+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus AP physicall deployment. in Technical; Still not happy with things at my 6AP/ZoneDirector school I currently have 1AP in the hall, 1 in the suite,1 ...

Thank Post

Ruckus AP physicall deployment.

Still not happy with things at my 6AP/ZoneDirector school

I currently have 1AP in the hall, 1 in the suite,1 in staff room 1 in y6 (for y6 and y5), 1 in y3 (for y3 and y4) and 1 in middle class of Infants.

This morning got a call that Y4 teacher had to move laptops around the class the get a signal and it turned out that the suite AP had been turned off (it was the third nearest AP to that class).

I was dissapointed that it affected Y4 but since the APs are justt sitting on top on computers at the moment - I thought I'd better maybe get them screwed to the walls.

How have people got theirs physcially deployed. what sort of density have you got? This school is standard brick walls.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Single storey brick school with classrooms round a central hall. 7 x APs are sited almost every other classroom, on shelves close to the false ceiling. Coverage of the whole school, even Y6 can connect to an AP which is in a room at the other end of the school. Laptops hop from one AP to another as more laptops come online, thus spreading the load. No complaints so far. Are your APs plugged into ethernet sockets or are some of them meshed? That can make a difference I have found.

Thank Post
    even Y6 can connect to an AP which is in a room at the other end of the school.
    If you've got 7 APs why would a Y6 computer connect to an AP at the other end?

Surely there'd be closer APs it would connect to first?

regards

Simon

PS how many laptops/class at once (e.g I have 2 banks of 20 - sometimes 30 are used in one class at same time - sometimes there's 20 in one class 20 in another)

Thank Post
    Y6 don't do it on purpose, I just noticed it one day, they do of course connect to the one in Y6 most of the time. I don't have as many laptops as you, banks of 15 to 30 for pupils. All teachers have wireless laptops also which are hard wired in class but the teachers don't turn the wireless off so they are on as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread