+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Network cabinet cabling layout in Technical; When I am in tomorrow I will get some pictures off the data share of cabs we have done, before ...

Thank Post
    When I am in tomorrow I will get some pictures off the data share of cabs we have done, before and after in the way I explained and you will see how much easier it is. Use shorter cables it makes life easier and if a switch needs swapping out we can do it in 5 minutes no faffing around untangling cables any more.

Somone of our cabs become untidy due to the way some of our phone systems work i.e. cross patch to another panel so end up with loads of extra yellow cables that we would not have with a VOIP system!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    When I am in tomorrow I will get some pictures off the data share of cabs we have done, before and after in the way I explained and you will see how much easier it is. Use shorter cables it makes life easier and if a switch needs swapping out we can do it in 5 minutes no faffing around untangling cables any more.

Somone of our cabs become untidy due to the way some of our phone systems work i.e. cross patch to another panel so end up with loads of extra yellow cables that we would not have with a VOIP system!
    You shouldn't have to untangle cables if the cable management is done properly - you just unplug the 48 cables from the switch and the management holds them tidy while the switch is swapped. Similarly, the phone patch leads shouldn't be going across things - only ever go horizontally and vertically. In our cabs the phone patch always goes at the bottom and the (green) cables will them go from the patch panels feeding the sockets across and down to the phone patch panel.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    attached localzuk is my cab (well once I got the KVM, smoothwall and blanking panels which should be the next budget)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Our phone ones go in management rails to the ports then down the side ones into another cab, its a mess and I hate long cables in all our cabs. With some of the cabs due to the mess up by certain members of the team who used to be in charge when ordering new cabs for a few new sites they did it all wrong and messed up so we have had to make do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just my 2p worth, here we never have patch leads running accosss the cab, they all go from the patch panel (50/50 left and right) then down the sides of the cab and back inwards along cable management until there above the port in the switch that they should be. The cables down the side are all velcro-ed into place the keep things tidy.

Thank Post
    When I first started here, for whatever reason, in teh 2 cabs in our office, the switches were in one and the patch panels were in the adjacent one. I was a right mess with spaghetti all over the place.. I was able to swap some of each and reorganise it ...

Before

cab-before.jpg

After

cab-after.jpg

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    When I first started here, for whatever reason, in teh 2 cabs in our office, the switches were in one and the patch panels were in the adjacent one. I was a right mess with spaghetti all over the place.. I was able to swap some of each and reorganise it ...

Before

cab-before.jpg

After

cab-after.jpg
    That's beautiful! I need to do something similar but don't have rear access to the cabs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    id try and have 24 patch, 48 switch, 24 patch, 24 patch, 48 port switch thben you can use short cables (assuming most go from patch to nearest switch as most 48 porters have +2 or +4 ports on them
    I'm a fan of this layout too - it makes for tidy & easy to manage racks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I'm a fan of this layout too - it makes for tidy & easy to manage racks.
    As I said - not possible. We have 3 switches and that's how its gonna have to be.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    We dont have much cable management in the cabs are we have very short patch cables, got a company who makes them for us, looks alot better than longgggg cables stuck down the side etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12