+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Edugeek, I need your help! Netgear solution issues in Technical; Originally Posted by nephilim Shame you are in bradford, I would love to take a proper look! Just one last ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Shame you are in bradford, I would love to take a proper look! Just one last question, why was no demo done?? The company that did the install should have done a demo to see how much coverage an AP would get, and to see how the signal ratios are!
    I guess only the company that supplied the wireless can answer this. I will ask however I don't think it was a requirement placed by the school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    that is so ridiculous, why would no school insist on a demo? Sorry just seems like common sense to ask for one. Please ask for us!

Thank Post
    Problem 2) The wireless solution wont allow devices to connect/reconnect until after an X amount of time after boot up, usually ~40 seconds.
    This is normally fixed with a gpo 'Group Policy Login Delay Untill Computer Policy is Applied' and is common with wireless setups as the wireless drivers dont get applied soon enough for the policy to run and everything gets delayed.

Thank Post
    oh and this
    Computer configuration | Administrative templates | System | Logon | always wait for the network at computer start-up and logon setting

5. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

TechSupp (23rd January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    edutech4schools, the packetloss issue is nothing to do with that, however you do make a good point!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the links back are fine, then i can only imagine it being some form of configuration error. without looking at the config i doubt it would be easy to point out what we could change (i don't have a NetGear AP to look at to be honest to even have a look what kind of configuration you could do on such AP).

If the APs have been upgraded to the latest version of the firmware, then at least you can rule that out as being a problem without any issues. If you logon to the managed switch what does that give you back in regards to information? is there anything you can do in regards to configuring the ports that the AP's are plugged into? if so how has that been setup?

Just thinking out loud at the moment as i don't have anything to look at, it would be handy to see how the management (WMS5316) has been configured..

Even thought it is a NetGear solution, with it being Modern Kit i doubt you would be having these kind of issues so it's got to be setup wrong in some kind of way but be handy to have a look at the config/managment.

Some wireless network cards (generally the software) does not allow the wireless settings to be remembered. Are you using the built in Windows Wireless Network Configurator to connect or/ are you using the software for the Wireless NIC? (Intel ProWireless) < if they are using Intel ProWireless cards for example there are settings within that software you need to configure to allow the Wireless to be connect before LOGON.

With regards to the packet loss, if you PING one of the AP's without anything connected to it do you get any packet loss? and if you connect a device to an AP do you get any packet loss from the AP? or/ do you only get packet loss if you ping the Device connected to the AP.

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 22nd January 2011 at 06:43 PM.

Thank Post
    7x WNDAP350 all wired back to 1 x GS724TP, with a single WMS5316 connected.
    And how exactly does this array attach to the rest of the network?
    This sounds like a configuration issue.
    I would look closely at the uplinks to the netgear switch & array especially if connected back to a Cisco, also any trunked links into the Netgear will cause severe packet losses unless configured correctly.

Thank Post
    just for curiosity, have you got any vlans configured??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    This is normally fixed with a gpo 'Group Policy Login Delay Untill Computer Policy is Applied' and is common with wireless setups as the wireless drivers dont get applied soon enough for the policy to run and everything gets delayed.
    This might solve some of our issues, (and the next tip you gave :-) ), but where is the setting in GPO to set the first one?

Thank Post
    This might solve some of our issues, (and the next tip you gave :-) ), but where is the setting in GPO to set the first one?
    Sorry I copied pasted wrong info. just go with the second post for the moment (always wait for the network at computer start-up and logon setting) and ill try and dig out correct info for first post.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    are the APs running POE??? because to my knowledge the GS724T doesnt support it (I gave my one to Dos_box so I am now unable to test that theory but I could never get it working!)
    They’re all running PoE, the switch is a GS724TP..... exactly the same as the GS724T, but with PoE.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    This is set and doesn't solve the issue *Engineer already informed me. Sorry I didn't mention this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    And how exactly does this array attach to the rest of the network?
    This sounds like a configuration issue.
    I would look closely at the uplinks to the netgear switch & array especially if connected back to a Cisco, also any trunked links into the Netgear will cause severe packet losses unless configured correctly.
    /me quirks an eyebrow..

How does that make sense if the Cisco WAP performs fine when directly replacing(same network socket/wiring/room etc) a netgear WAP?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    oh and this
    Computer configuration | Administrative templates | System | Logon | always wait for the network at computer start-up and logon setting
    Yea, this is already set.. Quoting an email from one of our Engineers:

"Everything you put is right, also the wait for network GP is set for all computers on the domain but still had the problems..."

Thank Post
    Just an update on this, I have agreed to an independent arbitrator, is anyone local who is qualified that wants to submit themselves? I have suggested the losing party cover the feed of the arbitration if there is a fee involved. Thoughts please?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast