+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Logon Times in Technical; Ok, I'm nearly giving up so bail me out. We've got a Windows network with predominantly XP clients and for ...

Thank Post

Logon Times

Ok, I'm nearly giving up so bail me out. We've got a Windows network with predominantly XP clients and for some reason, initial logons to the domain have suddenly increased to around a minute and a half (which for a laptop means ages).

Every subsequent logon is fine at around 20 seconds (regardless to user), but the first after a cold boot is always really slow.

Any idea what happens during the first logon after a bootup that doesn't on those afterwards?

I thought it was because the machine was still starting services, but the delay is still the same if I leave the PCs to settle down before trying to login.

The only major changes we've had recently are a load of Windows updates due to an incorrect setting on the WSUS server, and we've moved heavily over to GPO preferences. But we had done this already after the summer break and log on times were fine.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hagridsbeard View Post
    Ok, I'm nearly giving up so bail me out. We've got a Windows network with predominantly XP clients and for some reason, initial logons to the domain have suddenly increased to around a minute and a half (which for a laptop means ages).

Every subsequent logon is fine at around 20 seconds (regardless to user), but the first after a cold boot is always really slow.

Any idea what happens during the first logon after a bootup that doesn't on those afterwards?

I thought it was because the machine was still starting services, but the delay is still the same if I leave the PCs to settle down before trying to login.

The only major changes we've had recently are a load of Windows updates due to an incorrect setting on the WSUS server, and we've moved heavily over to GPO preferences. But we had done this already after the summer break and log on times were fine.

Any ideas?
    Hard to say, have you checked the logs onthe machines? might give a clue.

Our machines are always slowed down first thing by the antivirus Updating - always updates first time they are turned on!

Or have you any scripts running at boot? removing profiles etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    Have you logged one of the workstations when this takes place as this will help you determine what it is what is holding the login up.

I would think off the top of my head it may be a GPO issue but this will show up when you log a session when logging in to a workstation.

hope you get it sorted

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How is your DNS looking? Have you had any issues recently?

Anything in your event logs on the clients or domain controllers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Logs
    DNS
    Network traffic on bootup? (EG WOL? connecting to wireless if applicable? static or DHCP?)
    Is there much redirected? (Start menu, my documents etc)
    Profile deletions on first log in? (I have it set to delete profiles on log off, which makes log off longer, but nobody really takes notice on the log off as by the time the next class is in, the machine is ready to use again).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    How is your DNS looking? Have you had any issues recently?

Anything in your event logs on the clients or domain controllers?
    DNS seems fine. We don't clear profiles on shutdown/log off, so it should be fast each time, but each fresh boot/reboot has a first logon of around 120 seconds, then 20 for each after that.

Just trying to get my head around what is unique about the first logon after a reboot/boot.

Wasn't sure if preferences are cached. Our start menu short-cuts and printers are all mapped using preferences, which does create a small lag while they are resolved, but are the results of the preferences cached for the next user?

If so, that would account for the delay, but I can't find anything to back that up.

Thank Post
    Download Policy Reporter 4

Enable policy recording (or whatever its called) on one of the affected computers.

Reboot then logon and it will record everything that is happening on logon and how long it all takes. This may point to your slowness issue.

I managed to drop off about 15 seconds from a 30-40 second logon by finding out how to stop IE Branding on logon!

8. Thanks to siuko from:

hagridsbeard (5th October 2010)

Thank Post
    That's the sort of thing I'm looking for, I'll give it a go. The thing that make me think it's not policy or profile related is that theres around 30 seconds at applying settings, then another thirty with a part desktop, which is after all the GPO's have been processing isn't it?

Starting to look at software now, and in particular Impero and Sophos.

But then on a test machine with that SW removed, the log ons are still long the first time. Unless they leave stuff behind.

So frustrating.

ajs

Thank Post
    Have you tried enabling verbose logging and seeing which part of the "applying settings" takes the longest?

Sounds like you may have the same issue as suiko with the IE branding.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread