+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Meraki vs Ruckus in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    A guy from Aruba is calling me on Monday (quite good timing for a random sales call for once!) so will have a look at it next week. I do wonder if they'll be able to get down to the Ruckus price level though? Meru I've had demos of, the claims behind the 30 laptops logging on at once at full speed sounds great but the solution was a few £k more than Ruckus \ Meraki so rules that one out tbh.

It's a 10 AP max solution we're looking for here, probably a top end of 30 devices on at any one time (and that's being optimistic) so doesn't need to be enterprise level but it does need to just * work *

The way I do things here is that if any technology can't be set up so tutors can just turn it on and get going then it's out the door, so whatever wireless system we go for needs instant connection, easy roaming and strong signal throughout so it's a set and forget extension to the current wired network...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have an HP system and it has lot of problems. I was over ruled and we ended up spending an extra £20K on this kit I would go with ruckus. Cisco and other providers do a lot of you looking to do business systems with ACL and radius. Ruckus system delivers what I believer is required in education to support 30 laptop per class room so that could be 60 an AP!! The controller of Ruckus is also includes all you need to manage the system with other system you need to have some kind of management system at extra cost.

Big question have you got money to pour down the drain?=Yes go for another system.
    Ruckus has managed to delivery speeds twice as fast as Cisco in a test by tom's hardware guide.

Harrow school has ruckus the end!!!
    Last edited by nicholab; 1st October 2010 at 02:48 PM.

3. Thanks to nicholab from:

White_Fi (1st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    I'm not getting into an arguement about it. Ruckas is an entry level management wireless system if compared to Cisco/Aruba and that is fact. I also didnt say it was rubbish because it isnt (I wouldnt sell it if it was)
    Yeah, you'd be wrong there - large municipal schemes, such as those in India, make use of Ruckus. There's no 'entry level' about it.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yeah, you'd be wrong there - large municipal schemes, such as those in India, make use of Ruckus. There's no 'entry level' about it.
    Thank you. I agree there are not as many deployments out there compared to Cisco and Aruba etc, lets face it you don't get fired for buying Cisco or any other trusted name.

But Ruckus is growing wiser and better with age. Watch their space!

Cisco and the likes of others have started to realise that to get better wireless they need to start implementing things that Ruckus do. Just a shame for them that 90% of it is protect with patents.

Thank Post
    To be honest the Cisco wireless system is shockingly poor compared to the rest of the competition. After seeing Ruckus, Xirus, Aruba, Meru etc the Cisco system just doesn't seem great. We settled on Ruckus in the end as it provides everything we want and more, while giving us a decent WiFi connection in 95% of the school. If we wanted to do anything really fancy (and Ruckus can do a hell of a lot anyway) then we'd be looking to do it with our Juniper switches/Juniper Firewall/Smoothwall Proxy.

8. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Thank Post
    Bottom Line

Meraki: Great for Public WiFi (no recurring costs for Public WiFi APs aka "Pro License", cheap 802.11g APs).
    Ruckus: Great for enterprise wireless (best in class wireless technology, excellent management, and competitive pricing).

Note: If you're curious about Meraki's management interface, you can create an account and login. https://account.meraki.com/login/new_account
    Last edited by cbrasga; 2nd October 2010 at 04:20 AM.

Wes
    Thank Post

WIDS

The rouge AP is identified, blocked and if necessary bombarded with dated to render it useless. Not sure how Ruckas deals with it though :-)
    2.4 and 5GHz are unlicensed spectrums (public), you can't just go knocking out other people's wireless. There is no way Aruba does this, it would probably be illegal.

I think you need to also look at Aerohive's product. Like Meraki it offers Software as a Service, cloud based management. However unlike Meraki, this is simply a management console and not a 'cloud controller'. APs don't rely on any controllers, they are intelligent and use a set of protocols to create a distributed control plane and local forwarding. All APs come fully featured, out of the box including stateful firewall, RADIUS and WIDS. There's no need to set up VLANs for guest access. Guest traffic can be managed by the APs in the firewall. Also, you won't have the hassel of asking the LA to open up firewall ports for outgoing traffic as the APs use HTTP over port 80 to speak with the cloud based network management.

Moreover Aerohive offer hardware appliance and a VMware version of the management platform if you prefer. The APs don't care if they see the management platform or not, it's simply there as a NMS. You could take it away and the WLAN will not be affected. APs in my experience cost no more than any other 802.11n and you don't have the controller outlay, licensing costs or single points of failure associated with controllers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    2.4 and 5GHz are unlicensed spectrums (public), you can't just go knocking out other people's wireless. There is no way Aruba does this, it would probably be illegal.
    Sorry but Aruba *does* have this functionality - it was explained to Somerset Network Managers a couple of years back when they demo'd their gear to us.

Wes
    Thank Post
    I'm sorry, but I believe you were misinformed or have misunderstood. Aruba certainly has WIPS built into the AP, as do many other vendors but you cannot 'bombard' other transmitters in the unlicensed, public 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrum, which was my point.

Anyway, not the main point of the thread..... don't want to argue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, but I believe you were misinformed or have misunderstood. Aruba certainly has WIPS built into the AP, as do many other vendors but you cannot 'bombard' other transmitters in the unlicensed, public 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrum, which was my point.

Anyway, not the main point of the thread..... don't want to argue.
    The capability is there. It was demonstrated to us. They did say that such functionality could only be used against AP's within an organisation (eg. if a teacher brought in their own AP and tried to use that, it could kill it off), and that using it to attack external APs would be potentially illegal.

Arguing that it doesn't have that functionality is pointless, I've seen it in action.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    but you cannot 'bombard' other transmitters in the unlicensed, public 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrum, which was my point.
    I can.

Wes
    Thank Post
    yes, maybe you can, but you shouldn't - it's naughty. Anyway, now we're just playing semantics.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yes, maybe you can, but you shouldn't - it's naughty. Anyway, now we're just playing semantics.
    Semantics can make all the difference.

Wes
    Thank Post
    I think we've all learned something today

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast