+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Anyone tried Logmein Hamachi (VPN software) in Technical; Just tried new product from LogMeIn called Hamachi . Sounds like a 8) idea: Create a VPN through all the ...
    Thank Post

Anyone tried Logmein Hamachi (VPN software)

Just tried new product from LogMeIn called Hamachi. Sounds like a 8) idea: Create a VPN through all the firewalls and proxies in the world by relaying via a public IP address (provided by LogMeIn).

Their software sorts everything out and it is quite easy to set up. However, when I hovered over my status it said "Relaying (Slow)" and it wasn't lying! I managed to browse the remote server but not actually open any files. :cry: Also, it gives the remote server a odd private IP address, so my PC didn't know that it was called "\\Server", so even if it was fast enough, I wouldn't have been able to use exisiting drive mappings or sync files. There is an IP file in Windows, IIRC, that lets you add specific DNS settings. I might trial the Pro version to see if it gets any quicker.

What sort of speed to you folks with real VPNs get?

Anyway, nice idea. Shame it doesn't quite work.

Thank Post

Re: Anyone tried Logmein Hamachi (VPN software)

I've got a Cisco VPN connection into my network provided by the LEA. It works very well, I can access servers, copy files to and from the network, and use remote desktop to administer the servers with minimal delay involved. Unfortunitely DNS doesn't work properly over it, so you have to address all the servers via their IP numbers, but this isn't the end of the world.
    The other drawback is when you're connected it knocks out your local internet access, as the Cicso client completely takes over the network adapter with its own protocol, and won't allow any other traffic through it while it's connected to the VPN.

The limiting factor for me is the speed of my internet connection.

Mike.

Thank Post

What do you think you'd find advantageous in having a VPN connection compared to just the normal Logmein.

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Well, you can access any network resource - as you are on the network, rather than just remotely controling one computer. I am, at the moment, networking the staff laptops. They use offline files to access their work at home. However, because very few staff ever bring their laptop into work, nothing will ever get synchronised. If I had a VPN, they could do this transparently. The HT also would like to be able to put things on the network and for staff to be able to access them from home. Of course, VPNs have their downside: primarily security. Also they are complex to set up (with all the firewalls etc...). Therefore, as a primary, I doubt I'll ever get round to doing it!

Logmein is great for me to access the server from home, but, even if you did have the Pro version, it is a bit hit and miss if you want to try transfer files from network drives whilst dialed into a workstation.

Thank Post

Sorry, I was just thinking about remote administration - not user access.

regards
    Simon

Thank Post

Well, even for admin it could be handy, especially as I've only got Windows 2000 server and some of the active directory tools only run on XP. Of course, the simpler solution is to install logmein on one of the work stations - I tried that once and it worked, but after I reinstalled the computer, I could never get it to go. Also, now that 'EcoClub' are forever going round switching computers off, you can never find a damn one that's been left on!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Logmein works fine for me - compared it with a VPN and performance wasn't noticably different. I wouldn't use it for any more than dropping in to do the odd task, for that it's perfect.

If I want to send files from home I email or FTP them over. I wouldn't trust any other method on such a connection anyway (not security wise, just stability of the connection). So I'd think that might be a bit painful/ impracticle for your users.

Citrix/ RDP gives you the percieved performance and would be usable for longer lengths of time of course.

Thank Post

Errata: It's an old product LogMeIn bought, it uses UDP and won't traverse any competently configured firewall that blocks UDP in both directions (outbound DNS being the common exception), it is or was an IANA reserved address range not an "odd private IP" which is naughty.

Personally if I were looking for something"free" I'd cut out the middle men and use something open source.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eean
    Well, even for admin it could be handy, especially as I've only got Windows 2000 server and some of the active directory tools only run on XP. Of course, the simpler solution is to install logmein on one of the work stations - I tried that once and it worked, but after I reinstalled the computer, I could never get it to go. Also, now that 'EcoClub' are forever going round switching computers off, you can never find a damn one that's been left on!
    Yikes! Never do system admin form any machine where non-IT staff have regular physical access. The EcoClub doesn't turn off the servers overnigth do they?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat
    Yikes! Never do system admin form any machine where non-IT staff have regular physical access. The EcoClub doesn't turn off the servers overnigth do they?
    No, not yet! As I'm in primary, I don't have my own dedicated workstation for system admin, nor do I have a little cupboard to sit in. (I do have a classroom, however). Keepin' it real. 8)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread