+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Rack power and power available in Technical; Originally Posted by john I take it you've had a floor issue and your rack has sunk slightly? Indeed. Actually, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I take it you've had a floor issue and your rack has sunk slightly?
    Indeed. Actually, the air conditioning condensate outlet came adrift sometime over the summer, leaking water on the floor and turning it soft and moldy, at which point a corner of the rack went through the floor, into the ceiling of the photocopier room below. No real damage, but we have an embarrasingly lopsided looking rack at the moment.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pics or it didn't happen ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen ;-)
    Must agree, I think some pics are required on this

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Must agree, I think some pics are required on this
    Might be tricky - there's so much stuff wedged in to the server cupboard I can hardly get in. I did manage to figure out what the old server on the floor is used for, though - it turns out it's propping up the rest of the rack.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PCER View Post
    Yes. What to put in? The Dell R900 is 4U and takes up to approx. 1500W. A PDU is 2U and powers 3 servers up to 60A. A 42U rack could hold 8 R900s, 3 2u PDUs, and a KVM, leaving 3U.
    8 R900s is quite a serious amount of kit, if you can afford to buy the best part of 60k (list) of servers I'd be tempted to pay for some assistance in sorting our your electrical supply. Given electricity costs in data centres I really would speak to whoever will be hosting this lot to discuss the best way of handling it in their facility.

Quote Originally Posted by PCER
    If a 42U rack cannot actually hold all the equipment, why are such tall racks available?
    Because even a 1U rack would take up the same amount of floor space! It all depends on what you put in your racks, some kit is bulky, but doesn't draw huge amounts of power - if your network patching is rack mounted (as opposed to frame mounted) then you can loose a lot of a rack just down to patch panels. I've always ended up filling racks without a problem! You always find something to put in them.

Assuming that there is cooling in the computer room and/or warm aisle or cold aisle cooling, how much could actually be put in to the 42U rack?
    Speak to whoever owns/manages the computer room. Is this a facility you manage or are you colocating your equipment with someone else? Assuming the facility has already been built then chances are the power supplied to each rack will already have been determined. Making assumptions about the cooling is always a big mistake, ultimately no matter what the power feeds to a facility are it will be the cooling capacity that determines the amount of kit that it's sensible to locate in the facility.

The 1,500 W is at full load anyway so the calculation allows for max power which there probably would not be. The servers using 1,500W are for virtualisation and have 256GB SDRAM which could allow for quite a few users if each has a guaranteed part of the SDRAM of less than 1,000MB each.
    The only real world figures I've seen for the R900 was a draw of 800W under load, which would seem about right, although that will vary depending on configuration.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12