+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, VOIP phone data points in Technical; We have recently moved buildings, so I've cabled up 20 network points, terminated into a patch panel, which is made ...

Thank Post

VOIP phone data points

We have recently moved buildings, so I've cabled up 20 network points, terminated into a patch panel, which is made live through an unmanaged switch. We have two vOIP numbers, which when plugged into the router work fine. I want to be able to plug them into the data points but am unsure how to go about it.
    Do I need a RJ11 to RJ45 converter or is it more complicated???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Did you have voip before? What is it you want to plug into the rj45's with converters normal telephones?

If so that's not going to work.

To be frank it sounds like you don't actually know what you are doing and what are trying is just not going to work.

Ben

Thank Post
    It's an opticom phone that when plugged into the BT router works on the VOIP line. I have cabled up the office with 20 RJ45 data points for networking PC's... Is there a way of getting a converter and plugging these into the data points. I have never set it up this way so you are right in saying i don't know much about it.

Or am i gonna have to leave it plugged into the router and get an extension cable to reach the desks i want the phone on???

Thank Post
    So you want to go from the BT router > Infrastructure cable > Phone? If so then yes, this is possible, and you can buy RJ11 to RJ45 convertors that do what you want.

If however it is in a different building for example, and you plan to plug the phone into a network socket and then into a switch which is linked to the BT router then it will only work if it is a true IP handset (which would have an RJ45 socket not an RJ11 socket on it)

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    If that phone is a normal analogue phone and plugs into a standard phone socket on the BT router then unless you physically have a copper cable going from your new location to the old location where the BT router is then no you cannot just use a converter.

For your phone to be able to traverse the network and access the BT router it would have to be an IP based phone.

In locations where you have phones plugged into converters this is only because at some point they are physically connected via copper to the phone system and it's just using the strucutred cabling rather than running additional phone cables.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread