar way, if not, modify the command file so that after a relevant pause it sends a shutdown to itself.

HTH

5. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

burgemaster (10th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Just install PowerChute network shutdown on the servers. Then point it at the relevant ups environmental card, set an action for overtemp, turn off "shutdown ups" option to stop it taking them all out at once.

If you think it's likely that power/temp will go at the same time and are happy with a single (or two for example) shutting everything down then you can just use one card with multiple clients.
    I have the core switch (because powerchute network uses snmp to send the status) on it's own ups so it will have a good uptime while everything else shuts down.
    Even stuff not connected to the ups is useful to shutdown with high temperatures.
    Thanks for the reply, Are you saying that I should setup Powerchute on all 8 servers to be pointing at the APC with the new network man card in it? Even though some will be connected to the other 2 UPS`s ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Are you saying that I should setup Powerchute on all 8 servers to be pointing at the APC with the new network man card in it? Even though some will be connected to the other 2 UPS`s ?
    Not sure how it works with cards, but the 3 UPSes we have are each plugged in to a server via USB. For example, UPS #2 powers fileserver0, fileserver2 and genericserver1. It's connected to genericserver1 via USB, and that server has the software on it. After power out, and when a certain level of battery is left, a command file is launched that powers down the two fileservers, and a couple of minutes later, genericserver1 is shut down by the software itself. a similar situation exists on domaincontroller0, that shares a UPS with email0, etc.

Once you've got one set up and tweaked how you like, going through the same steps for the other UPSes is fairly minimal work, so I don't mind replicating it.

As I say, no idea how it works with the management cards, but as you're basing it on temperature then it would seem safe to assume that if one overheats, then all of them are in the same boat. Sending a shutdown command through a cmd file like that isn't anything special, it's a built in Windows thing afaik, so if one server is communicating with the management card then I don't see why it couldn't fire off a shutdown command to all the other servers.

My two pence anyway, for what it's worth, even though the situations aren't identical.

Thank Post
    Thankyou.
    Only the one management card has the temperature sensing, so it will only shutdown the servers connected to that server. I think there is an option to ALSO send a command.
    That command I guess will have to shutdown all the other servers. From further reading i think that I will need to use psshutdown..

psshutdown -k -m "Servers will soon power down, save NOW" @servers_not_on_UPS1.txt

Just the question whether as well as the PowerChute softare doing the gracefull shutdown, can it ALSO send the command or is it just one or the other...?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thankyou.
    Only the one management card has the temperature sensing, so it will only shutdown the servers connected to that server. I think there is an option to ALSO send a command.
    That command I guess will have to shutdown all the other servers. From further reading i think that I will need to use psshutdown..

psshutdown -k -m "Servers will soon power down, save NOW" @servers_not_on_UPS1.txt

Just the question whether as well as the PowerChute softare doing the gracefull shutdown, can it ALSO send the command or is it just one or the other...?
    Our PowerChute software runs the command and then does the shut down, so I would assume yours can too. If not, shouldn't be too hard to write a delay into a command file followed by a shutdown command for localhost, I'd have thought.

Thank Post
    You *could* setup like that. It's just an option to reduce the number of monitoring cards required in one physical location

You may want to avoid using things like trying to optimise the runtime in the event of a power failure (due to the servers not actually being attached to that ups). I have mine set to shutdown servers if the power has been off for two minutes.

PowerChute network shutdown is not the same as PowerChute business edition, as it has no options for locally attached ups, it is available for windows, linux and os x for free and hyper-v and esx/esxi if bought.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 10th February 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Thank Post
    What's the best way to test that a UPS is doing what it is meant to do when the power fails? Is there any harm in connecting a machine to it, pulling the plug on the UPS, and seeing if it switches to battery power and does its thing?

I know about self test etc and that's all fine but I want to test that it's doing what it should do on failure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What's the best way to test that a UPS is doing what it is meant to do when the power fails? Is there any harm in connecting a machine to it, pulling the plug on the UPS, and seeing if it switches to battery power and does its thing?

I know about self test etc and that's all fine but I want to test that it's doing what it should do on failure.
    Don't see why not - if you know it should do a graceful shut down 3 minutes after the power dies, the two options are either a) server shuts down gracefully, sun shines, all is right in world b) 4 minutes after the plug was pulled, nothing has happened so you plug it back in and work some more on it, server still up, sun still shining, world still right etc.

I've also got everything set up to email immediately on power outage - easy one to check that, assuming your UPS has more than ten seconds battery life

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread