+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, RM SmartCache and non domain machines in Technical; Hi, I am not sure where the best place to post this is? I am trying to get a non ...

Thank Post

RM SmartCache and non domain machines

Hi,

I am not sure where the best place to post this is?

I am trying to get a non school laptop (not part of our domain) to use our 'staff' filter rules via smartcache. Unfortunately the laptop reports 'default' policy, and on the smartcache logs the domain and username are blank shwoing an ip address as the machine name. This ip has to be dynamic so setting the laptop to a static ip is not an option.

Any ideas, can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Thank Post
    Have you tried installing the Smartcache client on the laptop

RM SmartCache Client Installation Home Page

Thank Post
    There are 2 ways to tackle this.

Within the Maintenance settings you can either change the logging level to:

OPTION 1 - Enabled with Security
    You will have to install the RM SmartCache Client software on the non-domain laptop.
    Then go into Filtering > Computer Management and select Manage Non Active Directory Computers
    Then enter the details (computer name) of the non-domain laptop and select the appropriate filtering

OPTION 2 - Enabled without Security
    All clients with the RM SmartCache Client software will be filtered with the correct filtering rule, but all other clients will be filtered with the rule you specified as default.

This would mean you would not have to install the RM SmartCache client software on the non-domain laptop.

You could change the Default rule to be that of the Staff Policy, the 'major' downside to this is that any other non-domain client (or a client without the RM SmartCache client installed) that connects (student laptop etc.) will also default to the Staff Filtering Policy.

Depending how old your RM SmartCache box is (newer than June 2005 I think) you should have an update that allows authentication via AD, therefore eliminating the installation of the RM SmartCache client.

Unfortunately our kit is older and RM will not apply the update (even though spec wise there’s little difference between this and a new RM SmartCache2 box) and I’m having a nightmare trying to configure a VLAN Guest Wireless through it whilst applying the correct filtering rule(s) for non-domain/school clients.

4. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

trogers (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks MYK-IT

Still didnt work, I went with option 1 but something is blocking the ident packets. Disabled firewalls on the laptop but no joy.

The Smartcache reported that is receiving the request from '-' on machine '10.50.2.12' and it was allowed, but the laptop just returned a 'access denied' on any page.

No security works but on default policy and with the 'major' downside is too large to make it possible.

Our Smartcache was purchesed in June 2005. They need to be newer than June 2006 to be allowed the update.

So the answer currently seems to be - there isn't one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Try using the Retina Scan IDENT software instead of the Smart Tracker. You'll still only get the IP address of the machine rather than the hostname, but I've found it to be more reliable in getting the username, which is what you appear to be missing from your last post.

If it works, I have a .msi installer for it that you can deploy if needed.

Thank Post
    I don't remember the detail I'm afraid but we never got our Smartcache to work properly with non-domain machines, however hard we, and RM, tried. As I remember it the problem was something similar - everyone got default policy - it didn't seem to be able to recognise the machine and there was no option for the user to authenticate with domain credentials. We switched to a Sophos WS500 and all the problems went away.

Thank Post
    Thanks Angry. It works to return the username, so progress, but still only getting default policy.

It seems we have the same problem as Ian.

Very odd.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread