+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Wireless Networks Thread, Networking between two buildings - issues! in Technical; Originally Posted by 3s-gtech Nooooo - forget wireless! Really? The 5GhZ nanostation (as plexer linked to) are the business if ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Nooooo - forget wireless!
    Really? The 5GhZ nanostation (as plexer linked to) are the business if you have a line of sight

Thank Post
    It has its place (^^how much do they cost?) - but personally I'll always go wired if possible. I'm old fashioned I guess. We have very limited wireless here, just for the one laptop bank.

Thank Post
    The site linked to above has a whole kit for £250 inc VAT, which has two wireless units, mounting kits, cables, POE injectors, etc. We've already got 18(!) WAPs around the school, as the main site is a stone building so tends to eat wireless signal. All the staff have laptops so need to be able to connect anywhere.

Thank Post
    Just out of interest.. Sprogette's primary has and very NOT good wireless link between two buildings and the Head once briefly hummed and hawed to me about the cost of a trench with fibre, without saying what that would be. So very roughly, ignoring the kit at each end, how much has it cost anyone for say a 50 - 100m run?

Thank Post
    Have a look at CABLEMONKEY.co.uk , they offer preterminated stuff so if you have a shovel, lots of switches already have SFP ports and you can get the adapter from Ebay for a bout 30 - 50 . I am looking at a newbuild rewire with a fibre backbone and in OM3 have had quotes for 9K for about 18 pieces(500/wire) terminated and tested.OM1 is much cheaper but is only GbE (>200/wire) but as this stuff will be in the walls for 25years I'm hoping my successor will be thanking me for my foresight as opposed to cursing my predecessor who thought building 10 GB switches into walls was OK and that network maps were overkill

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    It has its place (^^how much do they cost?) - but personally I'll always go wired if possible. I'm old fashioned I guess. We have very limited wireless here, just for the one laptop bank.
    They're £209 for a pair - much cheaper than fibre and easier to install. It's not the same as a regular wireless AP - these are 5GHz point to point, they don't suffer so much from interference and won't drown a regular 2.4Ghz wireless. We get a constant 150Mbs over a relatively short distance. They are ace if you need a cheap connection to a remote building, obviously you wouldn't run them as a part of a backbone...
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 11th February 2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: n't

Thank Post
    I would forget the wired option and use fibre or WiFi instead. We have a wireless bridge connecting our main site to a small office across the road (12 PCs, 10 VoIP phones, switch, printer and a 802.11g wireless access point for wireless laptops).

The wireless link has been in since Summer 2008 and had only gone down twice; once when a thief snuck into the main building and stole a printer (unplugging the wifi bridge in the process) and again following a powercut where one of the bridges didn't come up properly.

As long as the wireless link is 5Ghz, rather than 2.4Ghz you should not have many problems with wireless. We even have VoIP over the same link without any problems. The link consists of 2x ProSafe Netgear WNDAP330 802.11g/n setup in bridging mode (with encryption).

However, I am very interested in the wireless bridging kit referred to earlier, and the potential speed benefits.

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    However, I am very interested in the wireless bridging kit referred to earlier, and the potential speed benefits.

Bruce.
    Bruce,
    PM me, I get 100Mbps FD (200Mbps) between house and office more than happy to give you a Teamviewer demo on my own system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Have you tried UDP multicast video on your wireless bridge? We currently have a wireless bridge to our Nursery and while we have plenty of bandwidth the video performance is so bad it's practically unwatchable a lot of the time.

Thank Post
    You've definitely not got a network loop or some other broadcast storm? Have you got access to your packet counts on ports at either side of the link?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Have you tried UDP multicast video on your wireless bridge? We currently have a wireless bridge to our Nursery and while we have plenty of bandwidth the video performance is so bad it's practically unwatchable a lot of the time.
    Never tested it for that but have been running iscsi across it recently have a 2008R2 server with an iscsi LUN mapped across it and been sending backups across it without a problem.
    I do have an Axis camera with audio and that seems to work fine whilst the backups are running too!

I will set up a proper ITO with a packet reflector and measure with the etherscope and post the results...

Thank Post
    Sorry I've not replied to this post, the Ubiquiti gear has been in for a couple of weeks and is working great - thanks for the advice!

13. Thanks to smurfomatic from:

plexer (21st March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123