+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Edugeek, I need your help! Netgear solution issues in Technical; Another update.. We now have an independent arbitrator and I have asked Network Installs Ltd to respond on this thread ...
    Thank Post
    Another update.. We now have an independent arbitrator and I have asked Network Installs Ltd to respond on this thread if possible so you guys can form a completely unbiased opinion.

Thank Post
    Final update. I called the school on Friday to ask them if they wanted to go ahead with the arbitration and they said "they were happy with the current state of play".

Just to clarify.. School are happy with 5% packet loss and a 1 minute+ wait after reboot to connect to wireless network.

Nothing I can do I'm afraid. I appreciate this will leave a few you of you frothing at the bit. Like those folks I also dislike/loathe leaving jobs not properly finished and technology not working. I dislike more when humans have to work around technology in the manner they currently have to.

Settling for anything less than the best for the kids IMHO is just not good enough but in this case I have to let it go.. (dies a little inside)...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @johnymac
    Just remember to cover yourself for when the school ring you back and moan about why other things don't work in 6 months time.

4. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Domino (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seconded: get them to email you to that effect.

Otherwise it'll just be your problem later....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5% packet loss is unacceptable IMO, I would still get on to the company to fix it because it is sub standard. Anything more than 0.005% packet loss is unacceptable to me, but then I am a stickler for getting things to work properly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    . Anything more than 0.005% packet loss is unacceptable to me, but then I am a stickler for getting things to work properly.
    Any packet loss is outside my expectations, its a LAN for heavens sake, sure its wireless but there should be enough stable coverage to provide appropriate conectivity. There again I also hate wireless on principal because it is so slow and unreliable in comparison to wired connections.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    It is the future though, and IMHO, the next big, if not major, change to the way networks function in schools.
    I don't disagree but wireless at his stage is still slow compared to a gig link, it is still in the future stage as far as speed goes. The APs are not the only problem, I would like to have extencivly tried some of the managed wireless solutions but they cost so much it is difficult to get buy in from any of my schools. Even if the APs are up to standard that is only half the battle, wireless is still a field full of cheap wireless cards and aweful drivers. Thats not even counting the weird messy OSs that cant talk to certain solutions thanks to their OSs and low grade chips.

Wireless is good and I would not want to live without it but it is still a big bag of trouble when it comes to reliability and dependability. Its on its way but its still alot rough for a dependable solution.

Thank Post
    Wise words.. Have sent them a request.

Thank Post
    Even if the APs are up to standard that is only half the battle, wireless is still a field full of cheap wireless cards and aweful drivers. ...

Wireless is good and I would not want to live without it but it is still a big bag of trouble when it comes to reliability and dependability. Its on its way but its still alot rough for a dependable solution.
    Hear Hear

Si

Thank Post
    @johnymac

If you want to PM me, I have discussed this thread at some length with the guys at Netgear UK and they are more than happy to get involved and try to resolve any issues the school may have with the equipment or the installers.

The Netgear Prosafe product range cannot be compared to the consumer range and there are enough reports on this very forum of people that have good results with Netear products both Consumer and Prosumer.

I must say that some of the comments made about Netgear in this thread seem neither fair or justified in fact most of the system is Aruba anyway, one of the most respected WiFi manufacturers in the world.
    To compare a fully managed wireless system to a Netgear 602 domestic Sky wifi Router is just a flippant comment and with all due respect to your status and standing in this community @Dos_Box, sounds somewhat unprofessional.
    Clearly this was an (IMOHO) statement made without prejudice of course.... (as I have had cease and desist notces for saying less....) and I am sure that Damian at Netgear would be more than happy to let you have some kit to fully evaluate if you so wish.

There are plenty of posts elsewhere compaining of the mighty "Ruckus" having issues with certain types of netbooks and I personally have had serious issues with Intel chipsets and Extricom...

All vendors at sometime make mistakes and Netgear are no exception - look at the SC101 NAS box! but most learn from mistakes and partner with others that have proven track records like Netgear and Infrant or Iomega and EMC even Cisco and Linksys..

The hardware vendor does not deserve to be publically flogged for what is most likely to be an installer or configuration issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I am very sure Edugeek would happily test and evaluate a full Netgear Managed Wireless Solution and compare it to the likes of Ruckus. Get the Netgear people to drop Dos_Box a line and I am sure he will get in touch with them and go from that point.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    @johnymac

If you want to PM me, I have discussed this thread at some length with the guys at Netgear UK and they are more than happy to get involved and try to resolve any issues the school may have with the equipment or the installers.
    If you could pass my details onto them please ... I have commissioned a report looking at a range of areas to do with wireless networks and don't have a Netgear contact right now.

Thank Post
    Hey all, just a quick update. Requested school emailed me something saying they are willing to close the case. They said they will investigate and get back to me. This was a week ago and I'm still waiting. As I am essentially out of the loop due to the fact the school said they are happy I have asked Network Installs Ltd to read this thread again and to action your requests.

Thanks everyone for your hard work and commitment. I know this post may sound a bit "middle managementesque" but it's the best I can do until the school come to a conclusion on if they see the wireless as fit for purpose or not.

Thank Post
    Another update.. STILL no confirmation from the school after 2 "gentle nudge" emails... So we still don't know if the school are happy or not with the current state of the wireless. It's a pretty sorry situation tbh

Thank Post
    This surprises me, I have a few schools out there using the WMS5316/WNDAP350 and the earlier WFS709TP without any issues (typcally 30 users a classroom).

You can't compare the WMS5316 Wireless Managment System (note: not controller) to the controllers by Meru, Aruba etc, it's only around £400 but I must say, for a compromise when you need load balancing and channel allocation management, then for the money, it fits the slot.

I think someone mentioned getting Netgear UK involved, that would have been my suggestion too.

I would be interested in the outcome.

Jaco45er

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast