+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, PAT Testing - seeking advice on what to tell a new PAT Tester in Technical; this is why u would use redundant psu's pull one out, test it, replace it, pull other out test it ...
    Thank Post
    this is why u would use redundant psu's
    pull one out, test it, replace it, pull other out test it replace it be on your way.

technically the server itself comes under the low voltage wiring act (if it has no rails +/-50v). there's a possible, tho prehaps not legal, way round it for you.

the person doing the pat testing should tell you the legislation, or quite clearly there the wrong person for the job and this needs to be highlighted to their manager/as far up as needs go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    technically the server itself comes under the low voltage wiring act (if it has no rails +/-50v). there's a possible, tho prehaps not legal, way round it for you.
    The what? If you think the thing is SELV, I think you really need to do some reading on it. The mains earth is carried to the case of the server; therefore NOT SELV.
    A SELV circuit must have:

• protective-separation (i.e., double insulation, reinforced insulation or protective screening) from all circuits other than SELV and PELV (i.e., all circuits that might carry higher voltages)
    • simple separation from other SELV systems, from PELV systems and from earth (ground).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Any recommendation for a PAT test unit the one our caretaker has is a shoe box sized yellow coloured job wheras the one I see the electrician using at my other school is a much bigger machine. I suspect the one our caretaker has can't test the 100 miliamp earth bond.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Yellow Shoebox sounds like it could be a Robin unit, you need to find the make and model as if its a Robin it probably can do it / be software upgraded / reprogrammed by you using the instructions to do any extra testing you require. Most firms I see come in to do en-mass testing bring very large Seaward units with test and tag kits as part of them so they just carry them around, test and job done, it barcdoes, prints the stickers the works for them to save them handwriting all the stickers (which takes forever in an ICT room....)

5. Thanks to john from:

speckytecky (7th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12