+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Switches in Technical; Hi everyone hopin someone could shed some light on this, we have a load of switches around different cabnets in ...
    Thank Post

Switches

Hi everyone

hopin someone could shed some light on this, we have a load of switches around different cabnets in the school and i have only started replacing these this year bought some HP Procurve 2510 switches which are great.

The old ones we have are 3com 4400 and one 4900 SX switch which is the fibre link for all other cabnets.

The issue i am having is i can telnet into the new switches with no problems but can access the older switches i also checked DHCP and cant see them with an IP address for some reason although everything is working great. I can see the new HP ip address but not the 3coms. Does anyone know how i could go about getting logged into these i have tried using 3coms network manager but for some reason its not starting when i install it on the computer.

I will be changing all the switches hopfully next year just i want to make sure i have addresses set aside for everything and that i can log into them to make sure everything is working alright.

any help would be great

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    The switches don't need an IP address themselves to be able to pass traffic - so if you're not seeing them in DHCP, chances are they are configured with static addresses that may or may not be in the same address space as your main network. Or they don't have IP addresses at all, which is possible.

Quickest way to sort it would be to grab a console (serial) cable, stick it in the back of the switch, and fire up a direct console session using Hyperterminal or PuTTY. IIRC from the last time I say a 3Com, they even have the serial port settings to use written on the back next to the COM port.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Aaron (3rd November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thank you for your reply i will try this tomorrow see how i get on was using the console settings today to do software updates on the switches. I will give this a try tomorrow and ill post how i get on

Thank Post
    Thank you yes that has worked a treat so far i have been using putty to login to the older switches and once ive done this and set the IP to auto and then set a reserve for the mac address on DHCP its worked no problem.

Thank Post
    i have some of the switches are connected by a cascade module which links the two switches together, I have changed the names of the switches and set them up seperatley although for some reason the joining switch gets its reservation no problem but the main switch doesnt the reservation for it stays inactive

Thank Post
    When you say set them up separately, do you mean they are no longer configured to cascade and no longer connnected?

Thank Post
    sorry i had logged into each console one at a time but left them in cascade but got everything sorted now didnt think about it when they are cascade they act as one switch only using a single IP in DHCP but in the 3com management console both switches are available under the single IP.

Everything is all sorted now they are all secure, passwords set and IP's reserved and can now be viewed from my pc, next will be moving onto VLAN's

thanks for all the help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    sorry i had logged into each console one at a time but left them in cascade but got everything sorted now didnt think about it when they are cascade they act as one switch only using a single IP in DHCP but in the 3com management console both switches are available under the single IP.

Everything is all sorted now they are all secure, passwords set and IP's reserved and can now be viewed from my pc, next will be moving onto VLAN's

thanks for all the help
    Glad to hear its sorted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread