+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Cable Problem in Technical; Originally Posted by Brpilot99 Silly thought ... is it worth disconecting the cable from the classroom socket and putting a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    Silly thought ... is it worth disconecting the cable from the classroom socket and putting a standard rj45 plug on it to see if that makes a difference ?? That would eliminate the socket having some kind of silly problem ..
    I'm over your way next week if you want a hand or 2nd opinion
    Cheers
    Brian
    Courthill School
    Thanks

Thank Post
    do you have an asus pcs/laptops as some of them have some network cable testing software in their bios not sure how good it is but may be betetr than the std cable tester

Thank Post
    No Asus' here - just Dells and the odd Tosh

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    Silly thought ... is it worth disconecting the cable from the classroom socket and putting a standard rj45 plug on it to see if that makes a difference ?? That would eliminate the socket having some kind of silly problem ..
    I'm over your way next week if you want a hand or 2nd opinion
    Cheers
    Brian
    Courthill School
    Another good idea, if you are able to reterminate each end it may also fix it in the case of one of the terminations causing issues. This is probably way cheaper to do, the fact that it is in a black sheith indicates that it probably is outdoor cable but this 'building grade' solid core wire should always be terminated to a socket connector on each end as the way that RJ45 plugs terminate into it create horribly unreliable links. RJ45 plug conectors should only ever be used with multicore cat5/6 cable as this is what the connective wedges are designed to work with.

Thank Post
    There are a lot of cabling companies who are very helpful to schools and would do a cable test for you free of charge, if you were up t'North I'd put you in touch with the company we use. Contact your local schools and see if there are any companies they recommend, wouldn't bother with asking the LEA as if anything like ours they'll use a company that charges a fortune

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Try a known working laptop and if the laptop works and the desktop does not then is it the onboard NIC or is it a dedicated one ?

If onboard then you need to obviously ensure its enabled in the bios, if its dedicated then I would take the NIC out and reseat it and ensure latest NIC drivers are installed for it and test again.

If the laptop does not work and the desktop does not then if you try the laptop on the same port with a shorter cable, if it works with the shorter cable on the same port then the port is fine and I would then look at the longer network cable

Are you able to re terminate the longer network cable ( both ends - not sure if its a pre purchased network cable or not ) - if its a custom made one then I would re terminate the network cable , if its a purchased one I would try and get the said company to replace the network cable and send you a new one.

If it does not work with the shorter network cable you could try on other port(s) on the same switch or try it with another switch, if it works on the other switch then may be switch configuration - reminds me there was one switch at one place that I had to power cycle occasionally to rebuild the routing table so may be worth doing that ( long shot though )

Thank Post
    mac_shinobi:
    There isnt a desktop around, only laptops, of which I have now tried 3 - all of which work fine on the network elsewhere in the school.
    The cable from the port to the laptop has been a)remade and b)replaced (twice) and is pretty short now.
    The port has had a new faceplate including the wiring.
    The cable runs, through trunking across the room, across the gap outside, across my IT suite and straight into my main switch (NO patch panel involved) - which is my new procurve off which runs the whole IT suite - all ports are fine AFAIK. I did change the port just in case but no go.
    Looking at the cable, I think it is standard indoor cable that has been put in some sort of sheathing for the bit outside. (or does outside cable look the same?) I can reterminate the end that goes into my switch although, due to its location, I will have to do it standing on a chair!
    Brpilot99:
    I'm not sure about disconnecting the port and terminating the cable with an rj45 - well, I can do that, but reattaching it to the port is a different thing again and not something I have ever done - when are you over my way? (CM, not U)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    mac_shinobi:
    There isnt a desktop around, only laptops, of which I have now tried 3 - all of which work fine on the network elsewhere in the school.
    The cable from the port to the laptop has been a)remade and b)replaced (twice) and is pretty short now.
    The port has had a new faceplate including the wiring.
    The cable runs, through trunking across the room, across the gap outside, across my IT suite and straight into my main switch (NO patch panel involved) - which is my new procurve off which runs the whole IT suite - all ports are fine AFAIK. I did change the port just in case but no go.
    Looking at the cable, I think it is standard indoor cable that has been put in some sort of sheathing for the bit outside. (or does outside cable look the same?) I can reterminate the end that goes into my switch although, due to its location, I will have to do it standing on a chair!
    Brpilot99:
    I'm not sure about disconnecting the port and terminating the cable with an rj45 - well, I can do that, but reattaching it to the port is a different thing again and not something I have ever done - when are you over my way? (CM, not U)
    patching a cable into a patch panel is easy if you have the right tool line wire up push down job done

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    across the gap outside, across my IT suite and straight into my main switch (NO patch panel involved)

This wireing right into the switch is one of the bits that concerns me and where I would start. It is horribly bad practice from a wireing point of view to do it this way and is much more reliable if it is terminated to a patch pannel then patched in to the switch with a small patch lead. I suggest reterminating at the switch end even if it is with a RJ45 plug just to check.

Outdoor cable does look different and is generally thicker and black, it usually has writing on it to indicate that it is exterior grade as well. If it is off the ground and fully sheltered from rain it may be alright via internal cable but if you can see it directly when outside it is still a concern.

Thank Post
    Not talking about wiring a patch panel, but I mean the termination at the port end. I havent got a tool for that anyway, only the one for putting ends on cables.
    Will re-terminate the cable (already an RJ45) on Monday (standing on a chair, as I said) and then we will see....

Looks like internal cable covered in that black corrugated flexible stuff but TBH it is difficult to see
    Last edited by witch; 18th September 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Solved!!
    Those of you who were helping: it turns out that the cable, whilst not outdoor grade, was a bit heavier than normal cable - does it have a core or something? - and although my cable tester showed no issues, it didn't like being terminated in an RJ45. The cabling company re-terminated it into the patch panel and voila! It works!
    They have never seen such a thing - which makes me feel a little better.
    Thanks very much to all who helped me

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Did it look like this http://www.gd-wholesale.com/userimg/...-solid-452.jpg ???

If so it's cat6.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12