+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, 2 DHCP Scopes One Network 2 Schools in Technical; Hello, I have a Problem In that we have 2 school on one physical network, although we currently run seperate ...

51°44’45.75”N 2°13’57.28”W With 182ft Elevation
    Thank Post

2 DHCP Scopes One Network 2 Schools

Hello,
    I have a Problem In that we have 2 school on one physical network, although we currently run seperate domains. The other school runs all of there clients on DHCP and we run all of ours on static ip so not a problem. The issue is we now want to setup RIS for server 2003 and need a DHCP scope. So yeh we setup one and it runs but the problem is there computers pickup are addresses and are computers get some of theres. The other issue is we want very soon in the future to setup a WINS database between the 2 schools. We have seperate Ip ranges but on the same network and how can we get our computers to get our addresses and theres to get theres.
    NB:
    - Cannot Physically seperate networks as both sides need other sides network infastructure to get to there computers.
    - Would a Router somewhere in the network solve the problem and how?
    - How is a dumb computer that want to be built from RIS going to know which Ip range it wants?

Please Help
    Feel free to email me on alex.chestnutt@stroudhigh.gloucs.sch.uk with anything no matter how small an idea.

Thanks in advance

Nuttygeek

Thank Post

Re: 2 DHCP Scopes One Network 2 Schools

Not entirely sure I get you, but would 2 VLANs help? Splitting the network in 2 while keeping the same switches?

Andy.

Thank Post

I don't understand how you have 2 schools and one physical network - could you explain this further?

If the schools are geographically separate with a single link between, a router would do the trick otherwise you would need 2 VLANs on your switches (separating out which ports belong to which network).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

One the second DHCP scope (the one for the site with static addresses) use reservations via MAC addresses. This will get rid of the problem of the first scope giving the wrong addresses to the machines on the other site, but still allowing you the benefits of DHCP.

I would recommend you use reservations on both sites. It can make life so much easier.

Thank Post

But if a machine from the site the site with the static addresses contacted the 'other' server - it wouldn't know about the reservations would it? ...or something...

Seriously tho - I'm with Ric - would love to know more about the setup you have going on there!

Andy.

Thank Post

I must admin I struggled to form a coherent sentence from the question, but I suspect that what you want is some way for both networks to talk to each other. If this is the case, what I've done in the past is, get a box with two NICS, one on each IP range. Don't add to a domain, just have a workgroup, and set up a trust.

Other wise, could you clarity you question, as we all seem to have different interpretations!!!

Thank Post

Ok,
    Firstly for the suggestions so far they will all be looked into i do like the Mac address idea, cheers to everyone though.

You want more ok, it a boys school and girls school next door physically to each other with a joint 6th form and we have joined the 2 schools fibre together in a link in the joint music block ( a number of subject use the same facilities for both schools) this link was put in because the headteacher will never allow one school to control the entire ICT infastructure, so we are going to put in WINS instead which will get around that problem and give freedom to the students to log on anywhere. We can disconnect where its joined because we would lose are music and dt machines and they would lose there 6th form machines. They are 2 seperate networks joined at the fibre.

With the problem of the reservation contacting the other server could we not tell that server if it gets that type of request to redirect it to our server? ( i dont know never done this before)

In short:
    -Same physical site and joined fibre overall one network with 2 system running on it
    -2 domains to be joined by WINS ( no an issue at present)
    -Has anyone used RIS?
    -Willing to try anything

Check out the picture that might help but is likely to confuse, also i failed art at school but then we never had computers in art like they do nowerdays.

Thats all for now folks!
    Nuttygeek
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

What's the WINS for?

Why not have 2 domains with a trust? You could then use one IP range and log onto either network from any machine. This would also mean that there is more flexibility as to what each machine can be used for.

VLANs would do the trick for you (essentially giving you two physical networks without changing the infrastructure - assuming that you have layer 3 switches).

BTW - Like the pic!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 1,000 Posts

If you have one vlan wouldnt that block the other network and hence be a seperate network anyway ? Or does it require the 2 vlans ? If so why ?

Thank Post

Ok ric cheers for the help will look into that, to everyone im still open to suggestions.

Nuttygeek

Thank Post

LMFAO @ your signature nuttygeek :

"Teachers have more degrees than a Thermometer, but still can't plug in a USB mouse."

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Not entirely sure I get you, but would 2 VLANs help? Splitting the network in 2 while keeping the same switches?

Andy.
    Yeah - I'd agree with that - its roughly what we have (assuming your switches are up to the task)

Thank Post

With the VLAN option, you could also assign some ports to be in both VLANs if you need to share certain servers, etc. across the 2 networks.

If you do go for the VLANs, I hope your switches have well designed management interfaces cos it could take you a LONG time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you are worried about machines picking up an IP Address from the wrong server then go for reservations on both scopes.

That way it will only ever get the correct IP Address.

Client 1 ask for address ... asks server 2 ... it says "go away .. I don't like you" ... it asks if there are any other machines to give it an address ... server 1 says "helloooooo nurse!" and then everyone is happy.

A chunk of work to set the schopes up with the reservations ... and the VLANs would work just as well.

Thank Post

and then the nurse computer says " down boy !! " lol :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast