+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Wireless Networks Thread, Unreliable networking in Technical; I'm not familiar with AT switches but if they are like 99% of other enterprise switches the management port needs ...

Thank Post
    I'm not familiar with AT switches but if they are like 99% of other enterprise switches the management port needs to be connected to with an RJ45 console cable and then access the switch using hyperterminal, teraterm or putty. The management port general isn't an ethernet port and you won't get link activity on it

Thank Post
    In answer I am not sure whether this switch needs configuring with an RJ45 to DB9 connector or not. In any case, we have no netbooks or laptops with a Db9 or RS232 as these have dissappeared in recent years. The hardware manual is soemwhat confusing because one section says it needs a DB9 - RJ45 cable to set this up and then in the next section is says this:

"Out-of-Band Ethernet Management Port
    The out-of-band 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet port is dedicated to management
    traffic on the AT-9900s switch. Use it for initial configuration and on-going
    management tasks. The default IP address for the port is 192.168.242.242 to
    allow remote access. This port is reserved for management only; the switch
    does not transmit frames between this port and switch ports."

So PASS, anybody else have dealing with AT-9924SP switches?

Thank Post
    *** UPDATE ***

We have managed to get two new switches and I have replaced one of them and the issue seems to have gone (so far).

The core switch that I have been able to connect to, seems to be operating in within normal thresholds. For some reason although I have set up the switch via telnet and successfully connected to it I cannot HTTP into it! The sister switch, no issues at all. I will reset the non-connectable switch tonight and try again.

I found out that you do indeed need a RS232 or DB9 to RJ45 cable in the end. I got one with my new 8000 switch and was able to utilise this. I cannot believe that our networking company did not leave this for us.

I have also set up IP's on the rest of one of our more problematic segments and been able to test these switches. Early indications are that nothing untoward it going on.....the plot thickens I think.

Anyway, thanks everybody for the help with these issues and to Paul above too...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    The out of band management port is a standard ethernet port, configure your laptop with a suitable ip address and connect it to that port, it is not a serial port.

Ben

Thank Post
    ...Yes thanks for that. Actually I agree, this should be as you say and Out Of Band port. Strangley though it work as a serial port. I have now (using it this way) set the switch up to be accesible from HTTP requests from an IP in our subnet range. One of the 9900 series switches has done this correctly, but this one refuses to connect. I have ensured and double checked that the config file is there and that the HTTP server is running as well as the IP is pingable and it is. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The out of band management port is a standard ethernet port, configure your laptop with a suitable ip address and connect it to that port, it is not a serial port.

Ben

Thank Post
    HI

Try the default username and passwords for the switches a lot of installers dont set passwords.

Richard

Thank Post
    Hey guys. Sorted!

Thanks for all the help with this you guys here and this resource is ace.

The fix was complex but worked:

1. Replaced one failing switch on one segment
    2. The older of the two switches could not access it's own GUI because it didn't have one....doh. The original system had no GUI and I about to flash one onto it!
    3. The switch is operating normally anyway.

So the main issue was a failing switch on another segment on the same subnet! So far so good, looking calm.....

lol

Thank Post
    do you know what the fibre is that you are using in the backbone? ie multimode, singlemode and how old it is? some old fibres had a service life and would possible not support Gbit, as they are aging this can cause elements to drop out, if you are also expericening issues on brown outs this could also means that the actual light levels are low and then the loss across the cable could be too great for the switches to interpret. It maybe worth getting the link tested for performance as a link using a tester such as a Fluke or ideal tester which can check against an agreed standard, I would suggest either TIA 568c or ISO 11801 which would confirm if the fibre backbone could support Gbit.
    May prove more cost effective that changing the switch and less distruptive as if required the new cables can be run, terminated, tested, then out of hours crossed patched over.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123