+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear ProSafe Wireless Question in Technical; Just been quoted a wireless system for our primary, it has to cope with 30 netbooks being used in one ...
    Thank Post

Netgear ProSafe Wireless Question

Just been quoted a wireless system for our primary, it has to cope with 30 netbooks being used in one classroom or split between multiple classrooms. Been quoted Netgear ProSafe WFS709TP controller and WGL102 AP's (just looked at specs and cant seem to see if these support n, shows specs for b and g but not n?)to cover the school. Although we are told that the netbooks will be able to see at least two AP's at anyone time and manage the load, what situation would we have with this kit if it can only see one AP reliably due to wall construction etc. Been told itrs based on Aruba which is supposed to be good but entering unknown waters witrh my knowledge now so seeking your help. Before anyone asks, yes I've had a quote from Aggy for a Ruckus solution and one for Meru but we need to see what other options are available so we can make an informed choice based on cost and performance. Final choice will not be just based on cost.
    Last edited by TechSupp; 11th October 2010 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    The WGL102 is a agb light access point and I know the equivalent fat ap can only handle 20 connections. so would need to be deployed such that the system could load balance on two access points

There is a netgear n system but it is not a fully managed system it consists of Fat access points who pick up configuration from a central management controller. I am using the WNDAP350 and WMS5316

Chilbs

Thank Post
    WHat about the awesome RUCKUS!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Before anyone asks, yes I've had a quote from Aggy for a Ruckus solution and one for Meru but we need to see what other options are available so we can make an informed choice based on cost and performance.
    Sure I said we had looked as this as an option.

Wes
    Thank Post
    The Netgear solution won't cope with 30 netbooks imho even the 802.11n system (we have some of those APs here and they're each about the size of a laptop also!). Load balancing doesn't seem like the ideal solution, you need to find out how the Netgear system handles this, you may end up with a bunch of real slow connections and a few good ones. If you want to keep costs down and buy into an enterprise class system which you can use for years to come you could look at one of the controllerless vendors like Aerohive. This keeps the costs of deployment low as there's no wireless controller to buy, the APs as far as I'm aware are the same price as an Aruba, Meru or Ruckus AP. Aerohive is centrally configured and monitored via software network management which is provided on the AP and is not integral to the working of the WLAN. Aerohive also have a neat applet called Teacherview which allows teachers to see what the students are doing on each connected client, point their browsers at stuff etc. There are no feature licenses to buy, everything comes as standard inc. QoS, stateful firewall, guest management, VoWLAN capability, Airtime Scheduling etc etc. Netgear will be cheaper than most but it's providing less. The question is, it enough for your needs. I would question whether any 802.11a/b/g new deployment is a good investment. I would at least go for their .11n kit.

Thank Post
    In the interests of looking at options available does anyone have a contact for Aerohive? Was not overly impressed by the Netgear option and would rather pay more and get less irate calls as to why they have connection problems.

Wes
    Thank Post
    Contact Mark Powley. He's the Aerohive channel manager in the UK. mpowley@aerohive.com 07931 371565

Thank Post
    I have used aerohive for my solution in my school, we have laptop trollys and multitude of users at once. I am really looking forward to Aerohives new feature, TeacherView!!!

Definatly get in contact with them, theres some interesting tools and demos on their website aswell as some good case studies and whitepapers, drop me pm and I can let you know about my project I worked upon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread