+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Wireless Networks Thread, ruckus wireless bandwidth issues in Technical; As a general rule I always recommend one Access Point per classroom and not corridors to 'share' the wireless over ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    As a general rule I always recommend one Access Point per classroom and not corridors to 'share' the wireless over two classrooms. In pratice it doesn't work and everyone gets frustrated due to poor performance. I've seen this set up in many schools just to save money.

Even with the latest wireless N Access Points, you have to be realistic that it won't support more than 15 laptops with decent connectivity. I'm sure 50 laptops connected is possible, just not very practical.

When diagnosing wireless issues, I always strip out the security temporarily and run it unsecured. If you still experience problems getting an IP with no security then re-designing the wireless network is a must. Upgrading to the latest firmware (whichever brand) is recommended, running WPA2 AES which is the most secure.

Remember it's not just roaming profiles which are being downloaded. The probability is you have AV software downloading updates and WSUS downloading Microsoft Updates to every client, so the more Access Points the better. Installing them in classrooms, as high up as possible (2/3 feet from the ceiling) for the best results.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Ruckus AP is treated like a switch you trunk (802.11Q) the port. If your using HP you will want you management vlan untagged and your other vlans tagged.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    The Ruckus AP is treated like a switch you trunk (802.11Q) the port. If your using HP you will want you management vlan untagged and your other vlans tagged.
    That depends on how you set up your VLANs. Personally, I don't set up the AP's as a trunk device, as every device on them is part of the wireless VLAN and as such there is no point in having to set up special behaviours on the AP, so I leave my wired switches to do it all.

And Michael, modern n class APs can handle 50 laptops fine. Look at this user's situation - they can get 13 laptops working ok on a single 54Mbps radio device. Comparing the AP's from Ruckus (the 2900 series with the 7300 series), the original has a guide of 15Mbps bandwidth throughput, whereas the 7300 has 150Mbps bandwith, so 10x as much. Meaning the OP should be able to get 10x the number of machines working at the same level.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It depends if you have different ssid on different vlan you would then need to present the vlans to the AP. I would at least have a separate vlan for wireless devices.

Thank Post
    guys i know nobody has replied to this thread for a little while but i know how frustrating that 6mbps connection rate thing is.... I've not read all the posts past the first few so please apologise if the OP got this sorted or someone sorted it for them etc etc

Basically, I had this problem in one of our schools (support company, look after 50+ schools).... literally we spent a whole week there trying out different things, settings etc etc with the Ruckus gear to solve this problem.... no joy..... In the end, we got an RF frequency scanner..... turns out, particularly in slightly older schools, that the installed alarm PIR sensors emit microwaves in the 2.4 GHz range.... these sensors pre-date wireless data and they obviously thought it was a safe range to use..... basically they absolutley scream RF interference out from about channel 5 up to about 10.... The origional poster mentions there were only certain classrooms that seemed to get poor performance while others were not problematic. Sounds to me like the working classrooms either a) didnt have one of these particular kind of PIR's in them or b) those Ruckus AP's happened to assign themselves one of the few channels thats far enough away from the interference ( mainly 1 or 13). Those asking why didnt the ZoneDirector swap channels etc.... well my theory is that it only picks up noise from data sources and adjust channels accordingly, not from such things as microwaves!

If anyone else is having this issue, defo check your alarm sensors! It absolutley never occured to us that it maybe those until we got the RF scanner (we got the Wi-Spy 2.4i... about 60 quid but proved invaluable). Since we discovered those PIR's we knew what to look for in similar school sites with reported 'issues'....turns out we found those sensors in about 10 more of our schools. A good indication that this is whats happening is to look through the AP's logs in the ZoneDirector, think you have to export to a text file or something but in there you will see a feild 'phy errors' or something.... Those are physical errors.... in our situation these were literally running up towards 100's of thousands in minutes.

Anyways, hope this helps the OP and anyone else who stumbles across this thread
    Last edited by Andy_Corrin; 4th July 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Great shout Andy,

Yes they are a killer for Wi-Fi, especially Chubb, they operate between channels 7 and 11 and kill wifi 2.5 channels away from their centre frequency.

Wi-Spy is a great tool for quick and dirty spectrum analasys.

Also be cautious of protection mode being enabled in a mixed 802.11b/g network. Even if you don't have any b devices in your work force a visitor or a near-by AP beacon transmitting at 802.11b will enable protection mode on the AP that hears the beacon. In turn the AP enables protection mode and any other nearby APs(I.e your WLAN) will also enable this function. It's a ripple effect throughout your WLAN.

All that unessary contention overhead will drop your data rates.

Best practises - enable OFDM only and set a min tx rate of 5.5Mbps on you WLAN, of course not if you have 802.11b only devices

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345