+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Good switches to go for... in Technical; Hey, Why not look at getting in some Nortel switches they are very heavy duty and are very easy to ...
    Thank Post
    Hey,

Why not look at getting in some Nortel switches they are very heavy duty and are very easy to configure and te be honest I prefer them over Cisco switches.

You can get some good deals off of Nortel including at the moment we have a stack of 40 switches not being used pulled out of the switch room and Nortel are going to buy those back of us and give us a discount on our next purchase.

Maybe worth a look you can get some good switches with some really good hardware, check them out at :

Used Nortel Switch Network Equipment

Welcome to Nortel

Might I add also that Nortel switches are a lot cheaper than some of the other companies and seem to last a bit longer we had one with an uptime of nearly 6 years - it had never been turned off or restarted in all that time.

Our entire network is filled with these switches as they are excellent.

Thank Post
    My goodness. I go home for the weekend and come back to all of these posts!
    Thanks again for all of your posts and info.

Today we had some further network issues which really didn't help. It has been keeping me so busy it is a nightmare.

I noticed the HP Procurv 2510G-24 & 2510G switches, I also noticed that they were twice the price of the
    HP Procurve 2610-48 port
    and HP Procurve 2610 -24port

that I mentioned in the op.

My question is, in your opinion(s), would 1gbit be worthy of a primary school?
    We have just over 100 pc's. Mainly RM. Around 40 laptops which use the new RM managed wireless system (Trapeze)
    We have an RM CC4 system and a windows 2008 server system for windows 7 clients for admin which have around 15 pc's.

There is no ict suite, just lots of computers for class rooms. There is no expresso or mle system here.

In our cab we have:

A 1 x Allied Telesys AT-8000S 100mbps 48 prt managed switch
    B1 x Allied Telesys AT-8350GB 100mbps 48 prt managed switch
    C1 xAllied Telesys 100 mbps 48 very old unmanaged switch
    D various 100mbps mini switches for the admin network. (no more than 24 ports needed)

I had already earmarked C and D switches to be replaced. But what with the continual network issues I am experiencing, I am now wondering about replacing the lot.
    But if I were to go for these gigabit managed switches at over 1000 each, I would be looking at 3000 for switches a,b and c and then about 350 for a 24 port managed hp switch for admin.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    the cisco/linksys slm2024, 2048 arn't bad - there not the best but 24/48Gb ports, SFP's, and some management features such as vlan and agregating links/truning/bonding. 48Gb ports for under 500quid i think. we use them, a hp procurve 5406vz core switch and some older 3com superstack 3 on our network, no problems with the 10+ cisco/linksys so far.

Thank Post
    Cisco is expensive as are the HP Pro Curves, try this link you will be able to get a free quote.

Worth a look I think and they are dead easy to configure!!!

Nortel: Products: Ethernet Routing Switch 5510: FAQs

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Cisco is expensive as are the HP Pro Curves, try this link you will be able to get a free quote.

Worth a look I think and they are dead easy to configure!!!

Nortel: Products: Ethernet Routing Switch 5510: FAQs
    Erm. They seem to average > 3.5k for 48 gigabit ports. How on any planet is that cost effective compared to HP Procurve?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Erm. They seem to average > 3.5k for 48 gigabit ports. How on any planet is that cost effective compared to HP Procurve?
    We have a load of nortel switches for our core - they are ok but we are looking to replace with procurve next year

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    We have a load of nortel switches for our core - they are ok but we are looking to replace with procurve next year
    Why are you replacing them? And why not with new Nortels? Is it due to the pricing? ie. a 2510-48G comes in at about 900 when the Nortel equivalent comes in at 3.5k?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Why are you replacing them? And why not with new Nortels? Is it due to the pricing? ie. a 2510-48G comes in at about 900 when the Nortel equivalent comes in at 3.5k?
    The Nortel 5510's have nearly double the switching capacity of the procurve 2510-G's, and they can stack @80GB/s. THey probably have a whole bunch more features as well. There not really equivalent switches.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post
    My question is, in your opinion(s), would 1gbit be worthy of a primary school?
    Yes, all of my primaries run Gig to the edge switching and it does make a large difference with logon times (for the better).

Just make sure your existing servers have the throughput to keep up, if they are newer than 6-7 years old they should already have gig NICs in them, if not look to upgrade the NICs with server grade Gigabit ones as well. If they have more than one NIC each in them consider teaming them to allow for more bandwidth from the server to the clients, if not consider addin a dual port server grad NIC to up the avalible bandwidth in order to feed the clients data quicker.

Thank Post
    Cisco SLM2048 Cisco Small Business 48 Port Gigabit Smart Switch - Misco.co.uk - 380, that what i was on about.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The Nortel 5510's have nearly double the switching capacity of the procurve 2510-G's, and they can stack @80GB/s. THey probably have a whole bunch more features as well. There not really equivalent switches.
    And that level of capabilities is needed in a school why?

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    And that level of capabilities is needed in a school why?
    I agree asking the question "why", I've seen many people over the years spend so much on there Network Infrastructures within schools, I just cant see the need to try and get so much capacity when its never really going to get used to its full potential, but hey if people have money to burn in schools go for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    I agree asking the question "why", I've seen many people over the years spend so much on there Network Infrastructures within schools, I just cant see the need to try and get so much capacity when its never really going to get used to its full potential, but hey if people have money to burn in schools go for it.
    I agree, I know one local school who were able to buy a complete new cisco (proper cisco, not Linksys) backbone as part of a new build. My first thought was if they'd put in procurve there'd be enough money left over to refurbish ICT in another school.

I think procurve hits about the right spot. I don't see why any one would need anything more.

My previous school worked on a whatever was cheap scheme and it was a nightmare. I had to push the NM really hard to make him realise that although the unmanaged 100m/b D-Link at the core worked it needed replacing.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 28th September 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For secondary I might go with a Cisco core 3750 stacked and HP on the edge. You need two HP 5400 for a redundant network.
    Last edited by nicholab; 28th September 2010 at 09:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Another vote for ProCurves here, replaced our nasty cabling 2 years ago with 2610-24 and 2610-48s going back to a 5406zl, apart from some initial firmware issues (I'd recommend updating all to the newest firmware before they get put in the cab) they've been solid and the management is a breeze.

Still 100Mb to the desktop here with 1Gb links back per 24 ports, works fine for us for now then in a few years time the whole package of multi-Gb connections will have dropped down to 100Mb prices then we could phase in gradually over time... tbh when I look at the utilisation on PCM most ports aren't exactly hammering the network as is, only imaging and that gets one once a year via SCCM, set and forget

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast