+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Rack power and power available in Technical; Good morning. Can anyone confirm some power requirements? Working backwards from a 42U rack, what would it need to contain ...

Thank Post

Rack power and power available

Good morning.

Can anyone confirm some power requirements? Working backwards from a 42U rack, what would it need to contain to be full, and what power would it use? A rack seems to need a 16 amp supply but my power supply is in Watts and at 240 volts. Thx.

Thank Post
    What devices will be in the rack? as a rough guide 13a is 3.12KW, 16a is 3.84KW. hope that helps?

3. Thanks to mjs_mjs from:

PCER (13th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Too many variables here - are you loading it with UPS's, Servers, Switches or just patch panels
    How many servers and types, models, loaded specification, load on the server, single or dual psu;s
    How many switches are the poe or not - if they are poe are all ports fully loaded with haevy weight devices or just ap's.
    How many UPS = are the ups only powering the rack or is there standard servers at the side too.
    Any NTU's powered KVM's, monitors?

5. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

Thank Post
    If your loading a 42u rack full of new servers you'll be needing a 32 amp supply. Half full you could just about get away with 16 amp depending on the servers.

Your question is a bit confusing. Watts = Amps x Volts. So amps = Watts / Volts. You should be able to work out your amps.

Butuz

7. Thanks to Butuz from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Watts = Amps x Volts. So amps = Watts / Volts. You should be able to work out your amps.
    Butuz
    That's only true if you have Power Factor Corrected (PFC) PSU's (which most servers have). However, most UPS'es are not PFC and will supply about 60% of the V/A-rating in Watts (ie a 1000VA UPS will support about 600 Watts).

9. 2 Thanks to Fuzzz:

dhicks (19th September 2010), PCER (13th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thank you for replying, I have thanked each of you.

The 42U rack would have in it as much as the 240V supply could handle! So that would be servers, a PDU, and whatever else would be needed, a 1U keyboard, any cooling? Someone says he has a 315V supply so the rack could be powered there if that's right.

If there was 32 amps for the 42U rack, does it follow that 64 amps would be required if there was then another rack added to the same supply later?

Thank Post
    it's pointless talking about supplies until you know what exactly is going into them....

12. Thanks to mjs_mjs from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, you don't power the rack - you power the contents....

So spec a UPS for the servers going into it, with PDUs as needed. the Rack is just a storage unit (unless its got fan modules in)

14. Thanks to Domino from:

Thank Post
    Yes. What to put in? The Dell R900 is 4U and takes up to approx. 1500W. A PDU is 2U and powers 3 servers up to 60A. A 42U rack could hold 8 R900s, 3 2u PDUs, and a KVM, leaving 3U. I assume the UPS is situated elsewhere and covers the entire power supply. At 230V single phase, each PDU needs to deliver 55A for the R900s at full power, which is right with the PDUs at up to 60A.

Cheers for reading.

Thank Post
    upto being the key word.... putting 63A into a rack is allot of power and i would be concerned with that. do you have access to a power meter? as yes they may be rated upto but realistically it's probably less. Also 8*1500 is 12KW which basically will be heat, how much cooling do you have available for that?

i personally would be more inclined to get out a meter or buy a cheep one and look at how much power is ACTUALLY being used. i asume you have redundant power supplies so you should be able to do that without any downtime.

17. Thanks to mjs_mjs from:

PCER (14th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Sorry to say this, but you seem to be so far from understanding really basic electrical theory that you need to get a professional in to design the system for you. I don't know of anywhere in the world that has a 315v supply.

We cannot give you an answer to your question, when you don't really know what the question is!

19. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

PCER (14th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Hello and thanks. Yes, thats 415V of course, 3 phase.

If a 42U rack cannot actually hold all the equipment, why are such tall racks available? Assuming that there is cooling in the computer room and/or warm aisle or cold aisle cooling, how much could actually be put in to the 42U rack? The 1,500 W is at full load anyway so the calculation allows for max power which there probably would not be. The servers using 1,500W are for virtualisation and have 256GB SDRAM which could allow for quite a few users if each has a guaranteed part of the SDRAM of less than 1,000MB each.

A main thing is that one rack takes up the space of one rack so why leave part empty and then get a second rack taking up more space and yet again leave it part empty?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The rack is just storage, you can fill it with whatever you like.

servers, switches, patch panels, whatever.

The rack doesn't care how much power is being supplied to the kit thats in it - its a metal cage.

There's guidelines for how much should be supplied to a single cabinet, but really you want to work the other way round - how much kit do you need, then how much power does that need, then how do you supply that power (UPS and all)

theres a hp tool that lets you simulate power load based on the kit you'll be using - do dell do something similar?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzz View Post
    However, most UPS'es are not PFC and will supply about 60% of the V/A-rating in Watts (ie a 1000VA UPS will support about 600 Watts).
    Thanks, I was wondering about that - was a tad puzzled why the UPS' (UPSes? UPSi?) I installed over the summer didn't seem to match up VAs and Watts. Now I've moved schools I might have to do the whole thing over again with a new set of servers - the power requirements are something I'm going to need to bear in mind. Also, it's worth pointing out that a fully-loaded 42U rack is going to weigh a fair bit and you need to check that your floor can handle it. Anyone who doesn't belive me can come along at half term and give us a hand hauling the server rack out of the floor...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Also, it's worth pointing out that a fully-loaded 42U rack is going to weigh a fair bit and you need to check that your floor can handle it. Anyone who doesn't belive me can come along at half term and give us a hand hauling the server rack out of the floor...
    I take it you've had a floor issue and your rack has sunk slightly?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast