+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Prevent broadcast beetween vlans in Technical; Dear All, I don't know much about Vlan and I am trying to configure my first attempt at my work ...
    Thank Post

Prevent broadcast beetween vlans

Dear All,

I don't know much about Vlan and I am trying to configure my first attempt at my work place, so please forgive me is I sound clueless in my configuration. We are a school with lots of broadcast. A DGS-1224T works very well as our core switch, and after reading the example on the asymmetric Vlan configuration is the switch I have configured the switch with the following vlans:

01) I haven't touch the default vlan at all, so all the ports are members.

02)ports 1 and 3 are members

03) port 24 is a member

I have also made ports 9, 11,13,15,19 and 21 (where ours servers, services and internet router is connected) parts of the three vlans.

This configuration works very well and computers in each of the vlans can't see each other (can't ping to each other) which presumably will improve the traffic. However, when running wireshark on one of the vlans, it still detects the broadcast generated by the computers in the others vlans, and I have been told broadcast is bad for a network!

Shouldn't the vlans prevent the broadcast among themselves? Should I tag ports to achieve this?
    Thank you very much for any kind advice you can give me on this.

bio
    Thank Post
    I don't know DLink that well. But the term untagged and tagged are in the 3com world as well. And then you config sounds strange to me. For example you have port1 vlan 1 & 3 untagged !! Its only possible to have 1 vlan untagged on the port. This is the reason that you'll see other broadcast traffic from other vlans.
    My advice is to place all workstations in vlan A and all servers in Vlan B untagged. The term tagged is used whe you need to have multiple vlan on a single port. This is called trunking.. then you ned to put primary vlan untagged and all other tagged.

hope it helps
    bio..

3. Thanks to bio from:

maestromasada (19th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks Bio, of course you are right if all the ports are on VLAN1 therefore no matter what I do broadcast will get everywhere! I remove port 5 from VLAN1 and added to VLAN2, togegher with ports 9-21, but I coudn't connect to the servers, is it 100% sure that I need a router or layer 3 device to connect to VLANs?? I reckong I have to read a lot more aobut the subject!

bio
    Thank Post
    Very true indeed. for routing between vlans you need a layer 3 device. I checked for you but the DGS-1224T does not support this

bio..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread