+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, What speed Internet do you get provided from your LEA in Technical; Originally Posted by ashok Someone mentioned that we shoudnt't compare the different services which is fine as they are all ...

Thank Post

Re: What speed Internet do you get provided from your LEA

Quote Originally Posted by ashok
    Someone mentioned that we shoudnt't compare the different services which is fine as they are all different, but i think the provides i.e. RBC/LEA then should state that the 10mb service is local to the nearest pop or distribution point and you are not getting the full 10mb pure internet service out to the UK gateway! but sharing this with other schools and county probably!.
    Unfortunately nobody, anywhere would be able to tell you that you had the 1:1 contention you seem to expect. The internet (and networks in general) are all based on shared bandwidth services. For xDSL it's much more obvious, and bandwidth is a lot more 'shared'. For a dedicated circuit (of and kind) you get the capacity back to wherever the line terminates; but at some point on the way to whichever network you are connecting to (be it in the same building as your POP or another continent) there is going to be contention.

I'll agree with you that some network providers (particularly with schools, perhaps?) are overloading circuits perhaps a little too much and providing visible performance degredation but you are can never guarantee full bandwidth on a shared network like the internet. There's no such thing as a 'UK Gateway', it's just a series of links between networks. Very few ISPs would have a single connection to the internet (it doesn't make cost effective sense for one) but even at a town > central LEA level, you can't realistically expect guaranteed bandwidth all the way and LEAs (or other ISPs) publishing 'contention' figures would only serve to muddy the waters and confuse everyone - as it's simply not how you plan and manage networks.

The sensible thing to do would be to ask your ISP to take a close look at their peak time usage and decide whether their network has sufficient capacity to cope with this and still provide a reasonable level of service.

Thank Post

@GeeDee..

Agree that there's a massive difference across the board but in North Yorks we've heard the arguements time and again about how we're getting a 2mb synch' connection when in fact we've been getting closer to 1mb so long as there's no rain, leaves in LOS, wind, etc.. Not to mention there are key points of the day when we're slowed to a crawl by the library, etc.. running at peak capacity and taking our BW.

When you're paying £4.5k for the service and it's so unreliable and you could get better service from a single ADSL line (cost: £25pm) along with a SchoolGuardian license to handle the content filtering (approx £450) you start to wonder why on {deitys} green stuff you're still with the hapless LEA offering.

So, with the greatest of respect I'll complain loud.. we're getting ripped off.

Thank Post

Absolutely - if the service is poor, you should be complaining - and even louder if it's a none-dsl circuit!

My point was simply that there's a lot of 'OMG you get internet at £25 per month and we pay £12k for our 2mb circuit from the LEA' type talk around these boards; and people should know the difference between the different products. If the service from your LEA is dire, then I suppose it's possible xDSL might be the only option for some schools, but personally i'd think long and hard about reccomending that any school drop their LEA service and go it alone with DSL. I'd also make lots of loud noises at whoever is responsible for my LEAs service - but i'm sure you've done that already.

Luckily in Hampshire I can't really complain about the service we get. Don't know how other counties compare, but the service is almost entirely managed by the county itself and not a 3rd party company and they do a reasonably good job of it. It's just the physical network they contract out I believe, but individual sites never have to deal with the contractors once the service is live. You get the usual levels of bureaucracy; but that's par for the course with government and they are more than a little paranoid with their firewall policies, but again I can see the logic. Our 10meg circuit generally copes with a high level of throughput throughout the day though and there's almost never downtime.

Do a lot of other LEAs farm everything out to private companies then or are they just crap at managing their own services?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GeeDee
    Do a lot of other LEAs farm everything out to private companies then or are they just crap at managing their own services?
    Yes, and (by proxy) yes. Around here (Lincs) there's too much gunk and misdirection between "person with problem that needs fixing" and "person who can fix problem". If the involved companies have trouble getting each other to respond to (pretty simple) requests, what chance does a school with no (or a laughable) SLA have?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts

You get what you pay for
    I don't believe we do which is why we are looking at the alternatives.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    We have roughly about 3 meg microwave link. It bounces round all the schools in the area. They recently came and fitted a phone line though so maybe they are planning something a little better!!!
    We are in East Lancs Chris and had four ADSL lines put in by Cleo, not for us but for 4 local Primary Schools who were originally connected through the local FE College which is being rebuilt, so their connections were re-routed via our wireless link.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    You get what you pay for
    I don't believe we do which is why we are looking at the alternatives.

Ben
    As I understand it Norfolk LEA will not provide funding if you withdraw from E2BN. How are you going to find the money for a similar speed connection (do you have 8Mb?) or are you going to run a seperate line because apparently that will breach the conditions of your aggreement with E2BN?

Thank Post

We're currently going through our very restricted LEA link - 8mb (supposedly) - and using a basic 1MB ADSL as backup (plus connection for our VLE to the outside world). We're looking at upgrading to 4.5mb ADSL (possibly two bonded) and using the LEA link as backup. I'm not sure we'd be allowed to ditch the LEA altogether, but I am hoping we can bargain for a reduction on our extortionately high bill from the LEA based on the fact we'd be using a lot less of their "service"

Thank Post

We dont use LEA for internet we do it all externally and in-house, so much easier and a hell of a lot cheaper, plus we are in-control of what kids can view, but we get 8mb, bonded 4mb line, due to crap exchange round here

Thank Post

In my primary's (feeders for Ben) All apart from one have 2Mbit SDSL lines over BT copper. Net access is provided by the LEA and is heavily contended and content filtered. The remaining school can't have broadband due to line quality so have had to settle for single channel ISDN (64kbit) They are soon to get fibre!!

Its something to be able to go home and download at over 400K/s on my 8Mb +Net connection which didn't really start in the schools.

Also, the Edugeek site is not whitelisted at LEA so its not uncommon to see it web filtered.

Craig

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, we've just moved onto the NGN (next generation network), which our LEA says we have to be on. and was supposed to up us to 8mb.

Lets just say we've taken to calling it the next generation Not-work

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Domino
    Well, we've just moved onto the NGN (next generation network), which our LEA says we have to be on. and was supposed to up us to 8mb.

Lets just say we've taken to calling it the next generation Not-work
    ive heard about this, you have to provide a resonable download as well as upload for VLE and for teachers to use the school network from home, but i didnt know how well it worked.

Thank Post

Phil: After looking into this we are tied into the lea because they give us the 26K a year from the Government money they get for Internet connectivity they then take it back from us to pay them for their shocking service.

If an LEA is part of an RBC they can keep 100% of this funding. If they are not part of an RBC they have to divolve this funding to the schools themselves.

I just hope in the future that the schools are given the money directly or that the funding to the LEA dries up and schools have to budget for their connectivity.

When that day comes we will be out of the Norfolk solution faster than you can say something really short.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    Phil: After looking into this we are tied into the lea because they give us the 26K a year from the Government money they get for Internet connectivity they then take it back from us to pay them for their shocking service.

If an LEA is part of an RBC they can keep 100% of this funding. If they are not part of an RBC they have to divolve this funding to the schools themselves.
    Doesn't mean to say that you can't get your governers and heads from schools talking to each other..

I'm sick of hearing how ruddy wonderful the LEA service is supposed to be given that practical experience is proving that it's anything but...

I suspect that until the LEAs are actually outed for their behaviour it's going to be business as usual, which granted isn't bad everywhere but here it's a joke..

Thank Post

True it doesn't mean we can't talk and we do. Everytime the LEA hosts an event which is to talk to all schools representatives and explain what they are doing there is always a good slanging match over how terrible the Internet service is.

Trouble is it won't change how the funding is allocated.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast