+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, ruckus wireless bandwidth issues in Technical; Howdy, Having a few problems with our wireless system. Essentially, in certain places in the school, we get very good ...

Thank Post

ruckus wireless bandwidth issues

Howdy,

Having a few problems with our wireless system. Essentially, in certain places in the school, we get very good signal strength, but the bandwidth varies from 65mps to 6mps (laptop is wireless N capable). It seems to continuously drop and increase, and as we redirect documents etc it makes a big difference to the usability of the laptop. We have had quite a few issues with our wireless (requires resetting every so often or the whole thing grinds to a halt). We have 6 access points in school, 3 upstairs 3 downstairs and you are never further than 15 metres from one. Everybody seems to rave about the ruckus system which leads me to believe there is something wrong with ours...

Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These sort of issues scream of interference and the like to me. What sort of construction is the school? ie. large slabs of steel? Did you do a site survey before installation to see what sort of interference there would be on the wifi frequencies?

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

Duane_Dibbley (1st October 2010)

Thank Post
    I wasn't at the school when it was intalled. I gather that a site survey was done, and we were told there wouldn't be anywhere in the school that wouldn't be able to use the wireless. This is not true...there are places above the access points which can't get signal, but I would expect that anyway as the AP's broadcast down. The school walls are generally thick and brick, some concrete, i think it was built as a hospital in the 30's. Just seemed strange that can get excellent signal strength, but the bandwidth is so low and changeable. No doubt you are right and it is interference, just wondering if there are any settings that can be changed to improve it.

The room in question is ~10metres from the access point in the corridor, but in a straight line there are 2 walls in between. I used to be based in that room, and used a laptop with wireless G which didn't seem to have many problems. This particular one is on Wireless N and the bandwidth jumps from 6-65mps and everything in between constantly. I tried with a wireless G laptop today as well and it simply wouldn't connect - signal strength was very good but wouldn't receive an ip.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What have you got running the underlying network? ie. your switches. Anything special like vlans?

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

Duane_Dibbley (1st October 2010)

Thank Post
    nope nothing special. All switches are 10/100 at the mo, but we have purchased gigabit replacements - waiting till half term to put them in. That should help with overall throughput, as the zonedirector is downstairs, and the servers upstairs - all wireless traffic upstairs has to go downstairs to zonedirector, then back upstairs to servers etc, with upstairs and downstairs connected by a single cat5e cable. The cabling etc in the school isn't exactly mapped out brilliantly and sometime in the future i'm looking to ask the head to see if we can reorganise...but tbh I doubt he will go for it.

With regards to the signal in the room in question, I now base myself in a similar room at the other end of the school. To all intents and purposes it is a mirror image of the other room, and so I would expect similar problems in here but I have none. I get perfect signal, and a constant 65mps throughput.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Traffic doesn't route via the zone director as far as I know - it goes straight to the destination, the zone director simply keeps the AP's in check, and deals with connection traffic (ie. things like cell handoffs and the like).

On the AP issue - have you tried swapping the seemingly working AP with the seemingly not working AP? ie. see if it is the AP that's doing it?

Thank Post
    Have you checked on the zone director for any obvious problems (like the AP being in mesh mode for example)?

Also, do you have many other wifi networks nearby? perhaps check with insidder on a laptop - http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider
    Last edited by Chris_Cook; 1st October 2010 at 08:54 PM.

Thank Post
    The Ruckus APs only go to the zone director for authentication and config, all other data traffic would be direct. Are they all "gateway APs" (cabled to the network) or are some of them meshing to get to a gateway AP?

Run inSSIDer or netstumbler real quick to check the channels and for other APs. Otherwise, are there any other wireless devices, phones, or even microwaves ovens in the area?

Thank Post
    I think maybe what Chris_Cook was suggesting was checking in the Ruckus admin console, sorry not at work so can't remember the proper name of it, but I guess the OP has already done that.

Thank Post
    What code is your zonedirector running?

Thank Post
    Right, sorry for not replying earlier. Just managed to track down the ZoneDirector login info - not logged into it before.

Have you checked on the zone director for any obvious problems (like the AP being in mesh mode for example)
    Mesh mode is disabled.

What code is your zonedirector running?
    Absolutely no idea, where would I find this info?

Thanks for all your suggestions. You may have noticed wireless networking is not one of my strong points (tbh I dont have many strong points). As far as I am aware, the AP's are cabled in. I think the setup was a pretty default one, DHCP is off etc. The only thing I have done with it is reset it every ~1month, as it seems to "clog up". Gets to the point where a class of kids using 15 laptops take 10-30 minutes just to log in, and then its virtually impossible to save to network drives etc. A reset seems to cure that. This is however the first time I have logged in to the ZD, so maybe I can do something with it :S

Thank Post
    Funnily enough ours is doing the exact same - we have about 28 points around school and either the speed drops or there are issues connecting
    I have been meaning to contact stuart and the guys at Net Ctrl who are brill at fixing this but not had a chance - will do tomorrow hopefully!
    Ours is set up the same as the OP with no VLANS but running on a mixture of 100mbs and 1Gb switchs

Thank Post
    This is weird... we have been having the exact same problems, been happening for many many months in a certain part of the school, I've spent 2 hours after school tonight trying all sorts of things, moving access points about, connecting them to different switches etc etc.

I am now running the latest Firmware that was put on the Ruckus Website in the last few days, our Wireless Clients are Interl WiFi 5100 AGN cards, again running the latest Drivers.

We use Wireless Projectors and causes major problems with disconnections.

Any pointers would be great cos I'm stumped!

Thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    You can tell what version is running under the Sytem overview on the dashboard.

@mattpant - what version are you running? 8.2.2 build 7? I have a 5100AGN card in my laptop and have been having problems with the latest driver but not in this respect.

17. Thanks to White_Fi from:

Duane_Dibbley (6th October 2010)

Thank Post
    You can tell what version is running under the Sytem overview on the dashboard.
    version 8.1.0.2 build 3

You think it worth an update?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast