+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Slow typing on network connected computers in Technical; I have an issue that seems to be affecting all our users connected to our network. At random times during ...

Thank Post

Slow typing on network connected computers

I have an issue that seems to be affecting all our users connected to our network. At random times during the day when they type the computer does not keep up with them. Firstly we put this down to older computer equipment but it seems to be affecting brand new computers. It is affecting computers on the domain and computers not on the domain.

Firstly we thought it was related to the office suite but after a lot of testing we found it also affected Windows (we opened run command and had slow typing). This is becoming issue that we are struggling to solve.

We believe it is to do with traffic on the network; we have got 3Com network switches on site. These are 3Com 5500 and 3Com 4210. I have very little experience of configuring these switches. (it was previously installed and setup/configured by a company that no longer exists).

During the summer holidays we made a number of large changes including virtual servers. We are trying to work out where or what the problem is with no luck.

On the switches they have STP/MSTP/RSTP enabled on different switches (I believe). We have no other reported problems with our network apart from slow typing. With regards to STP not sure which one we should be using on our switches STP/MSTP/RSTP. Our core switches (3com 5500) have RSTP enabled. Also should the core switches have loop/root/edge protection enabled? It is all off at the current time.

At current our symptoms are:

Switches around the school are constantly flashing
    No reported issues with network (i.e. log on etc)
    Slow typing on different computers
    Affecting wireless and wired devices
    No Virus found as yet (scans have been run)

Any suggestions on what to do to try and solve the problem?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds very odd to me...

Have you tried pulling the network cable when the problem arises and seeing if that cures the issue? You could also try using a knoppix or ubuntu boot disk and see if the problem replicates on the Linux OS. I always suspect Anti-Virus whenever computers experience slowdowns, so it might be worth checking when the anti-virus runs, often it updates, and how big the updates for the anti-virus are.

A quick google search has indicated that it might be near to death batteries that cause the fault, so is the problem with Desktops as well? Mind you, if the problem is on new machines, you wouldn't expect that to be the case. However, it may be worth pulling the battery and running on AC to see if that fixes the problem.

Another culprit is apparantly the ati hotkey poller service, so if that applies it would be worth checking the service list on an affected machine.

Thank Post
    Thanks for quick reply.

So far it is affecting desktops (without batteries) and laptops with batteries.

When you say you suspect Anti Virus, do you mean the anti virus software is causing the problem? We have two different anti virus running, on our domain machines (AVG) on our staff laptops (non domain) we have Sophos. Anti Virus is run from two different virtual servers. However the problem seems to be affecting machines with Sophos and machines with AVG. So I slightly ruled out Anti Virus.

I had a quick look at one of office staff computers that have reported the slow typing on a regular bases. They do not have any “ati hotkey poller service (Ati2evxx.exe)”. However I do suspect a number of staff laptops are running this on there machines (laptops). I will look at a laptop which has the issue to see whether disabling ati hotkey poller service prevents slow typing.

My thoughts are is something to do with the switches as they keep constantly flashing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How many bytes are passing through your computers? If you double click on your LAN adapter, or wireless adapter, does it seem to be increasing at a rapid rate? I'm not sure whether you would have Resource Monitor on your PCs (It's windows 7 onwards I think), but that would certainly give you the information as to how busy your network is, and whether that's the cause.

The only reason I doubt that its the switches is because, well, switches tend to constantly flash...

But if I'm wrong, then its at least narrowed it down to a network fault, and I don't think I could help with that I'm afraid, I've not had much cause to reconfigure my switches.

Is there anything obvious in Event viewer during the times that the keyboard issue occurs? Or any other piece of software that is universally installed across the school?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you \ have you ever run Impero on your network? We had this issue a long time back with an old version of the software.

Thank Post
    Hi

Network activity - not hugh amount of bytes being sent from a wireless laptop which does have slow typing issue.

Impero

We have got Impero V2 running on our network. Last year September 2009-2010 running perfectly fine with our network. We did however have two networks running Admin and Curric both with different IP/subnet etc.

This year Septebmer 2010-2011 we have Impero running on Windows Xp machine. (virtual server). On one network

I was really hoping Impero was not causing this problem. We spoke to Impero in October to rule out this they didn't beleive this would cause the problem.

I think the real test would be switch Impero off for a day and see if this solves the problems.
    Last edited by jamesda1; 17th November 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is thread somewhere in the V2 forums re this issue in a US School District. Your could just disable the workstation on a bunch of PC in the offices or somthing for a day to see if that resolves the issue.

Were currently on V3 here which has been going very well so it might be worth considering the upgrade.

Edit: I think this is the link http://www.imperosoftware.com/suppor...?TOPIC_ID=1222 but i dont have access to the v2 boards anymore
    Last edited by fawkers; 17th November 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

I have removed Impero Workstation from office computers. I will have to wait and see tomorrrow whether this solves the problem. I have a log in for Impero support website but it does not seem to let me view the link either.

Thanks guys for advise. I will find out tomorrow if Impero is the route of the problem.

Thank Post
    I removed Impero from the members of staff machine.
    This totaly remove the keyboard typing speed. We are currently running Impero V2 on a Virtual Server I now plan to move to Physical server to see if this solves the problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello Jamesda1, Just for your information we were running impero on a physical server and still had the same issue.

Thank Post
    Hi

September 2009 - 2010 we run Impero V2 with on Physical box with about 400 users at a time.
    September 20010 - 2010 - running Impero V2 on Virtual box with the issue. We have increased the number of users by about 150. Total 550.

To solve the problem did you move to Impero V3?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I beleave an update within the V2 release did resolve this issue but we did then have sparadic issues which we couldn't quite pin on Impero. Since the move to V3 we have not had this issue re-appear, we've been running v3 for about a year now.

Thank Post
    Hi

We moved Impero V2 to Physcial box however this did not solve our problem. I think we are going have to have a good think about Impero V3 and see if I can find any money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread