+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Route Statement in Technical; I am new to the job as IT Manager at an Independent School and was asked to set up a ...

Thank Post

Route Statement

I am new to the job as IT Manager at an Independent School and was asked to set up a phone for a member of staff starting on Monday.

We had a spare phone, that had been bought from our phone supplier ages ago, but has never been set up.

The phones are on an IP system and therefore the phone company sent an engineer in to give me training on setting up a new phone and also to install the software that will allow me to manage the system.

However when he installed it on my machine it could not connect because the phone system is on a different IP range to the network. The bloke didn't know what to do so called his head office who advised that I needed to get a Route Statement to allow me to connect to a different IP range from my network. He then wouldn't help any further.

I find it very hard to believe that it is this difficult to set up a new phone. There must be some way of conencting to it because we have about 50 phones in school which must have been set up at some point!

I have also never come across a Route statement before so would this actually do the trick and allow me to connect to another range?

Any help appreciated!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    All you need to do is just set up your machine on a static address - give the network card two addresses one on the Telephone range and one on your network range.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Assuming this is windows then you type something like:

route add 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 192.168.0.1

What that does is say that the route to get to network 10.0.0.0 with subnet 255.0.0.0 goes via gateway 192.168.0.1

You need to know the network/subnet that your phone system is on and your default gateway. Your gateway (router) also needs to be setup to route from your PC network to your phone network.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys.
    I have managed to add my computer onto that range to at least be able to get the phone software installed. Having others issues with that now, but that's a whole different matter!

Thank Post
    Our IP phone system is configured such that IP phones need to be on a certain VLAN. You might check other phones and see what IP address they have and if you use VLANs - ensure the socket that you attach to is on the correct VLAN.

Good luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread