+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Preterminated Fibre Cable in Technical; We have had a fibre cable installed buy our building contractors to a new building. They had purchased a preterminated ...

Thank Post

Preterminated Fibre Cable

We have had a fibre cable installed buy our building contractors to a new building. They had purchased a preterminated fibre cable - the preterminated ends have been protected by a rubber/plastic tube. Once i removed this i am left with the cores of the fibre and a connector i am used to seeing these going straight into a fibre patch panel and then out of the we use a media converter. It would be much appreciated if you could give soem advice on what to do next do we insist that it needs to be terminated in a pacth panel or is the some sort of housing to hold all of the cores and the preterminated ends.

Thank Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.

Have a look at this page Videk Online

The "Direct Termination" ST fibre trays might well be a solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    We have had a fibre cable installed buy our building contractors to a new building. They had purchased a preterminated fibre cable - the preterminated ends have been protected by a rubber/plastic tube. Once i removed this i am left with the cores of the fibre and a connector i am used to seeing these going straight into a fibre patch panel and then out of the we use a media converter. It would be much appreciated if you could give soem advice on what to do next do we insist that it needs to be terminated in a pacth panel or is the some sort of housing to hold all of the cores and the preterminated ends.
    we've ordered a length of pre-term fibre, with the clear plastic tube [which was there to assist with cable pulling] This is going to sound like a really absurd question, but how do you take the plastic grip off...it doesn't look to me as if it just pulls off ? are you supposed to cut it away with a stanley knife ? really don't have a clue.

i know what you mean about the best way to terminate. from the direct term boxes i've seen, there are only small holes in the rear of the 'housing' and so i think you have to feed each exposed core through one by one. That's just the impression i got from the small enclosure i've seen, direct term ST panels might be different.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    This is going to sound like a really absurd question, but how do you take the plastic grip off...it doesn't look to me as if it just pulls off ? are you supposed to cut it away with a stanley knife ? really don't have a clue.
    Assuming its the same as we had here, the plastic tubing should unscrew from the cable gland. Then just carefully pull the connectors out of the tube we cut the threaded connector off the tube to use screwing the fibre into the back of the fibre patch panel.

Thank Post
    Weve took ours off with a stanley knife very carefully not sure if this was the right way. left the glad intact.

Thank Post
    Why bother with pre term when you can DIY in 5 seconds...
    Belden FiberExpress® Field-Installable Connectors

I've done a few with these now and unlike cold crimps you can reuse them 3 or 4 times to get the technique right.

The downside of course is that pre term or diy you still need a way of testing or certifying afterwards.

We normally use 8 or 16 core and fit pigtails with a fusion splicer, but these are almost as easy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Why bother with pre term when you can DIY in 5 seconds...
    Belden FiberExpress® Field-Installable Connectors

I've done a few with these now and unlike cold crimps you can reuse them 3 or 4 times to get the technique right.

The downside of course is that pre term or diy you still need a way of testing or certifying afterwards.

We normally use 8 or 16 core and fit pigtails with a fusion splicer, but these are almost as easy.
    oooh I've not seen them before are they as easy as they claim they are ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    looks good (esp the OM3!) but alas only for LC connections...
    Whats wrong with the LC option? You can convert from LC to many of the other types, more and more kit is coming in LC form now so its probably going to eventually take over I suspect from ST as a the more common one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Whats wrong with the LC option? You can convert from LC to many of the other types, more and more kit is coming in LC form now so its probably going to eventually take over I suspect from ST as a the more common one.
    I was taliking rubbish, I had ST-LC mixed up. I even deleted the post in embarrassment

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    oooh I've not seen them before are they as easy as they claim they are ?
    I got a few freebies to try out and yes they are very easy to use.
    I have to reiterate though without a loss tester you will have little idea just how successful you may have been and if you have to buy test equipment then it's probably a non starter.

The downside of course is that the easier it becomes for anyone to install fibres the more cowboys will start doing it!

Thank Post
    I got a few freebies to try out and yes they are very easy to use.
    I have to reiterate though without a loss tester you will have little idea just how successful you may have been and if you have to buy test equipment then it's probably a non starter.
    Sounds a good product then I hope it catches on and reduces costs as it can be quite costly still to get fibre done properly. The cost of test kit is horrid wish that would come down in cost!

The downside of course is that the easier it becomes for anyone to install fibres the more cowboys will start doing it!
    Yeh That's a bit worry as too many people don't treat fibre correctly or look after it so it gets chucked in and hoped its right, it deserves respect and looking after

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread