Poll: Cost per pc

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, How much do you spend on average..... in Technical; We spent 650 ish per machine for our new media suite (with windows 7 64bit) but usually 400 ish for ...

Thank Post
    We spent 650 ish per machine for our new media suite (with windows 7 64bit) but usually 400 ish for normal it suites (xp pro, the machines still run cs4 happily though). Both with 5 year swap out warranties.

I believe that you get what you pay for so if you spend 200 quid a machine even with a long term warranty there is a reason they are so cheap and I wonder how much time they will be in a class as opposed to in a couriers van on the way back to the supplier.....call me cynical!!!
    Last edited by RTFM; 13th January 2011 at 11:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @mrbios:

All our workstations are microATX format 200w psu and at the moment house core 2 duo motherboards with mostly 4Gb RAM 120Gb SATA HDD and a 5 year onsite warranty at a cost of £329 complete with E17-DA Neovo hardglass 17" TFT monitors.

They are very quick machines and more than fulfil the curriculum and admin needs.

As my budget has been reduced as of this last year I have had to devise a new strategy and this will probably involve purchasing a motherboard bundle and have found a decent i5 processor with heatsink and fan with 4Gb RAM which will slot into our cases at a cost of £215.

This would mean my 5 year replacement plan can still go ahead at approx 6k per ICT suite which at the moment is costing me just over 10k a saving of 4k which will be spent on other renewals such as projectors etc.

This motherboard bundle is Intel with Intel processor and Kingston memory to answer RTFM who thinks that you have to spend a fortune to get the best, this is a common failure within schools and this is what the salesman exploits.

I hope I haven't upset anyone but we as a school have very little budget for IT but over 9 years I and my team with good hard work have saved our school in excess of £1m by planning carefully and starting from the ground up, for a school of our size which is 720 students has been no easy feat but with the support of our SLT and staff we have managed to succeed.

Our uptime is 99.978 at the moment and I am very proud of my team ( Webman, Tallan ) well done.

Apologies for rambling on

Thank Post
    If your buying new though and not getting all the parts separately and then putting them together (some teams won't have the capacity to do it the way you are) then you are going to have to spend a to get the warranty, licensing, and a hardware spec which wont be out of date and redundant in 2 years as well as run the software a lot of shills need now (cs4 or 5 for example) then schools will have to spend a little more than 215 on a bundle of ram, processor, heatsink and fan.

Ultimately if you have a spec in mind and you get multiple quotes for this and haggle them against each other (which we do and I am sure everyone else does) then Its amazing the prices companies can drop to.

I personally dont think around 400-450 quid for a decent machine which is capable of comfortably running Cs4 etc is bad including licensing and 5 year warranty.

Every schools budget differs and every it departments resources are different so a lot depends on those 2 things.
    Last edited by RTFM; 14th January 2011 at 12:40 AM.

Thank Post
    @RTMS:

Yes you could be right in one sense but it doesn't take much to work out a ten year strategy if you get the core infrastructure right in the first place then you don't have to keep on buying new all the time.

You mention CS4 well we run solidworks for our technology and a few other 3D rendering apps and these workstations we are running at the moment which cost us £329 as I have mentioned in previous post handle them with ease. Add £70 for a license and it comes to less than £400 with 5 year onsite warranty.

I cringe when i hear of people paying over £400 for school computers especially these schools that pay £900 - £1200 for Macs just because the teacher or head of ICT likes the look of them.

Too much waste in education but that will soon be a thing of the past with this governments cuts.

Yes you also mention that some schools don't have the expertise or the man power to do what we are, well all I can say to that is SLT have failed in their interpretation of what IT does for schools and if used and managed wisely can cost very little compared to other resources which drain the money from the schools budget.

I do agree with some of your comments but not all

Thank Post
    If everyone thought the same way the world would be a very boring place!!!!!!

Thank Post
    @RTFM:

Thinking smartly is not boring but then thats why we have a forum like this to share good practice is it not?

Its to try to help people see and work together for a common good, which everyone can either embrace or take no notice of, that makes sense does it not?

I do feel that sometimes its just about common sense, then I am surprised by comments made on this forum.

If we did everything the same then we would be boring but if we disregarded good advice and help then we would be stupid would we not?

I just like to help people and give them an insight to what we do at our school, the same as every single member on this forum because we are all proud of our schools and we want to help so we in retrospect do things the same, does that make me and you "Boring?"

I don't think so do you?

Thank Post
    I think you may have read slightly more into my comment than i intended for anyone to

I do agree that the whole point of this forum is to ask for and give advice and share best practice wherever possible and there is certainly no harm in that, infact its for the best that people who need advice have a reliable place to get it when necessary

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Around £450 with licences.
    I would of guessed around this mark or more inclusive of OS, AV and any other subscriptions ie paper cut, remote control software ( Impero ) etc etc

Thank Post
    From a quote

Intel Dual Core E5300 2.60GHz LGA775 FSB800 2Mb Cache CPU
    Intel Micro ATX DG41RQ 1333MHz, DDR2 800MHz, 1K LAN, VGA, PS2 Motherboard
    Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 Non ECC CL6 Dimm
    Samsung 160Gb 7200 RPM 8Mb Sata II Hard Drive
    Samsung Black Sata 22 X DVD Writer
    PC71131 MicroATX Black Silver Chrome Small Form Factor Case
    5 Year Next Business Day On-Site Warranty

LGA 775 Ball Bearing Heatsink and Fan

£411

The quality is decent and we standardise throughout the school wherever possible which reduces maintenance costs after the warranty expires. The 5 year NBD on-site warranty is a big selling point for us too.

We could get them cheaper but long term costs start to rise when it comes to maintaining them not just monetry but technician time is also considered.
    Last edited by alan-d; 14th January 2011 at 09:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've just purchased a bunch of new computers at £499 inc. monitors and licences, and 3yr warrenty. Now these are from a 'Big Name' company and this will mark the 4th room we've updated using this brands computers. Now perviously we have had 3 other types of computers in the school. The oldest being RM. Now these have lasted for ever and are now getting just slightly past their 5 year point. The other 2 brands we have had are from smaller companies and we have had all sorts of issues, and spent too long testing, and RMA'ing them back to be fixed. So far (touch wood) the PC's from this 'Big Name' have been no problem.

So i have to say in my experance that paying a bit more and ensuring that you have warrenty cover is well worth the investment.

Thank Post
    The last PC batch here was around £518 Exc. VAT per machine. We used to get cheaper ones but I found spending a little more makes the machine feel far more responsive and last much longer over the years. £200 to £300 budget PC just don’t tend to last 3 or 4 years that well compared to £400 to £500 PC's.

Personally I like to do all those little upgrades, £20ish extra for a dual core, £20 ish extra for 2 gig minimum with a slot free for further upgrades in 3 to 4 years times if needed.to.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 14th January 2011 at 10:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Another thing is does everybody replace the monitors when they replace the PC?

I have brand new machines still using CRT's for the pure reason its so much cheaper and no point getting rid of monitors that work fine

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Another thing is does everybody replace the monitors when they replace the PC?

I have brand new machines still using CRT's for the pure reason its so much cheaper and no point getting rid of monitors that work fine
    If we were running CRTs we would, but as we're 100% TFTs now we don't. We have 2 ICT suites running monitors that have been here since before i started work here 4 and a half years ago and all the PCs in those 2 rooms have been replaced during their life span. We'll probably replace them soon as 17" screens with 1024x768 resolution just don't cut it any more. Minimum screen size is now 19" 4:3 but we're starting to move towards 22" widescreens as they can be had for £80 a piece now.

I had typed out a really long reply earlier, a very controversial one too, then the page refreshed and i lost it all (not to do with your monitor problem as per quote but to do with the thread in general)

Thank Post
    From the other side of the fence,

95% of my education customers are buying £350-£450 machines and I'm noticing alot more people are asking about clone machines.

One thing to mention is, that I've got a couple of schools that are in the top 2% exam results type list and they both buy dual core machines with 2GB. I'm not sure flocking to I3 and I5 really makes sense, are they really needed?

Thank Post
    For a desktop I'd expect to pay £300+ for the base unit £100 for monitor.

I'd only buy new monitor if old one was <1024x768 LCD or a CRT.

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast