+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Networking between two buildings - issues! in Technical; I wasn't suggesting you marched in there and told them to pack their bags but that piece of information wasn't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    I wasn't suggesting you marched in there and told them to pack their bags but that piece of information wasn't available at the time it was more of is there a non-technical solution to the problem

Ben

Thank Post
    10mb - 100mb, they still use the same 4 wires so if it works at 10mb there is no reason why it shouldnt work at 100mb.

If you have a "10mb Hub" at the far end and a node and a printer there is still plenty of scope for anything to bring all of your hub ports down thus causing the packet loss across your link.
    All broadcast traffic is going to want to transit your link anyway!

Also, if you have an Autonegotiating Switch at one end and a 10Mb dumb hub at the other the switch is likely to complain bitterly about whats going on at the far end.
    I would definately be looking to terminate each end with matching equipment or at least something that can autonegotiate correctly!

As for replacing it with Wifi - use a 5Ghz Ubiqiti Nano M Link, they are unbeatable with true wire speed 200Mhz Full Duplex with enough change out of £750 to have a weekend break in Barcelona....

Thank Post
    We went down this route a couple of years ago and decided it was easer with less hassle to get them broadband internet access and then use logmein to connect to a dedicated computer terminal in the main building.

Thank Post
    @m25man - the laptop negotiates down to 10MB as well, the Belkin hub I used was 100MB (the only reason I used the 10MB hub was it's the first one that came to hand). The printer isn't connected tot he hub at the moment, when I'm testing it's just cable in - hub - cable out to laptop. This is one of the reasons I'm confused...it should work at 100 if it works at 10!

@pennywest - unfortunately the phone line goes through our switchboard, so the only way to give them broadband would be to pay for a dedicated line.

Thank Post
    Presumably you have checked that the cables are ok with a cheapie cable tester - that done perhaps next step is to isolate the cable say by connecting a little switch at one end and a laptop at the other and doing some speed tests. At least you would know if the problem IS your cable and not some other network gremlin - sorry if that is too obvious but sometimes you can waste a lot of time on the wrong hypothesis. If it is both of the cables then I would say some environmetal issue is at play somewhere.
    I spent 3 hours checking powerline connectors that we were using to connect 4 temp classrooms rooms that all looked to be working but didn't actually ping and finally discovered that some helpful person had connected both ends of an ethernet cable into a switch but only got there by testing each component

Thank Post
    I've gone back to basics and checked the cable - it's intact and traffic goes OK. Must be some kind of interference, but I'm blowed if I can find where it's coming from!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfomatic View Post
    I've gone back to basics and checked the cable - it's intact and traffic goes OK. Must be some kind of interference, but I'm blowed if I can find where it's coming from!
    Have you tried STP cable instead of UTP?

Thank Post
    Haven't got any STP cable to try, as I've said earlier didn't want to spend a few hundred quid on another drum of cable only to find it's still causing problems. Plus of course our maintenance men will get fed up with re-doing the same job...

I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and put a wireless link in - time to ask the boss how much we have left in the budget, that's not going to be popular if it means other people aren't getting the new PCs they've been asking for...

Thank Post
    Nooooo - forget wireless! Fibre it, it's not that expensive. I haven't spent more than £35 on a mini GBIC in years and I only buy official HP ones - you can save a fortune on them, and it'll be a job done properly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Nooooo - forget wireless! Fibre it, it's not that expensive. I haven't spent more than £35 on a mini GBIC in years and I only buy official HP ones - you can save a fortune on them, and it'll be a job done properly.
    Huh? How????

Thank Post
    Ebay

Once got one for £0.99, with free postage, I was the only bidder!

Every one has worked fine too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts

Thank Post
    Cable isn't too expensive and lots of cheap SFP on ebay 62.5/125 Pre-Terminated Fibre Optic Cables

Thank Post
    I'd invest in STP. After all, it's called shielded twisted pair for a reason...just in case I need to, that means it's shielded against EM interference.

BTW, just joking about the telling you what it does. I'm in a bit of a jokie mood today. Lol.

Thank Post
    I will have to buy a new drum of cable soon anyway, so the next one will be STP. I just don't like the idea of running ANOTHER cat5 cable only to find that one's a problem as well!

Think we may be better going for the wireless link as demonstrated by plexer, as I have this nightmare that we run fibre then the big oak tree next to the telgraph pole collapses onto the line...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast