+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Tosh Sat Pro L300D-22Z wireless problem in Technical; I have one laptop, the above mentioned Tosh, which is having trouble with the wireless - The connection is 'excellent' ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Tosh Sat Pro L300D-22Z wireless problem

I have one laptop, the above mentioned Tosh, which is having trouble with the wireless - The connection is 'excellent' apparently whether windows or the wireless network card utility (Atheros AR5007EG) controls it.
    I can do an ipconfig/all with no problems

BUT I cannot get on to the internet. Nothing else has changed.
    I have tried to update the wireless adaptor software but I cannot find a driver I can access.
    Is there anything else I could look at?

Thank Post
    Does the content of ipconfig /all look accurate when compared to a known working device?

Can you ping the DNS server IPs?

Can you ping the router?

Proxy etc all correct? (Can you ping the proxy?)

Thank Post
    I don't know if this relates...

I had a similar issue with a sat pro, when it came out of hibernation/sleep the wireless didn't turn on properly... it still held the details from before but just sat doing nothing. When I repair'd the connection it decided to wake up.

Thank Post
    I have looked at ipconfig/all and it looks fine
    Can ping the DNS server
    Dont know if I can ping the router as I dont know the address. I have tried various network crawler-type programs to identify it but with no luck. Router is OK as other wireless devices are connected to it.
    Have disabled wireless adaptor, restarted machine and allowed it to be redetected
    Proxy is all correct - if the laptop is connected via a cable to my network, all is fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depending on your setup the router very well could be the default gateway from ipconfig /all

I would also quickly try a "ipconfig /release" then a "ipconfig /renew" to pickup a new IP address.

What OS is the laptop running as this could also be a factor, if it is Vista or higher what network location is it set to, i.e. Home, work, public (if it is set to the wrong zone it may not let traffic on the proxy port through.

Can you access any local sites such as switch or router configuration pages from a browser (try http://ip-of-default-gateway)

Does the laptop have any antivirus on it, many of these try to 'protect' overzellously and may not be configured to let proxy or even web traffic in on the ip range of your wireless network, you could try turning off all av and firewall components temporarily to give this a quick check.

Also have you tried multiple browsers, sometimes IE (especially on XP) gets very stroppy and refuses to talk to the network stack, I'd be tempted to also give firefox a bash.

Does your wireless AP/router also have some switchports on it that the lapto could be directly attached to in order to remove wireless from the equation but still be on the same wireless ip range.

Thank Post
    IPconfig/release etc doesnt help
    Firefox gives same result
    Found the router IP - can ping it
    Other laptops can pick up the wireless in this room, so it is definitely a laptop problem.
    The AP is on the ceiling so directly connecting it could be problematic, and I am not sure if it has a network port I could use - I'll have a look tomorrow
    The laptop gives the same result anywhere in the school so it is not specific to this AP - but maybe the wireless IP range?
    The laptop works fine on our network, so it cant be the home/work/public thing, can it? Or is this set differently for wireless?It is XP SP2
    We are running NOD32 but it is on all the school laptops so I cant see how this one only would be affected if there is an anti-virus problem.
    I will look and see if I can access any local sites .
    Thanks so far - this is my first experience of a wireless network so I am a bit far down the curve ATM
    Maybe a wireless driver update? If I could find one!
    Last edited by witch; 6th September 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Back in work now so tried a few things:
    Disabled the wireless adaptor and took the machine out of range of that WAP. Reinstalled updated driver on other end of school. Did NOT put machine on wired network. Only got 'limited connectivity this time - no IP address
    Tried 'Repair' but could not get an IP address.
    Looked at the details: nothng under Default Gateway, DNS server or WINS server.
    Does this shed any light? I am struggling to understand why it would be assigned an IP address over the wired network but not the wireless?
    Why would this be and where should I look? The laptop works fine when physically connected to the network.
    If I try and access the wireless when the computer is logged on to the network, that's when I get the excellent connectivity but no internet - checking it out, I see that it has an IP address .

When connected this way - that is, after I am on the network and the machine has an IP but no internet, I can ping google or any other ads fine
    Last edited by witch; 7th September 2010 at 08:05 AM.

Thank Post
    * Possibly sorted it - found a note on a site which suggested that it might be the bios so I updated that and now it *seems* to be working.
    No thanks to Tosh Support though, who would not accept that my wireless access points were fine (checked with other laptops) and suggested restoring the laptop to Vista to see if that would work!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread