+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, simple 5 port switch in Technical; ...

Thank Post

simple 5 port switch

Hi

One primary school i work in has two problematic network switches that will randomly drop the connection and require unplugging and plugging back in to get them working again. They are very old D-Link 10/100 ethernet switches. So i am about to purchase some new switches and am looking at netgear specifically on amazon. However, i dont quite understand all the variations they make. They have Prosafe, managed, unmanaged, platinum... Ranging from £16 to £40. The switches will simply be plugged into three computers, a wifi access point and an uplink. Due to the schools budget, i am opting for the cheapest one which appears to be the "Platinum" version. Is there any reason to go for a more expensive one?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the network structure, probably not. It may be worth going for a gigabit one if the switch it connects to is also gigabit. Just watch out for loopbacks if people meddel with the patch leads as these can bring down a network. This would probably be the only reason to go with a managed one so that you could use STP to preven that kind of fault.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willith View Post
    Hi

One primary school i work in has two problematic network switches that will randomly drop the connection and require unplugging and plugging back in to get them working again. They are very old D-Link 10/100 ethernet switches. So i am about to purchase some new switches and am looking at netgear specifically on amazon. However, i dont quite understand all the variations they make. They have Prosafe, managed, unmanaged, platinum... Ranging from £16 to £40. The switches will simply be plugged into three computers, a wifi access point and an uplink. Due to the schools budget, i am opting for the cheapest one which appears to be the "Platinum" version. Is there any reason to go for a more expensive one?

Thanks
    Hi Mate,

I have a 24 Port 3Com which you can have, I used it at for about a year, works fine, PM if your interested.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread